taxonomy -- Galeocerdo

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by John M, Jan 10, 2010.

1. John M Registered Senior Member

Does Galeoerdo (Tiger shark) belong with the rest of the Requiem sharks (Carcharhinidae) or should it be in a family of its own in the Carcharhiniformes, (ground shark). Consider their short wide face, broad can-opener teeth, unique for requiems aplacental viviparous (ovoviviparous) reproduction and apparently methodical rather than frenzied feeding.

I'm not a shark expert although I am interested in the subject. Taxonomic reason is however one of my biological pursuits.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

They’re pretty specific questions. There are a few posters around (past and present) who seem to know a bit about taxonomy and cladistics, but I have never seen anyone post here with a speciality in shark taxonomy. Does this help.......?

http://www.elasmodiver.com/elasmobranch_taxonomy.htm

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

John.

Your quite probably right and not the first to suggest it- the Tiger shark has a number of morphological and biological traits that are unique to it within the Family Carcharhinidae, several of which you pointed out.
    I beleive some taxonomists already place it in a sub-family of the Carcharhinidae, the Galeocerdidae - although this isnt widely accepted at present.

I work with a couple of shark biologists - next time I see them I'll ask them what they think

if you're interested, the University of Michigan have a rather good taxonomy search engine on their site:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/index.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

My shark biologist colleague has been away tagging sharks in the Bahamas for the last few weeks (lucky bastard!) so I only got o ask him about this a few days ago.

He's in agreement that there would have been a decent case for putting Tiger sharks in their own sub-family or family based on morphological differences alone, but isnt aware of any genomic studies that might confirm its place in the shark taxonomy - and that's how they do things these days- until that happens its going to stay where it is.