The Cons of String Theory

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Reiku, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

Con: String Theory goes against the sensibility of Einstinean and Minkowski spacetime.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

False. This is not true. What makes you say this?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

Because Einstine and Minkowski showed that space and time were four dimensions. String Theort has extended from this original conlcusion, therefor, STRING THEORY DOES NOT WORK IN THE ORGINAL FOUR DIMENSIONS OF RELATIVITY, BUT RATHER THAT THEY NEED AND REQUIRE MUCH MORE.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

This is absolutely not true. General Relativity is consistent in ANY number of space and ANY number of time dimensions.

8. Reiku Banned Banned

I'll explain this ONE MORE TIME Ben before i go, then after this, make a final comment and lock the thread.

You said...

''This is absolutely not true. General Relativity is consistent in ANY number of space and ANY number of time dimensions.''

YBut my point was, and hence the CON, string theory cannot. Therego, string theory works only in dimensions extended of relativity. It is inconsistant in the original four alone. Why can't you understand this>?

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

How many master's theses have you written on String Theory? I've written one

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Look, the fact that string theory requires extra dimensions beyond four is, in and of itself, a con. String theory PREDICTS the dimension of space-time, which is more than you can say about general relativity. Ten/eleven dimensions can be taken as a firm prediction of string/M theory. GR makes no similar prediction.

10. Reiku Banned Banned

Nope. Written none. To be quite frank, i wouldn't waste my time. I'd rather write a book on Aether Wave Theory

:bugeye:

But as for the rest, yep... no probs.

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So we agree that

is not true, and moreover string theory is actually better than GR in this regard?

12. Reiku Banned Banned

No... what i do agree with is that we had crossed wires, for when you said, ''Look, the fact that string theory requires extra dimensions beyond four is, in and of itself, a con,' is more or less a much more coherent configuration than what i was letting on.

As for you latter comment there:

''is not true, and moreover string theory is actually better than GR in this regard?''

Why do you say this... Its not that i am arguing, just interested.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I should have said (and thought I did) this:
    String theory PREDICTS that space-time should have ten or eleven dimensions.

Well, like I said, string theory PREDICTS that space-time should be four or five dimensional... GR doesn't do this---it is consistent in ANY number of space and time dimensions.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

String theory predicts that spacetime if 'FOUR,' or five...

Sorry... I thought string spacetime needed to be ATLEAST, five. Wouldfour be inediqaute, or, is it that one of the theories predicts no time dimension and four space?

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

No---string theory predicts a ten or eleven dimensional space-time. The fact that we observe four dimensions means that six or seven of the dimensions must be compact.

16. Reiku Banned Banned

Was this just wee typo then?

''Well, like I said, string theory PREDICTS that space-time should be four or five dimensional... ''

As for the compactness, i think currently we can probe spacetime to 100 micrometers, and i think the theory predicts a visible dimension at 200...

17. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, yes, it should be. When did I say this?

18. Reiku Banned Banned

On this thread ben...

19. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

ummm, can you link to the thread, because I can't find it... Either way, if I did say this, then it is a typo.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

1oth post, 3rd paragraph.

21. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

ugh right

sorry

22. Reiku Banned Banned

Its alight. We all make mistakes. Me especially...

23. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So, back to the point:

String theory predicts a dimension for space-time, which GR doesn't. You may hate the fact that that prediction isn't four, and many people do. But string theory predicts something, where GR doesn't.