Supplying the Syrian rebels with arms won't work

Discussion in 'World Events' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Yazata Valued Senior Member

It's large on paper, but hugely ineffective, as the debacle at Mosul showed. It is conducting some successful combat operations in conjunction with the Iraqi Kurds in the northeast between Baghdad and Kirkuk. (The success might be mostly due to the Kurds.) Several towns have been retaken from ISIS control. Most Iraqi forces seem to be guarding Baghdad and not doing a very good job as ISIS has advanced to the city's western outskirts threatening the main airport. That alarmed the United States so much that it's moved Apache attack helicopters there. (The pilots and ground crews apparently wear flip-flops, since there aren't supposed to be any boots on the ground.) The Iraqis wouldn't be relevant to relieving Kobane, since that town is in Syria hundreds of miles away.

Their Revolutionary Guards Corps has more than a thousand ground troops in Iraq, mostly guarding Shi'ite holy places and advising the Iraqi military. And unlike the Americans, the Iranian advisors actually accompany Iraqis on missions and are there alongside them under fire. My belief is that Iranian Revolutionary Guard aircraft are flying in Iraq with hastily-applied Iraqi markings and that many ostensibly Iraqi airstrikes are actually being flown by Iranian pilots. But again. this isn't really applicable to Kobane.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

All very good questions, our friends here have singled out Turkey as a convenient scape goat for all the problems in the region. If finger pointing is your game, it's a target rich environment. No one in the region is without blame. Every entity in the region has ulterior motives, even the sainted Kurds. There are factional issues even within the Kurdish forces.

Ganging up on Turkey for not blindly marching into a war after authorizing war is just stupid. It's the same kind of reasoning the American Republican Party used against the Obama administration after the attacks on an American diplomatic mission which resulted in the killing of Americans including the ambassador.

In order to effectively move the Turkish army across the border and into combat, as I have said many times before in this thread, one needs a plan - an order of battle. That doesn't exist. While Turkey is a NATO member and can work well with NATO forces, Kurdish forces, the forces in Kobani, the forces Turkey will be fighting with in Kobani, have no such experiences and abilities. Turkish forces need to be able to communicate and work together on the battle field with the Turks in order to minimize friendly fire deaths and maximize their fighting effectiveness. A few days isn't enough time. Hell the US cannot effectively use its preeminent air power effectively in Kobani because it lacks intelligence. An errant bomb could accidentally destroy thousands of Kurds, so they don't drop bombs and as a result some ISIS members get to live and kill again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

ISIS is literally at Turkey's border. They sit in their dozens of tanks, and watch as the Kurds get smashed less than a mile away. And you wonder why people are upset at Turkey's inaction?

They have killed more Kurds than ISIS fighters who are literally at their border.

Turkey is literally, in every sense of the word, watching a massacre take place right in front of them and they are not lifting a single finger to help.

Worse yet, they are preventing the Kurds from obtaining supplies to help them hold ISIS back.

Turkey doesn't want to fight and want to keep their tanks pristine and new? Fine. Why deny the Kurds and the Free Syrian Army who are trying to hold them back from Turkey's border from having access to supplies to allow them to fight? You have made every excuse under the sun for Turkey, can you find an excuse for why they won't even allow the Kurdish fighters in Kobani to have access to supplies?

You can try and paint Turkey as the saints you seem to think they are, but their inaction is going to cost them in the long run. If Kobani falls, and at this rate, barring some miracle that would have their tanks actually being used for something aside from providing seats for their soldiers on the border, then ISIS will be at Turkey's border, and it will allow them to be armed. Then again, perhaps this is what Turkey wants, since they have been allowing people to fly into Turkey to join ISIS anyway. As I said before, Turkey is more than willing to allow a massacre of Kurds to happen on their border. I guess it saves them having to do it later.

Interestingly, news sites from the Middle East are reporting on something very curious and interesting development. On top of releasing dozens of top ISIS leaders and fighters in a prisoner swap, it seems that something else may be in the works, if the Middle Eastern news sites and one of Turkey's paper's are to be believed..

If this is true, it would certainly explain a lot.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

True - and in the case of Kobani, the fucking Turks are sitting doing nothing, probably because Erdogan intends to establish formal relations with ISIS.

Poor Turkey, being pilloried for not doing the right thing.

The OOB in this case consists of about one regiment, and is not a plan, but a description of the organisation and composition of a force. Any commander at all knows his OOB. Period. I thought you had some kind of voluminous knowledge about military organisation and movement?

As far as the town of Kobani goes, securing the perimeter requires precious little planning and the simplest of possible deployments: here, make a perimeter around this place. If the Turkish Army is so incompetent as to be unable to do even that (despite apparently being able to "work well with NATO forces") then I suppose they do have a great deal to fear from ISIS, which perhaps is why they're moving towards formal recognition. Which, facetiousness aside, is probably intimately connected to their failure to act.

8. Bells Staff Member

No planning. They have no intention of helping defend Kobani. Just as they have no intention of allowing the Kurds and the Free Syrian Army to have access to any supplies which would help them fight against ISIS in Kobani.

And the UN was very explicit in its requests to Turkey.

Turkey's response was to deny there were any civilians in Kobani or even a problem there. For them, it's just two terrorist groups trying to kill each other.

And there we have it.

I suppose the UN's fear for the elderly who are still trapped there and others is all a lie?

There is apparently no tragedy in Kobani. At all. So much so that the Kurds and Syrians who are fighting against them and trying to keep them from Turkey's border do not even need supplies or volunteers to be allowed to go and help them fight.

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The kurds want their own land.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Iraq should be there helping if the Turks don't want to help.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Iraq should be fighting ISIS in order to recover its territory regardless of what the Turks do or do not do. Turkey's involvement is complicated by regional politics. Kurds and the Turks have traditionally been at odds with each other and only recently have relations improved somewhat. Turkey no longer opposes an independent Kurdish state.

Iran doesn't want Turkish intervention in Syria as Iran supports the Assad regime and Turkey doesn't. The region is really pretty ugly...a lot of problems and not many solutions. At some point, the Iraqis need to stand up for themselves and defend their country.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/10/09/381628/iran-warns-turkey-over-syria-intervention/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The problem is that even if the Iraqi military was combat-effective, it's concentrated in the vicinity of Baghdad, at the southeast corner of ISIS controlled territory. Kobane is in Syria, near the northwest corner of ISIS territory. So if Iraqi ground troops were going to relieve Kobane, they would have to fight their way for hundreds of miles through the entire length of the 'Islamic State' first.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I have to agree, the Iraqi army is basically done. I thought it would be kind of a fiasco in Afghanistan, but I seem to recall being a little more hopeful for Iraq. I didn't think they could possibly fold so fast.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well that is a bit of revisionism. You were arguing not long ago that Afghanistan wouldn't fall apart if US forces withdrew.

15. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure if the Iraqi army is totally hopeless.

According to reports I've read , former PM Maliki and his Shi'ite clique packed the upper levels of the army officer corps with cronies and political allies, apparently hoping to ensure the army's loyalty to him. When Mosul came under attack by a relatively small ISIS force that was probably only intended as a raiding party, the first people to flee were the garrison's top commanders. When enlisted men and junior officers stopped getting realistic orders and heard instead that their superiors had already run away, the whole thing quickly fell apart. Everone started ripping off their uniforms and trying to get out of town.

Give the Iraqi enlisted men better and more professional officers, and they will probably perform better.

And there's something else.

In a way, what remains of the Iraqi army is really the Iraqi Shi'ite army. And the territory that's still under Baghdad's control is pretty much the Shi'ite populated parts of the country. So the army is going to be defending its own turf, so to speak, and will be getting lots more support from the local residents. A lot of that support will come from Iranian-backed irregular Shi'ite Islamist militias, so it's probably Tehran that's going to pick up the pieces in southern Iraq. But having said that, radical Sunni Islamist ISIS might have a lot more difficulty expanding there.

Finally, there's ISIS' short-sighted savagery, its refusal to take prisoners. That makes it less likely that anyone will consider surrendering to them, since that basically means death, and more likely that ISIS' opponents will resist as long as they can.

16. Bells Staff Member

This is happening on the Turkish border with Syria. You think the Iraqi army should abandon their fight against ISIS in Iraq, and travel to Syria's border with Turkey to help hold them back when Turkey is less than a mile away and refusing to fire one single bullet at ISIS who are literally right at their border?

This is feasible to you?

More excuses.

Turkey is less than a mile away from ISIS, an enemy they passed motions in their parliament declaring they would fight against them and assured their NATO allies they would engage when the time came. The time came several weeks ago when ISIS started attacking a town right at their border.

Since that time, Turkey has not only refused to fire a single bullet or artillery from the dozens of tanks they have facing the enemy at that border, but they have also refused to allow the Kurds and Syrians who are fighting to hold ISIS back from that border to be resupplied to allow them to continue to fight. Can you please explain why they refuse to allow the civilians who are fighting to keep ISIS from that town and thus, their own borders, to have access to bullets, food, water to allow them to keep fighting? I get it, they're chickenshit and don't want to get involved in a fight against their new friends, but at least allow the civilians who are fighting have a god damn chance to defeat them and allow supplies through to Kobani as even the UN is requesting.

Turkey is more than happy for Kobani to be massacred. Their lack of action and their repeated quips about how it is falling and their demands that they will do nothing unless they get exactly what they want, which is for the US to go to war with Assad, but even then, considering their dishonesty (note how they have declared they will fight against ISIS but are thus far refusing to even fire a bullet at ISIS shows clear dishonesty), I doubt they will do anything even if they do get what they want. Turkey has the second largest armed forces in NATO. They are stupidly well armed. Had they actually fired some artillery from those tanks at ISIS, Kobani would not be in this situation and ISIS would not be breathing down their necks. But hey, at least this way, if and when they do take Kobani and the massacre of the Kurds and Syrian moderates fighting there occurs, ISIS will have easier access to Turkey and it will make recruitment that much easier.

But Turkey have shown what they are made of. They have already said there is no disaster in Kobani. To them, the deaths of hundreds of Kurds isn't a bad thing, isn't a disaster and isn't really a massacre.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No but Iraqi forces aren't doing much by sitting around Baghdad saying they need to protect it.

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually, exactly the reverse: I argued that Afghanistan was going to go into the tank very shortly after the US left.

Give your head a shake before making claims next time.

/sigh

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL, Unfortunately for you there is a written record.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I agree. I think the whole thing is just going to end up semi-tribal, with clans controlling their own areas.

21. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So why don't you back up your words instead of making crap up?

Good luck with that.

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hey joe, how's that search going in the written record? Were you able to find a way to spin my position in the opposite direction? I'd like to see you swing that one. Bonne chance, mon ami.

Edit: Here, let me help you with that. Here's the thread you were looking for, found, and are now pretending you didn't find.

Next time, don't push your luck. Mmkay, joe?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

LOL, now where in there does it say anything about the Afghan government collapsing after a US withdrawal?

You and I had some long conversations on the issue. When I get some time I'll look them up for you.

You should take your own advice.