Supplying the Syrian rebels with arms won't work

Discussion in 'World Events' started by cosmictraveler, Sep 12, 2014.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

By criticizing Turkey too overtly, Joe at least has taken attention away from the miserable state of the nation. Can't say he isn't earning his check for the administration.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

It seems Turkey has demands of its own.

As tens of thousands of people face a massacre, President Erdogan advised that Kobani was about to fall. As the well armed Turkish military sit a few hundred meters away in their tanks, doing nothing as the Kurds try to save as many as they can and try to evacuate as many as they can from Kobani, Erdogan's warning is realistically dire.

However, instead of providing support to the Kurds who are desperately trying to keep ISIS at bay, Erdogan told reporters in a Turkish border town, near Kobani, that Turkey has demands of its own:

Well gee.

Talk about priorities. Tens of thousands of people are about to be massacred and he's whining because he apparently hasn't been given a no fly zone, a secure zone and training of moderate Syrian rebels?

I suppose they don't mind if ISIS slaughter the Kurds for them.

Meanwhile the French are trying to find a way to get Turkey to engage and help defend Kobani and prevent a massacre. Especially since they have heavy artillery stationed just a few hundred meters away. Instead, Erdogan is whining that his personal demands have not been met. I'm sorry, but I would suspect that most countries would act and fire a god damn tank at the enemy before it tried to attack a town full of civilians, many of whom are refugees from the Syrian war. But no, racial and ethnic divide dictates that it's apparently okay to let them all die. Just be sure to not shoot at a Turkish soldier though, then they might shoot back.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well given that Turkey's parliament only passed military authorization a few days ago, I think it a little early to expect Turkish military intervention in Syria. Plans must be made. Troop movements must be coordinated, else you could have Turks killing Kurds and Kurds killing Turks. That wouldn't be good for anyone except ISIS. Turkey isn't Russia and this isn't the Ukraine. Time alone will tell how serious Turkey is about intervening in Syria against ISIS. But I think your judgment is a bit premature.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Factually speaking, it's almost certain the Turks could have moved before now. They specify that:

So they're capable of moving, but haven't. Or won't, rather.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I thought that Assad wanted ISIS destroyed so why hasn't he done anything to rid his own country of ISIS?

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Overcommitted, I would guess. But he could just be playing politics.

10. Bells Staff Member

They have dozens of tanks in place with heavy artillery and they have been there for a while. All the soldiers there are armed and very well armed with enough firepower to provide some concrete defense of Kobani. They are doing nothing to help hold ISIS from taking Kobani a few hundred meters away from them. The soldiers have just been sitting there, in their tanks and observation towers, watching as hundreds die.

Time alone won't tell us how serious Turkey is about intervening on their border. They already aren't intervening because they have demands that they are whining have not been met. As Erdogan advised..

We want, we want, we want..

But to the Syrian and Turkish Kurds watching in increasing desperation from hilltops here on Tuesday, the ground force that needs immediate help is the Kurdish group fighting the Islamic State in the streets of Kobani, the People’s Protection Committees. They believe that given Turkey’s long history of tensions with its Kurdish population, Mr. Erdogan sees the group, known as the Y.P.G., as an enemy and an even greater threat than the Islamic State.

Kobani is cut off from the east, west and south by the well-armed Islamic State fighters. To the north, refugees and fighters face the border fence with Turkey – a barrier to resupplying the Y.P.G. The Turkish authorities have refused to allow the group to receive supplies and weapons unless it meets a set of demands that are virtually impossible politically.

Turkish soldiers have stood by and watched the fighting from their armored vehicles, and have also stopped Syrian and Turkish Kurds from crossing into Syria to fight the Islamic State.

Tear gas wafted near the border on Tuesday, one of many instances in which Turkish security forces have used it against crowds of demonstrators, journalists, and would-be fighters and refugees. Kurdish men packed the streets of Suruc to protest Turkish policy.

But on Monday, about 200 civilians who crossed into Turkey from Kobani were detained by Turkish authorities, according to one of the detainees, Mustafa Bali, reached by phone in a Turkish border village called Ali Kor. Buses took them from an official border crossing to a gymnasium, where they are still being detained, he said.

Young men in the group, which also included women and children, were interrogated and asked about Y.P.G. leaders and their relations with them, he said.

“I was locked alone in a room for four hours,” said Mr. Bali, a Syrian Kurdish activist. “They checked my phone and text messages and asked me questions about specific names in the Y.P.G. in a very insulting way. They told us we will be released when they are done with our procedure, but I don’t know what kind of procedure a refugee receives.”

Not only are they refusing to shell ISIS on their border as ISIS threatens to massacre thousands of people on their border, they are also denying the Kurds fighting ISIS the ability to be supplied with arms and essential supplies required to help them hold ISIS out of Kobani.

It's called genocide by proxy.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  11. Yazata Valued Senior Member

I'm inclined to agree with Bells' skepticism regarding the Turks.

The Turks have moved formidable military forces to points just across the border from Kobane. They certainly could surge across the border, reinforce the town's defenders and repel the ISIS attack. But so far, the Turks have just watched ISIS assaulting the town, while busying themselves preventing Kurdish fighters and supplies from reaching the besieged defenders.

I wonder if they will allow Kobane's defenders to flee into Turkey when their resistance finally collapses. ISIS doesn't take prisoners and there may very well be a mass-murder of captives. ISIS is copying the early medieval practices of the first conquering Muslim armies in the conviction that the awesome history-changing success of those armies was a sign of God's approval and favor.

Apparently Erdogan is suggesting that the West is to blame for his country doing nothing now. We didn't enforce a no-fly-zone for him (ISIS doesn't have an air force to speak of, but Assad does) and we didn't do enough to support the Syrian rebels. In other words, Turkey has its own agenda and it's still focused on Assad. Erdogan's a Sunni Islamist (albeit a 'moderate') and Assad's a secular Alawite. So there's that.

And of course there's the Kurdish thing. Large parts of southeastern Turkey have restive Kurdish majorities, so the whole idea of Kurdish autonomy threatens Turkey. The Turks especially dislike Kurds led by the YPG, allied with the PKK who Ankara has labeled terrorists. So Erdogan might get some pleasure from watching Kurdish butt getting kicked, even if it's being kicked by ISIS.

12. Bells Staff Member

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Well it is more than skeptism . Bell's has already convicted Turkey.

14. Bells Staff Member

Hundreds of people have died in Kobani trying to defend it in the last few weeks as Turkey did nothing. Even in the last week, so many died and instead of helping them, they sometimes shut the border to stop many trying to flee and they have prevented arms from reaching the Kurdish fighters who are fighting a losing battle holding ISIS at bay just over the boarder.

Coupled with how ISIS released those Turkish nationals they had captured, it seems somewhat suspect. Why this sudden desire to cooperate with Turkey and release the Turkish citizens they were holding but not any one else? Doesn't that strike you as somewhat strange.

Even without that, their treatment of Kurds who are actively fighting against ISIS and their stopping more Kurds from going to Kobani to help them fight or to provide them with supplies in the last few weeks speaks volumes.

Frankly, if they continue to sit on their backsides and do nothing as Kobani comes under sustained attack, their position in NATO should be questioned.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

In this instance, Bells is almost certainly correct. The inactions of the Turks are testimony enough, and they have not even bothered to offer up an excuse. No 'coordination of troop maneuvering' is required; the soldiers are there. The Syrian civilians are there. ISIS is there.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

So says a person with zero knowledge of what it takes to move an army. Further, there is a long game at play. As I said previously, it is too early to assess the role Turkey will and the impact it will have in the region. While what has happed in Kobanip is tragic, it is just the latest in a long series of tragedies in the region. The crisis in this region didn't develop overnight and it won't go away overnight regardless of what Turkey does or does not do.

17. Bells Staff Member

The army is already there, in place, they have even built watch towers and their tanks have been in place for over a week.

What is tragic is that the dozens of tanks and heavy artillery and thousands of soldiers are sitting there, on the border, facing ISIS as they attack Kobani and they have not fired a single round as hundreds died a few hundred meters away from them.

But they and the police have fired on Kurdish protesters who are protesting Turkey's army's inaction on the border. The death toll is what now? 21 Kurds killed so far in Turkey for protesting Turkey's cowardice and inaction?

Coupled with all of this, Turkey's army has prevented any supplies or Kurdish volunteers from reaching Kobani from Turkey's border which would have allowed the Kurds and the Free Syrian Army to keep fighting against ISIS in Kobani. Makes you wonder how and why all those Turkish prisoners were released by ISIS in the last few weeks, doesn't it?

As I noted above, it's called genocide by proxy.

ISIS destroys the city Turkey detests because it is a Kurdish city and they get rid of the Kurds for them and then when that is done, they can (maybe) pummel ISIS with support from airstrikes they know do and will continue. Two birds with one stone.

Are there any more excuses you want to make for Turkey? Because if you are going to claim that allowing thousands of people to die to ISIS is part of the long game at play, then really, there are no words to describe how despicable that would be. It isn't too early to assess the role Turkey will have on this war. It is too late. ISIS is literally on their border and they are killing Kurds on their border. Kobani is only a couple of hundred meters from Turkey's border. They have stated, clearly, that they will fight against ISIS. Yet they do not fight against ISIS as they threaten to massacre thousands on their very border and they prevent those trying to prevent that massacre from being resupplied to help keep ISIS at bay? It's not too early to assess what their role will be. They have already clearly shown just what they are made of and that they are willing to allow thousands of people to die for their own interests.

18. Yazata Valued Senior Member

Turkey was originally of value to NATO because of its position on the Soviet Union's southern flank and because it controls the sea route between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. Today, given all the 'clash of civilizations' stuff between the Islamic world and the West, I suspect that having a Muslim NATO member looks good.

It wasn't that long ago, maybe ten or fifteen years, that there was a big push for Turkey to join the European Union. It's a sobering thought that had that happened, the Turkish/Syrian border there at Kobane would be Europe's frontier today, with the 'Islamic State' the EU's belligerent new neighbor. (Along with Iran and Iraq, it's not the best of neighborhoods.)

Turkey might find itself on the receiving end of a torrent of worldwide condemnation should they continue to do nothing, Kobane falls and if ISIS conducts mass executions of captured Kurds. That's what NATO should be telling Ankara right now.

19. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The most important missing ingredient necessary for moving the Turkish forces currently just north of Kobane across the border is the order to do so. Even an order to saddle up and get ready to move out would send a message to ISIS, who would see see the Turkish soldiers suddenly preparing themselves and positioning their vehicles.

If the Turks intend to enter Kobane, they probably would have to coordinate with the defending Kurds to learn where the Kurdish and ISIS forces are located street to street. The Turks are certainly capable of doing that themselves (they are a NATO army, after all) and don't need the US to do it for them.

Or alternatively, the Turks could send their armor south on Kobane's eastern and western flanks, taking the local hilltops, cutting off ISIS reinforcements from reaching the town and trapping the ISIS fighters currently there.

And given Turkey's adjacent location, the Turkish air force could probably put a lot more planes over Kobane than the Coalition presently can from long distance, further cutting off the ISIS attackers from support.

In other words, I think that if the Turks decided to move, they could put ISIS forces in the Kobane vicinity on the defensive in a matter of hours.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, I've served, joe, and as I said before, the Turkish soldiers are already there. Perhaps it was different in your day, but the Turks have a kilometer to go at most to save the town. As I recall, that wasn't so far to go that it required extensive logistical planning. Do you think the Turks just have extremely fuel-inefficient vehicles? Or perhaps their sandwich trucks are very unreliable.

Short version: there's no need to be insulting, and no need for the pretense at special knowledge, joe, and no need to dream up elaborate excuses for Turkish inaction. Period. You recall above when several people pointed out that the Turks were right at the border. As Bells mentioned, they could have fired from place. Or opened their border. It's just that simple.

Yes, the one of general genocide against the Kurds. I agree with the others I expect - as Bells points out - that the Turks are probably only too happy to have ISIS do some of their work for them.

I'm afraid that it is not. Their inaction has been noted.

While the tragedies will no doubt continue, the tragedy at Kobani would certainly have been mitigated by the Turks getting off their hands.

21. Bells Staff Member

Well it looks as if Turkey have openly declared they will not act to help defend Kobani if they do not get what they want, which is tantamount to the US declaring war against Syria, by enforcing a no-fly zone over parts of Syria.

This past week alone, Turkey have killed more Kurds who are protesting Turkey's inaction against the looming ISIS invasion at their border and the town of Kobani, than they have killed ISIS who are attacking Kobani.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Where are the Iraqi military? Where are the Iranian military? I thought these two countries were afraid of ISIS and wanted to destroy them to keep them from spreading more into their countries. No wonder ISIS is strong for no one really gets after them to destroy them until the American military did something. I'd think now it is there turn to step up and America should back away because it isn't really a problem for America but for Iran, Turkey, Iraq and Syria for they are the ones being invaded today and they want American troops to "lead the way" instead of them doing it together with each other.

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

exactly feels reminecnt to the warsaw uprising. a powerful army just siitting there to ensure things play out the way they want. once the kurds are gone they move in