The history of sexism...where did it begin? Why? Can we rid our world of it?

Discussion in 'History' started by wegs, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I have heard this before, that men prefer someone who is slightly less intelligent than they are. Maybe its an ego thing. Nothing worse than being told you are stupid repeatedly. I wonder if someone has actually done a study on it?

I think there is a little tongue in cheek in the article but it mentions a study:
    http://www.angryharry.com/esMenareMoreIntelligentthanWomen.htm
    That puts the blame on the woman in the relationship. She decides whether the male is more intelligent than her.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Christiane Amanpour CNN discussed sexism in the US military and mentioned a documentary called "Invisible War".
    I see it is on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8i_WoaIyM4

Seems they are going to have trouble getting rid of sexism over there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I'm going to watch that ^^ later...thank you for posting it for me/us!

Just so I'm clear, I'm in no way suggesting that smart men marry unintelligent women, across the board. And honestly? I hesitate to judge someone's intellect because more than IQ should be taken into the equation. But, it's worth exploring, because I've read that men like to feel 'needed.' They are on average, 'task solvers,' and they like when 'their women' come to them, in search of answers. AGAIN, THIS IS BASED ON A FEW ARTICLES OVER THE YEARS THAT I'VE READ. So, I can't help but wonder...are we biologically wired to a degree, to want different things from the opposite sex?

Not that we are not equal. Not that we are not one another's intellectual equal...but is it as simple as men and women wanting different things from one another? (merely based on our biological differences?)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

We can rid sexism from the world when we engineer everyone with BOTH sets of genitalia, alternatively we engineer everyone to be incapable of hate or greed but that won't alleviate minor sexism produced by pure ignorance. We can train humans to recognize when they are being discriminatory and to correct their own behaviour, but some people will refuse.

8. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

So you are talking strictly about SEX, or some other "different things" that we are biologically wired for?
    I have noticed women/men have a lot more in common with their own sex, (I'll put an unscientific figure on it -) 90% of the time.

9. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Weg

You give too many men too much credit for thinking ahead or even caring.

Too many, like our friend here, just want big boobs, the right fit and beer money.

Oh. His ilk needs drugs to do it as well.

Real men want more of course but as Jesus said, the path is narrow for those of us who know how to value things.

Regards
    DL

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Unscientific statement.
    Men and women may or may not have much in common with each other but most agree that men do not want to live with men and women do not want to live with women.

Unless gay.

As to why women like women more than men.

Ask any real man. When you can handle the truth.

Regards
    DL

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I will list later more of what I meant; but no, not sex.
    Why did you put "sex" in all caps?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Lol yes sadly

And Jesus is a good example of a man who didn't treat women as second class, even though the times he lived in, commanded it.

Women understand each other better, but some women prefer male friends to female. We could go on and on about all this but the topic might turn sideways.

Sexism is more of a persistent attitude. Like I've met jerks who are men, but I don't say all men are jerks. Some men and women, throw a canvas over an entire gender.

That's sexism.

12. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I was trying different fonts (like you did) but the computer locked up. LOL

13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, those pesky keyboards.

14. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I was asking for clues about those other things ..... OK, that was a bit obvious.
    Look this is what I wrote what are "some other "different things" that we are biologically wired for?"
    Can you think of them? You were going to list them.
    OK I could have expressed myself clearer and I am embarrassed now that I even mentioned it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  15. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Are you bragging about yourself again?

16. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I was in a bit of a rush today, and what with this old computer locking up, making it impossible to edit my post.

So I am very sorry to the forum for using the wrong word, for really it was just the one word that seems to have prompted "Greatest I am" to rubbish me.

I truly value the exchange of ideas.

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I was joking with you thus using the "

" face.
    Whenever you see that, I'm attempting to joke around.

No worries at all.

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I will list them later yes...

19. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I am doing a bit of research into the topic. The first article seemed to emphasize the differences but the article ended on an optimistic note:
    "Differences Between Men and Women"
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/21st-century-aging/201209/differences-between-men-and-women
    Well that seems positive.

20. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

In a small way.

Only in the fact that I know what I look for in myself and others.

Regards
    DL

21. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Words are important and in these places, that is what is responded to.

Regards
    DL

22. sculptor Valued Senior Member

sexism is far older than our species
    young males are encouraged(forced) to leave the herd, clan, tribe, pride, etc... while females are welcome to stay

(wild guess du jour) sexism is encoded in our dna

23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

@ robittybob...I REALLY like that ..,thanks for posting it. Yeah, that's quite true. I will write more later when I'm not using this stupid phone. Never again will I buy an apple product. :/

@ sculptor...I know u

I will disagree because that would be like saying racism is something we're born with too, and I'm of the opinion, sexism like racism is a learned behavior or attitude towards one group of ppl.

But, you are saying maybe our gender roles are somehow encoded? That's interesting.