The Holy Spirit Explored (Scripture & Photos Examined)

Discussion in 'Religion' started by bearer_of_truth, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

'He' has no voice.

Indeed..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

'We' are His Voice.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Supposition.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Evidence?

8. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

"Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony."

That you do not accept the testimony is all the evidence you need.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What's that?
    You made a claim. Back it up, please.

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the "funny" part here is that your "evidence" is a book that has not only not been shown to be correct but that has been shown to be verifiably wrong on so many subjects.
    And, of course, you don't "know", you believe.
    There's a subtle, but vitally important difference, between those two.

Which just goes to show that you don't know what "evidence" means.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I think the big thing all people of religion need to remember is that we are to be humble in our worship, to do so for the praise of God, not to show off for others.

12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

There were four images in your first post. Two were obviously art works. It isn't clear what the third was, though it looks to me like a detail from a painting. The last image doesn't display on my browser.

It's already been pointed out (repeatedly) that 'orbs' sometimes appear in photographs. They are typically optical artifacts such as lens flares. I'd guess that similar optical defects can occur in the eye as well.

How do you know that? People (Spidergoat prominent among them) have already pointed out that whatever anomalous images may exist are open to many different interpretations. We need more argument for why your personal interpretation is the correct one.

Well sure, since it's seemingly where the idea originated. (It's possible that the idea of holy spirits predates the Bible in earlier Middle Eastern mythology. I'm not sure about that.)

The logical problem is connecting what may or may not be anomalous images with the Holy Spirit idea. That still looks a bit like a personal leap of faith on your part.

That's getting out in front of the horse in my opinion. It only makes sense if we already accept your fundamental thesis that your images (artworks, photographs or whatever they are) are indeed evidence of the existence of the Bible's 'Holy Spirit'. If we already believe that, then sure, we probably should consult the Bible to see what more it says.

Your colleagues? Do you picture yourself as some kind of scholar?

Condescension works best when a person is in the position to pull it off.

Or optical anomalies, associated with lenses.

Eyes are optical systems with lenses.

And that's where the whole thing turns into a statement of your own personal belief.

It may (or may not) be vaguely interesting from a psychological and sociological perspective that you possess particular beliefs. But those beliefs still aren't very plausible at this point for those of us who don't already share them. If you want to recruit the rest of us to believe as you do, then you need to be much more convincing.

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Your own voice is simultaneously the voice of God?

(How humble that is.)

Right. Many of us aren't convinced that evangelists actually know everything that they claim to know.

If we were to simply believe everything that we're told to believe, then that would make things very easy for evangelists.

But it would also be a recipe for the rankest sort of credulity.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

And that's the whole problem. All claims of knowledge about God comes through people. And with faith, there is no questioning it. Which leads to abuses of power.

15. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

And they can not win, for they will lose in the end.

16. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Uttered with all the pompous tones you can muster, no doubt. You certainly are an offensive troll.

17. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Back before the internet, bot would be wearing sandals, a dirty robe, and be standing on a downtown street corner with a sign saying 'repent, the end is near'. Now, with the internet, he doesn't have to put on the robe.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, I'm chosen, no matter what I believe. One of the perks of being a Jew.

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Does your invite say "+1"?
    I'll buy you a drink...

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

OK, but you gotta cut the end of your dick off.

21. bearer_of_truth Registered Senior Member

I wasn't speaking to you. I was speaking to my Christian brother. You needn't be offended by that what you do not believe.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No one is offended by what fairy tales you may believe in. People are offended by your attitude.

23. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Too right, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.