The Building of the Pyramids

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by ghost7584, Jan 30, 2005.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

Moving big stones was an easy thing for ancient civilisations. Last year, whilst on holiday in Egypt, I visited a quarry at Aswan, where the majority of the stone for the pyramids was sourced. There was an unfinished megalith, a 'needle', hewn out of the rock, that they gave up on because it cracked at the top. It would have weighed nearly 1000 tons when complete.

They wouldn't have spent all that time and effort cutting out the shape if they were incapable of moving such stones.

So if you have doubt Ghost, go to Egypt, and see for yourself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Ropes and rollers.
    On the basis of what evidence do you say no? Have you tried? Vines are pretty damn strong.
    Well, let's see. Based upon personal experiment I find that I can push half a ton, on rollers, over prepared ground quite easily.
    From this I believe that the the 400 ton monoliths were moved by a team of eight hundred bald, pot-bellied, fifty six year old Scotsmen, with high blood pressure and a taste for Nuits St. George.
    You may well challenge this on the basis that the Scots at this time were not renowned as sailors. I would respond that clearly they had been abducted and carried there by alien spacecraft which landed them at Nazca. [I shall take any challenge to this theory as a slight on the constructional abilities of the Scots.]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And water. The ground there is of clay. Water it and any sledge slides good.
    That was shown in that BBC Pyramid program I told a few pages ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Damn. You are quite correct Avatar. A wet clay lubricant would dramatically lower the coefficient of friction. We can probably half the number of Scots required for all these megalithic constructs!

8. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

There has never been a problem postulating a method to move multi-ton rock slabs
    ON LEVEL GROUND. The problem is moving such objects up a steep incline, such as
    the side of a mountain or the side of a growing pyramid. Transporting soil to lessen
    the incline around a pyramid is often proposed as a means of reducing the work involved, but don't forget, you still have to have large enough of an area for those
    Scots to stand and pull. What diameter and what length would those ropes have to
    be to pull a 20 ton rock slab up the side of a mountain? Where would those Scots stand, on the side of the mountain with terraces built for secure footing, or on the
    top of the mountain with VERY long ropes? The ropes would need to be of a small
    enough diameter for those 'Scots' to grip. I am not stating it can't be done, as it obviously was done, but the mechanics required are not that simple.

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If the ropes are made of very many little ropes twisted together they don't need to be very big in diameter in order to be strong.

Nobody said it was simple, but I don't really see a need for aliens.
    We can only speculate on how the rocks were gotten up there, and there could be various methods applied, but none is a 100% sure till we find more evidence or it comes to the knowledge of the discussion particepants here.
    Maybe we don't know something that is known among the local archeologists.

We still today (as humanity) like to explain things that we don't understand with some divine powers or the new religion of the 20th century - aliens and science as their miracle.
    I think that in a few thousand years the people of the future will wonder and question whether we had an "outside help" to get to the Moon, because it "wouldn't have been possible with their archaic technology".

p.s. I've got news for you, ancient egyptians used a calendar more sophisticated, precise from the astronomical point of view and mathematically correct than the one we use today.
    Little arrogant us thinking that THEN people must have been dumb. Maybe we are the dumb ones not able to grasp how the stones were moved? Today we don't have bigger brains than people had in those times.

10. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Just to echo Avatar's points 2inquisitive. I certainly didn't mean to imply with my attempt at a humorous explanation that this was a simple task. It required an excellent understanding of material properties, mechanics, organisational skills, engineering, etc. These constructions were major achievements, equivalent to the moon landing in current terms. We should be proud of how much our early ancestors achieved.. (Especially if my hypothesis that they were all aided by Scots proves correct.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

11. Squeak22 4th Level Human Registered Senior Member

Ghost,

The way you are wording this is making it sound like you think they are moving the entire 400 tons at once. Apply a little common sense please. They obviously moved all 400 tons little by little, probably over several years. Now multiply that be several multiple teams, and you can build stuff rather quickly.

EDIT: And like it was mentioned earlier, even moving 400 tons is nothing... (Need to read up before posting.... hehe)

Ditto's on the getting the refund on your degree bit.

Squeak

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  12. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

So you accuse me of "avoiding the question," then when I give a direct answer that is critical, you avoid the answer?

Besides, the largest stones at Tiwanaku are 90 metric tons. There are no "400 ton" stones listed, not even the gate. The site isn't on a plataeu, there isn't a restricting path, and the grounds around the site are/were very fertile. Agriculture was a booming business for the people living there. Moreover, the site was occupied at around 400 BCE and monumental architecture was not new to pre-Columbian people by this time (not by any means).

13. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

Err.. i was joking dude. Actually i saw the BBC documentary about it, and the case they stated for the construction of the pyramids seemed to be the most viable one i have heard of .

14. Squeak22 4th Level Human Registered Senior Member

Um, what?

Where do you find all this BS? Or do you just make it all up?

15. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

Any Egyptian ruler with the wealth of his kingdom and the devotion of his people who believed him to be divine accomplished the same without computers, electricity, and slavery. The laborers that built the pyramids did so out of devotion for their gods, not because they were slaves.

One must marval at the ignorance of the significance junkie. First, Balabanova (who ran the tests which found the traces of cocaine, cannabis, and nicotine) didn't find any evidence of the "crack" version of cocaine. Second, cocaine producing plants aren't native to only South America as there are cocaine producing Erythroxylum species, which are indigenous to regions of Africa, India and Asia.

The South American coca plant belongs to the genus Erythroxylon contains over 200 species distributed throughout the tropics including the Americas, Asia, South Africa, Madagascar and Australia. There are even descriptions of plants in Egyptian epigraphy that are currently extinct, at least one of which was a very important spice. Perhaps one of these was in the Erythroxylon genus.

There are also plants in Europe and the Middle East which contain trace bits of nicotine, such as Beladonna, which was often used by ancient herbalists, shamans, and priests.

The rest of the nonsense you posted wasn't even worth commenting on.

16. Silas asimovbot Registered Senior Member

I think that, for once he was kidding, dude.

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Skin walker, I heard that the pharohs didn't live all that long. that they woudl have had to start building those pyramids before they were born...maybe you could get us up to speed on all that ......

18. John Smith II Banned Banned

I think that contemporary astrology with all it's fuss and flavours, inhibits, supresses, and discriminates individuality. I said that you don't need anything else except yourself if you want to notice yourself, so chill out. :m: :bugeye: :m:

19. Squeak22 4th Level Human Registered Senior Member

Ok Just wanted to be sure. Sarcasm doesn't translate well.

20. JoojooSpaceape Burn in hell Hippies Registered Senior Member

you had an interesting idea there, but then it exploded when you started going into the supernatural part. The magnetism idea is interesting, however that is a scientific result if it can be reproduced over adn over again with a common ground or way to show that X is why it happened. Ancient civilizations had a very fair knowledge of science etc. But grabbing into thin air for "Magic" etc is no way to make a suggestion.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I was just to ask the same question. He's a spammer or something like that. Look at other of his posts.

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I think "Dean" is a robot with a couple of constructed sentences to make it look like a human entry.

23. craterchains (Norval What will you know tomorrow? Registered Senior Member

Two photos gave away the method Ed used to move all his coral.

The slider beams on the tripods enabled "walking" the frame.

Looks up at stryders post, hmmmmmm.
    Looks down at stryders post,,, FOCLMFAO :bugeye:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005