The Dangers of Being Smart

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by KilljoyKlown, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

Sorry. I mistook you for someone with the intellect to extract appropriate irony from a post that agreed with you by highlighting the natural extension of your point to an extreme position. I shan't make that error a second time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I might if I knew you a little better. You haven't been around very long. Give some time maybe.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

How do smart people like um Atila and Adolf go bad?

People believe in them. An they believe everyone does. Is that right.
    Just asking..

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Actually I believe even most theist reject the extreme creationist view of our existence here on Earth. But, yes I pretty much think all religious thinking is wrong.

I do think it's possible that people join a specific religion for many reasons other than a strong belief in God as defined by that religion. Another example, atheist boy wants theist girl and her family is strongly theist with very strong ties to a theist community. Boy needs to fit in or give the girl up. Can you tell the difference between someone faking it for years and a real believer?

8. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

WELL, this needs to be in the religious sub forum!

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I'm saying that you are working out of a caricature of theism (ie. you focus on one single mainstream version of Christianity), and then reject all of theism (ie. all theistic religions, not just Christianity) based on that caricature.

How do you live with yourself having done that?

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

You are taking a single example and expanding my intent to mean something more than I intended. True I'm not a theist, but that shouldn't mean I can't caricaturize any element of it to make a point. After all I grew up in a theist world and have the right to treat it any way I please. Also, as far as living with myself. No problem, I never give it a second thought.

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Your rejection of theism is based on a caricature of theism - and you're okay with that?

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The only thing I'm not okay with is your untrue statement. My atheistic belief is not based on a caricature of theism.

13. iceaura Valued Senior Member

What that seems to point to is a hazard of poor education in youth, not intelligence. Challenging the young on their developing beliefs, getting them used to recognizing and adjusting to their own errors and misdirections, should be a regular feature of education at all ages.

"As the twig is bent, so grows the tree" does not apply to smart people only, after all - and while we do often see a cooption of intelligence by various otherwise discredited ideologies and belief systems, often material reward explains a good deal of the apparent obliviousness of the smart people so taken. Meanwhile, we see no deficit of dumb people among the believers in asshattery. They are fully represented.

If you can't argue the smart out of delusions because they are too smart for you, on the other hand you can't argue the dumb out of them because they can't follow your argument. So there's no actual penalty for smarts - unless you have a lot invested in your own personal unsinkable ship of infallibility.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

You don't think that this -

A conservative right wing religious belief according to which there really is a God and he really did pull an almost 5 billion year old Earth out of his magical hat 6,000 years ago.

is a caricature of theism?

You really think that this -

A conservative right wing religious belief according to which there really is a God and he really did pull an almost 5 billion year old Earth out of his magical hat 6,000 years ago.

is essentially what theism is?

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Do you base theism on my caricature of creationism. Seems you have pulled what I said out of context, but even so, it seems obvious what I'm referring to. But yes there are a lot of very smart people on many sides of theism. They just can't offer any proof with their arguments.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Could you please, for the sake of clarity, state what you believe theism is?

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Good enough for me.)

18. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Well I am being enlightened some.
    Human science
    Or
    Religion
    An I would say this is all. Religious in context. One way or the other

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Or you just stubbornly refuse to accept them.

:shrug: