The Fish Fry, an American concept?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by superstring01, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And you got that right cold beer!!!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Wednesdays and Fridays are still days of penance in most Eastern Catholic Churches (and among the Orthodox), but in the Roman Church, only Fridays, as memorials to the day our Lord was crucified, remain as weekly penitential days on which abstinence from meat and other forms of penance are expected as the norm.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

yeah i havn't graduated to sashimi yet.. a little to much raw in one bite.. gotta work my way up. hehe

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

The deal with Fish Fries is that it's usually a non-profit org (like the local Irish American Club, German American Club, Polish American Club, Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, Lutheran Church, VFW [Veterans of Foreign Wars Clubs], etc.) that makes fish staples (crab cakes, fried cod, grilled salmon, bakes scrod, fried shrimp, etc) and you go in and pay for your plate and eat the food on large tables that usually seat 10-12 people (usually unknown to you). The money usually goes towards some project that the club/organization is working on. You dine in a large hall and it's very large and crowded. Sometimes fun if you go to a place that is frequented by many people you know. In the case of my community, the local VFW, GAC and IAC are frequented by people and the families of people I grew up with, so it's sort of like a reunion... a time to catch up. My parents see people they've known for years, and I get to hobnob with guys I went to high school with.

~String