Sunni Shiite what's the difference?

orcot

Valued Senior Member
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/10/17/opinion/edstein.php
Can you tell a Sunni from a Shiite?
Jeff Stein The New York Times

Published: October 17, 2006

WASHINGTON For the past several months, I've been wrapping up lengthy interviews with U.S. counterterrorism officials with a fundamental question: "Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?"

A "gotcha" question? Perhaps. But if knowing your enemy is the most basic rule of war, I don't think it's out of bounds. And as I quickly explain to my subjects, I'm not looking for theological explanations, simply the basics: Who's on what side today, and what does each want?

The 1,400-year Sunni-Shiite rivalry playing out in Baghdad's streets raises the specter of a breakup of Iraq into antagonistic states, one backed by Shiite Iran and the other by Saudi Arabia and other Sunni states. A complete collapse in Iraq could provide a haven for Qaeda operatives within striking distance of Israel, even Europe. And the nature of the threat from Iran, a potential nuclear power with protégés in the Gulf states, northern Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories, is entirely different from that of Al Qaeda.

It seems silly to have to argue that officials responsible for counterterrorism should be able to recognize opportunities for pitting these rivals against each other. But so far most American officials I've interviewed don't have a clue. That includes not only intelligence and law-enforcement officials, but also members of Congress who have important roles overseeing U.S. spy agencies.

My curiosity about policy makers' grasp of Islam's two major branches was piqued in 2005, when Jon Stewart and other television comedians made hash out of depositions, taken in a whistleblower case, in which top FBI officials drew blanks when asked basic questions about Islam.

One of the bemused officials was Gary Bald, then the bureau's counterterrorism chief. Such expertise, Bald maintained, wasn't as important as being a good manager. A few months later I asked the FBI's spokesman, John Miller, about Bald's comments.

"A leader needs to drive the organization forward," Miller told me. "If he is the executive in a counterterrorism operation in the post-9/11 world, he does not need to memorize the collected statements of Osama bin Laden, or be able to read Urdu to be effective."

Of course I hadn't asked about reading Urdu or bin Laden's writings. A few weeks ago I took the FBI's temperature again. I asked Willie Hulon, chief of the bureau's new national-security branch, whether he thought that it was important for a man in his position to know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites.

"Yes, sure, it's right to know the difference," he said. "It's important to know who your targets are." So next I asked him if he could tell me the difference. He was flummoxed.

"The basics goes back to their beliefs and who they were following," he said. "And the conflicts between the Sunnis and the Shia and the difference between who they were following."

All right, I asked, trying to help, what about today? Which one is Iran, Sunni or Shiite? He thought for a second.

"Iran and Hezbollah," I prompted. "Which are they?" He took a stab: "Sunni."

Wrong.

Al Qaeda? "Sunni."

Right. And, to his credit, Hulon did at least know that the vicious struggle between Islam's Abel and Cain was driving Iraq into civil war. But then we pay him to know things like that, the same as some members of Congress.

Take Representative Terry Everett, Republican of Alabama, vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence.

"Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?" I asked him a few weeks ago. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment.

"One's in one location, another's in another location," he said. "No, to be honest with you, I don't know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families or something."

To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is mostly Sunni.

"Now that you've explained it to me," he said, "what occurs to me is that it makes what we're doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area."

Representative Jo Ann Davis, Republican of Virginia, who heads a House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the CIA's performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information, was similarly dumbfounded when I asked her if she knew the difference between Sunnis and Shiites. "Do I?" she asked me. A look of concentration came over her face. "You know, I should."

She took a stab at it.

"It's a difference in their fundamental religious beliefs," she said. "The Sunni are more radical than the Shia. Or vice versa. But I think it's the Sunnis who're more radical than the Shia."

Did she know which branch Al Qaeda's leaders follow?

"Al Qaeda is the one that's most radical, so I think they're Sunni," she replied. Did she think that it was important, I asked, for members of Congress charged with oversight of the intelligence agencies to know the answer to such questions, so that they can cut through officials' puffery when they came up to the Hill?

"Oh, I think it's very important," Davis said, "because Al Qaeda's whole reason for being is based on their beliefs. And you've got to understand, and to know your enemy."

It's not all so grimly humorous. Some agency officials and members of Congress have easily handled my "gotcha" question.

But as I keep asking it, I get more and more blank stares. Too many counterterrorism officials simply don't care to learn much, if anything, about the enemy America is fighting.

Jeff Stein is the national-security editor at Congressional Quarterly in Washington.
WASHINGTON For the past several months, I've been wrapping up lengthy interviews with U.S. counterterrorism officials with a fundamental question: "Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?"

A "gotcha" question? Perhaps. But if knowing your enemy is the most basic rule of war, I don't think it's out of bounds. And as I quickly explain to my subjects, I'm not looking for theological explanations, simply the basics: Who's on what side today, and what does each want?

The 1,400-year Sunni-Shiite rivalry playing out in Baghdad's streets raises the specter of a breakup of Iraq into antagonistic states, one backed by Shiite Iran and the other by Saudi Arabia and other Sunni states. A complete collapse in Iraq could provide a haven for Qaeda operatives within striking distance of Israel, even Europe. And the nature of the threat from Iran, a potential nuclear power with protégés in the Gulf states, northern Saudi Arabia, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories, is entirely different from that of Al Qaeda.

It seems silly to have to argue that officials responsible for counterterrorism should be able to recognize opportunities for pitting these rivals against each other. But so far most American officials I've interviewed don't have a clue. That includes not only intelligence and law-enforcement officials, but also members of Congress who have important roles overseeing U.S. spy agencies.

My curiosity about policy makers' grasp of Islam's two major branches was piqued in 2005, when Jon Stewart and other television comedians made hash out of depositions, taken in a whistleblower case, in which top FBI officials drew blanks when asked basic questions about Islam.

One of the bemused officials was Gary Bald, then the bureau's counterterrorism chief. Such expertise, Bald maintained, wasn't as important as being a good manager. A few months later I asked the FBI's spokesman, John Miller, about Bald's comments.

"A leader needs to drive the organization forward," Miller told me. "If he is the executive in a counterterrorism operation in the post-9/11 world, he does not need to memorize the collected statements of Osama bin Laden, or be able to read Urdu to be effective."

Of course I hadn't asked about reading Urdu or bin Laden's writings. A few weeks ago I took the FBI's temperature again. I asked Willie Hulon, chief of the bureau's new national-security branch, whether he thought that it was important for a man in his position to know the difference between Sunnis and Shiites.

"Yes, sure, it's right to know the difference," he said. "It's important to know who your targets are." So next I asked him if he could tell me the difference. He was flummoxed.

"The basics goes back to their beliefs and who they were following," he said. "And the conflicts between the Sunnis and the Shia and the difference between who they were following."

All right, I asked, trying to help, what about today? Which one is Iran, Sunni or Shiite? He thought for a second.

"Iran and Hezbollah," I prompted. "Which are they?" He took a stab: "Sunni."

Wrong.

Al Qaeda? "Sunni."

Right. And, to his credit, Hulon did at least know that the vicious struggle between Islam's Abel and Cain was driving Iraq into civil war. But then we pay him to know things like that, the same as some members of Congress.

Take Representative Terry Everett, Republican of Alabama, vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence.

"Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?" I asked him a few weeks ago. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment.

"One's in one location, another's in another location," he said. "No, to be honest with you, I don't know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families or something."

To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is mostly Sunni.

"Now that you've explained it to me," he said, "what occurs to me is that it makes what we're doing over there extremely difficult, not only in Iraq but that whole area."

Representative Jo Ann Davis, Republican of Virginia, who heads a House intelligence subcommittee charged with overseeing the CIA's performance in recruiting Islamic spies and analyzing information, was similarly dumbfounded when I asked her if she knew the difference between Sunnis and Shiites. "Do I?" she asked me. A look of concentration came over her face. "You know, I should."

She took a stab at it.

"It's a difference in their fundamental religious beliefs," she said. "The Sunni are more radical than the Shia. Or vice versa. But I think it's the Sunnis who're more radical than the Shia."

Did she know which branch Al Qaeda's leaders follow?

"Al Qaeda is the one that's most radical, so I think they're Sunni," she replied. Did she think that it was important, I asked, for members of Congress charged with oversight of the intelligence agencies to know the answer to such questions, so that they can cut through officials' puffery when they came up to the Hill?

"Oh, I think it's very important," Davis said, "because Al Qaeda's whole reason for being is based on their beliefs. And you've got to understand, and to know your enemy."

It's not all so grimly humorous. Some agency officials and members of Congress have easily handled my "gotcha" question.

But as I keep asking it, I get more and more blank stares. Too many counterterrorism officials simply don't care to learn much, if anything, about the enemy America is fighting.

Jeff Stein is the national-security editor at Congressional Quarterly in Washington.

the difference is

the diffirience is not religious, but political
before Hz. Muhammed (pbuh) died, he appointed 4 caliphs to succeed him, in order, then he ordered muslims to democtatically choose their own leader who will only follow the orders of Koran, (not allowed to make his own rules, or distord the Koran)
the 4 caliphs were Ebubekir, Omar, Osman and Ali (Muhammed's (pbuh) son-in-law.
however, supporters of Hz.Ali claims that caliphs should be the descendants of Ali, not the elected ones. religious practice is almost the same, with slight variations.
( by the way, Islam is against kings and kingdoms, leaders should be chosen by people, so that wise and good people take the office)

this far I know, hope this helps.

My Iranian friend explain it like this:

The Arabs tried to exterminate our people, our native language Farsi was replaced with Arabic, our native religion Zoroastrian was replaced with Islam, and our government offcials were killed and replaced with Arabs. The Shia religion was in direct response to this. In order to make a difference between us and them we created this religion and in it we were able to retain some of what it means to be Persian.

Or so he told me,
Michael

The Arabs tried to exterminate our people, our native language Farsi was replaced with Arabic, our native religion Zoroastrian was replaced with Islam, and our government offcials were killed and replaced with Arabs. The Shia religion was in direct response to this. In order to make a difference between us and them we created this religion and in it we were able to retain some of what it means to be Persian.

Or so he told me,
Michael

First I've ever heard of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shi'a_Islam

Hi Sam,

Maybe it’s complete BS – that’s simply what he told me. If not I wonder why most Shia are Iranian?

Anyway, to me most of its myth and second hand gossip anyway. I think Jesus was an Allegory, some character in the Qur’an is Alexander the Great and coffee tastes much better in the morning if I add a spoon of 50% pure coco with 50% coco-drink mix.

:)
Michael

Hi Sam,

Maybe it’s complete BS – that’s simply what he told me. If not I wonder why most Shia are Iranian?

Anyway, to me most of its myth and second hand gossip anyway. I think Jesus was an Allegory, some character in the Qur’an is Alexander the Great and coffee tastes much better in the morning if I add a spoon of 50% pure coco with 50% coco-drink mix.

:)
Michael

Quite possibly, after the Shia caliphate was established in Iraq, both Iran and Yemen came under the influence of the Shiites to a greater extent.e.g. Shah Muhammad Khudilbandah, one of the well-known Mongol rulers, became Shi'ite and his descendants ruled for many years in Persia and were instrumental in spreading Shiasm.

Some more:
http://trueshiasm.blogspot.com/

I always heard Sunni Islam was the "Protestant/Southern Baptist" style branch of Islam and Shiite was like the Roman Catholics or Eastern Orthodox. My comparisons of course mean Shiites are into all the ceremony and have different/more texts to their holy book while the more streamlined Sunnis do not and often view the Shia as heretics.

I always heard Sunni Islam was the "Protestant/Southern Baptist" style branch of Islam and Shiite was like the Roman Catholics or Eastern Orthodox. My comparisons of course mean Shiites are into all the ceremony and have different/more texts to their holy book while the more streamlined Sunnis do not and often view the Shia as heretics.

There is a chart on this page which explains it succintly
http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/comparison_charts/islamic_sects.htm

Excellent & interesting. My analogy was poor I guess. I knew some Pakistani Sunnis about 10 years ago that truly despised Shiites. Like Jews hate Muslims, that kind of hate. Never understood it but it's all about religion. Nothing divides us more than the gods.

Most Shiites, in India and Pakistan are businessmen with a good deal of success. Nothing breeds hatred like financial success.:p

Most Shiites, in India and Pakistan are businessmen with a good deal of success. Nothing breeds hatred like financial success.:p
Not near as much as religion breeds hatred. Even different parts of the SAME religion breeds hate & violence. If only Man could muster up the strength to get off his knees and stand like thinking humans.

I suppose the intent of a Jewish Jouralist would be to have us believe that there is not real distinction between Sunni and Shia, and would leave us thinking they are equally bad.

But if one searches up the Sunni and Shia distinction on line, it does not take long to discern that their are geo-political differences between Sunni and Shia. Regionalism. Also, the Shia would have Government dominated by Religious Law and suggect to the Imans -- the Religious Leaders. Sunnis, on the otherhand have a tradition of following Politically Secular Caliphates.

So, if the West were to chose sides between Sunni and Shia, on the criteria of picking the side most willing to submit to political compromise and accommodation, then the Winner would clearly be the Sunnis.

Indeed, this is exactly why the CIA had selected Saddam Hussein and the Baath Party for Iraq, as it was primarily Sunni and would offset the power of the Shia. This was also the reason why Bush Senior had decided to molest the Baath Party no further, as it would only hurt Western Interests to attack the Sunnis while strengthening the hand of the ultimately more dangerous Shia.

But Baby Bush did everything in his power to build Shia Power in Iraq and even to arm its Militias.

Bush Senior, while promising the Shia support in its cause, simply to stir them up long enough to aid in America's short Invasion, was wise enough to adandon them once more to the domination of the Sunnis, once Saddam was again adequately contained.

Indeed, one can understand many of the failures perpetrated by Washington lately, if one supposes first that those in Power have forgotten the distinction between Shia and Sunni. Apparently the First Criteria of being above all and everything Pro-Zionist has minimized all other considerations for National and Global Interest -- that it is easier to deal with Sunnis than Shia... in short that Sunnis=Good; Shia=Bad.

Or so he told me,
Michael

The Iranians I know are extremely proud of their heritage as Persians. The assumption that the middle east is only full of ragheads and arabs is a poor assumption.

Islamofascism is a shit poor term.
Did you know radical islamic theocracies tend to be in repsonse to despots?

Back