The Binding Problem - A New Interpretation

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Reiku, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Reiku Banned Banned

If you are referring to the ice berg claim, then i was also wrong. The consensus view changed my opinions in the end. Is this what you wanted to hear? If it was, can we please return to science... physics preferably.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reiku Banned Banned

Spidergoat...
    I jope you read what i sent you. By the by, have you considered Synesthesia to be a product of evolution? Quite a lot of scientists seem to think so?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

So, by the time the information is processed to a state where we can act on it, it is in the past. We basically live in the past, although we can percieve patterns and make predictions, which lets us do things like catch a ball.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

Our information is old... not the time-scale unto which we are able to process the knowledge. It isn't that when we act on information, it is then in the past. This isn't entirely correct, but rather information always occurs during the present time.

The Mind howsoever, might display time-travelling abilities, due to the awareness of the subject... I've displayed idea's on this in the psychic thread.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is precisely in the past, although it's such a short time in the past that it is percieved as the present. We actually never percieve the present. Truthfully, we never really percieve reality, only filtered information.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

Spidergoat
    Hi. I don't know where you have learned this, but it isn't true.
    Time is a universal invariant, meaning that nothing can remove the laws of time from a system.
    Check on the net. The only real time, is present time. Things only ever exist during the present... what we might think as a delay into the past, is nothing but an llusion.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I know time is universal, but in the present, we are percieving information that is from the past, and mistake it for the present.

11. Reiku Banned Banned

Right... I think i've spotted your incongruity. First of all, you are treating the information as being ''unfixed'' - you are saying that infromation processed at the retina, remains in the past... but this is not true.
    The information is still subsequent to the passing of time. Thus, if information takes a fraction of a second to reach the brain, it still has to move a fraction of a second through time to reach the brain. It doesn't remain in the past.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But it is information about the past, it doesn't change itself to correspond to the present. Information about the present has yet to be processed, thus we live in a virtual world a fraction of a second behind reality.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

Right, i see your problem now.
    The information processed at the retina is stilla victim to time passing. It still needs to take a fraction of a second to reach the brain, which means that the information always remains in the present.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sure it remains in the present, but it isn't information about the present. When I see the sun, it is not the sun in the present, but the sun as it was about 8 minutes ago (plus the amount of time it took my brain to process that image).

15. Reiku Banned Banned

That is probably much more accurate. I can agree with that statement. Now entangle that with quantum physics, and you find that time is only time, if it is percieved.

Time would dissapear without the mind present. Measurement = Creation. So, we now find that the only real time ever, isn't only the present, but whenever the mind processes the duration of spacetime and matter-energy.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That's the same with every particular thing, no esoteric physics required.

17. Reiku Banned Banned

What do mean Spider?

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The unnamable is the eternally real.
    Naming is the origin
    of all particular things.

Tao Te Ching

Nothing has it's own intrinsic nature. Qualities like texture, time, taste, and appearance come from the interaction between the thing, our senses, and our brain.