The Greatest Civilization Ever

Discussion in 'History' started by Slacker47, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

My favorite civilization from history is the Norsemen or Vikings. My freind is way more into them than I am, but they are definitely my favorite. Second place would be the Mongols, and third would be a cannibalistic tribe in the Congo.

I just really like the Norse way of life. Bitter weather, shitty land, and they kicked ass and sailed into unknown regions for the hell of it.

What is your favorite civilization?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

American of course...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Although when the game Civ 3 came out, there was a huge debate about whether we're a distinct civilization.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

What is the one of the oldest civilizations that has survived to this day and still thrives? A: The Hebrews! This ones usually overlooked.

I also like the mongols. They woke up one morning, and decided seemingly over tea that they were going to conquer the world that day. But now they're in the shitts. STill a neat country and society, but they aint gonna conquer nothing anymore.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Given time, maybe America becomes a distinct civilization. At present with only 200+ years it barely if at all qualifies.

I would think the Greeks. Romans were envious enough to try a copy their civilization, right down to the same gods. (Even if they renamed them) Copycatting is the best sort of flattery. It tells you that the Greeks had something going for them even then.

Much of present day advances can be traced directly back to their roots in Greece.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

the civilization of greenland, lead by cool skill shall triumph over all history.

9. Cthulhu_X Registered Member

USA all the way...

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

the dutch in the 17th century...

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Byzantium.

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Communist Russia, it can't get more interesting then that.

13. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

India. They kicked everyone's butt with their elephant army until the British came.

14. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

History is interesting but not something I am an expert at. Some civilizations have enourmous wealth, great military power, and advanced scientific knowledge. The United States has all of these, making it my favorite civilization, but we should not plunder these talents or we will lose them forever.

Next to us, I admire the British, Germans, India before it broke up because of religious disputes, the Babylonians, and a few of the East Asian cultures.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  15. moonman Registered Senior Member

Whichever would win in a battle between a Norse-Viking-Warior or a Fanatical-Kung-Fu-Buddhist-Warrior-Monk.
    This is a debate of much speculation.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

my favourite is Greek civilization
    favourite historical figure though comes from Macedonia

17. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

The greatest civilization? Easy, it was the greeks. They changed the world and us humans more than any other.

18. spookz Banned Banned

babylon iraq

19. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Nah. The Romans absorbed the greeks, made their culture part of their own. Technically we live in a Roman society, besides the technology things haven't really changed much. As far as I'm concerned it still exists in most of the nations on Earth.

Darius is my favorite historical character, he's got an awesome line. He conquered a huge portion of the world as well, methinks. "I am Darius, king of kings, look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

That's how I think it goes.

20. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

FCaptain,

They only had an effect on Western Civilization. They didnt touch the Chinese. China is probably the most magnificient culture in the world, but I still stand by the Vikings.

21. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

The Greeks and Romans were ok when they lasted, but are either still around today in a form other than affecting everyone? The Greeks today are bordering on Third World status.

22. Mr X Guest

The Chinese? Got around pretty well, and invented many old but everyday tools we take for granted.

(edited)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003
  23. spookz Banned Banned

the polynesians