That which endures......

Thank you, Kremmen. Training a horse to stand while one frames a picture can be the challenging part.

Lovely barn images, Trooper. Property taxes inside Whitehorse are quite high, less so in the communities where there are fewer services. Income taxes run about 20-22% if you earn around $30,000 per year and go up from there. One can reduce their income tax by starting a small home-based business with justifiable tax write-offs or by investing in RRSP's and similar. There is a home owner's grant of up to $450/yr if you reside in your place of residence at least six months of the year plus an $50.00 deduction for seniors.

Here is another picture taken with my Sony Experia two days ago. It is a completely different camera from the Fuji I used above. I am still learning how to use it.

DSC_0029.JPG

In keeping with the thread topic, I wonder how long digital images will endure? It is fascinating to me that we can share them almost instantly and replicate them without degradation or limit (as far as I know).

In keeping with the thread topic, I wonder how long digital images will endure? It is fascinating to me that we can share them almost instantly and replicate them without degradation or limit (as far as I know).

Reminds me of an episode of Siskel & Ebert, a hundred years ago. They were discussing films being allowed to degrade & 1 of them said it is good that so many are now being preserved on VHS.

Thank you Stryder, for removing the off topic content of the previous post.

Among that which endures are some amazing trees. It is quite amazing to me, that this specimen has survived the curiosity and traffic of so many of our kind, driving through an opening that was carved completely through it's trunk.

CarRedwoodLeggett.jpg

The Chandelier Tree in Drive-Thru Tree Park[1] is a 315-foot (96 m) tall coast redwood tree in Leggett, California with a 6-foot (1.8 m) wide by 6-foot-9-inch (2.06 m) high hole[2] cut through its base to allow a car to drive through. Its base measures 21 ft (6.4 m) in diameter. The name "Chandelier Tree" comes from its unique limbs that resemble a chandelier. The limbs, which measure from 4 to 7 ft (1.2 to 2.1 m) in diameter, begin 100 ft (30 m) above the ground. The tree is believed to have been carved in the early 1930s by Charlie Underwood

20111211-232041.jpg

Among that which endures are some amazing trees. It is quite amazing to me, that this specimen has survived the curiosity and traffic of so many of our kind, driving through an opening that was carved completely through it's trunk.

IF only those trees could talk.

Do you know how many have been cut like that? I hope not many yet doing it with 1, 2 or 3, I think, demonstrates their strength & endurance.

The ‘Wawona’ tree, the most famous among the Mariposa Grove of Big Trees in Yosemite National Park, stood at an incredible 227 feet tall. It was 90 feet in circumference, and a hole big enough for park visitors to drive through had been cut in the base where it had sustained a fire scar. As such, it’s often called the ‘Drive Through Tree’ or the ‘Tunnel Tree’. Unfortunately, the Wawona tree fell in 1969 under an estimated two-ton load of snow. It was approximately 2,300 years old.

wawona-drive-through-tree.jpg

Tunnel Log.

6156596765_525a274531_z.jpg

Tour Thru Tree, Klamath, California

IMG_0392-771461.jpg

047_nickgailpacnowest11.jpg

photos%5C2464P4Shrine%20Drive%20thru%20tree2.jpg

Good question.

I have seen negatives that are 100 years old that you could still make prints from. And I have floppy discs that are less than 15 years old that are obsolete.

Good question.

I have seen negatives that are 100 years old that you could still make prints from. And I have floppy discs that are less than 15 years old that are obsolete.

As I recall, digital files are quite sensitive to magnetism as used to be found in the large speakers and TV's of old. It does make one wonder if an exceptional solar flare might be capable of wiping out a significant portion of our digital data base. I suppose the best protection is to have multiple redundancies in many locations, which need to be refreshed at regular intervals. Definitely an argument for not doing away with 'hard copy' in too great a hurry.

http://www.rosevilleweddings.com/EMP-protection-for-digital-photos.htm

As I recall, digital files are quite sensitive to magnetism as used to be found in the large speakers and TV's of old. It does make one wonder if an exceptional solar flare might be capable of wiping out a significant portion of our digital data base. I suppose the best protection is to have multiple redundancies in many locations, which need to be refreshed at regular intervals. Definitely an argument for not doing away with 'hard copy' in too great a hurry.

The right solar flare could wipe out all computer info on Earth along with everything electric.

[video=youtube;t-a8TG-1gWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-a8TG-1gWY[/video]

LOL...

I can see it now. At some point in the future, a diary with cursive script is going to be discovered and viewed as if it were hieroglyphics. :D

depositphotos_6122536-Hieroglyphs-on-the-wall.jpg

Back