The effect of genetic gerentology treatments on society.

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by tetra, Feb 28, 2001.

?

What do you think about genetic gerontology/alteration?

Poll closed Mar 10, 2001.
  1. It will be the greatest achievment of mankind

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Science is the work of Satan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We will all go crazy

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. WTF is gerontology!?

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. kmguru Staff Member

Universe unfolds as it should. First we will tinker to solve dreadful genetic defects. Then we will enhance to improve physical structure and health so that we do not have to have a medicare bill so large. That process itself will increase longivity to 120 years in near term.

Then when we tinker to improve cosmetics, moralists will jump in. Only the rich can go to Mexico and have the genetic procedure done. It will be against the law to look good or feel good by gene manipulation. Since no one will know for sure that a procedure will keep you alive for 500 years, doctors will queitly perform procedures to that objective. And so life will continue for the next 50 years.

Then if we can find a way to keep our soul, spirit, memory intact and float for thousands of years and go to another planet to be born again in human form....well...the cycle will be complete.

Just a thought....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Eisen95 Registered Member

Any sort of Bio-engineering which involves changing the genetic sequence should be banned either with Genetically modified crops or human genetic engineering. Genetic engineering violates the principles of Natural law and only just creates more disruption in the enviroment. Human beings were not designed to live for eternity, we all have to die sometime it is part of the natural cycle. You can live a more healthy and fullfillling life by eating healthily and preventing possible health problems before they become a reality. Death is the natural conclusion to life only fools want to live forever.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

What is the Natural Law?

I think I missed that class.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jay Renalsds Registered Member

Bio-engineering, like all other sciences should not be controlled or limited in its scope because to do so is to limit ourselves. Science and the quest for knowledge should not be hindered by the "Natural Law" (what is that anyway).

8. kmguru Staff Member

Welcome to Sciforums Jay.

In view of the terrorist threats, we need to watch our experiments so that it does not fall into the wrong hands.

I have no idea what a natural law is - as if we are un-natural specis!

9. Imahamster Registered Senior Member

10. tetra Hello Registered Senior Member

Humans weren't designed to live past 35, but hey here we are.
    Well I guess I'm a fool.

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I guess that shows that we wern't designed in the first place or the original design was so attrocious, otherwise we would not have been able to so easily exceed the original specification.