Sulu is gay.

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by spidergoat, Oct 28, 2005.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, that's too bad ....now I can't ever watch old reruns of Star Trek again!!!

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. esoterik appeal h. pylori Registered Senior Member

^ you can't be serious. now that Sulu is out of the closet, it makes those episodes like 2.3 times as good.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Those scenes between him and Shatner now make a lot of sense. Fantastic.

8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Why, specifically?

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, Hap, it just ruins my mental image of Sulu.

It's sorta' like seeing a movie of Superman as an old, wrinkled, white-haired, stooped, old man with Alzheimers! Or a movie of Dirty Harry without his 44 Magnum and walkin' around forgiving all of the criminals for what they've done to innocent people! Just ruins the movies, don't ya' think?

Baron Max

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Max,
    Are you saying that gay men are not rough and masculine and somehow Sulu WAS?
    Hell, he could slip right into the cast of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and no one would bat an eyelash (except maybe AT him).
    Sulu fits the ideal gay stereotype like a well crafted, rabbit lined, imported Italian leather glove.
    How does it change his image for you?
    How is this even a surprise?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I mean he always looked gay in the shows and videos.
    I guess this explains it.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, Raven, it's sorta' like having a good friend who's your workout buddy, yer' shooting partner, yer' drinking buddy, and then having him tell you that he's gay! Everything changes ....everything! It's not that HE has changed, it's that your perception of him has changed. You can never, ever see him as he was before ...he's now someone "completely new"!!! New AND different.

Ain't got nothin' to do with muscles or outdoorsy-types, etc .....it's ones own perceptions have been rocked to the core. Gay males just ain't ...ahhh, well, ain't male, ya' know? They're ...well, they're something else! I don't know what, exactly, but they're ......something else.

Baron Max

13. Roman Banned Banned

I know what you're saying Baron, and it comes from, I think, how many men identify with women and their sexuality. I can only speak for myself here, but at some level, all my interaction with women centers around sex. If I find a woman attractive, I can never ever be 'just' friends with her, as a general rule.

So when a friend tells you he's gay, you immediately assume that if he finds you attractive (which he should, right?) then he would, at some level like to be more than friends. Which pretty much means sodomy. And for most straight men, the idea of a friend sodomizing them is very, very difficult to deal with.

All future interactions with your gay friend now revolve around sodomy.

14. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Bigot.

15. OpteronGuy I just killed you Registered Senior Member

Yep, I can agree with this. This can also be further explained by the "Ladder System"

Ladder System

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Kind of changes the context of the boyhood fantasies of travelling through space for years on end with him, I suppose.

I guess I just always assumed he was gay (once I was old enough to understand whay "gay" meant) so it really doesn't change anything for me.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What's wrong with bigotry, Hap?

My dictionary says: "One obstinately devoted to his own church, party, belief or opinion" So what's wrong with being a bigot?

And think of it this way .....what would we think of someone who was NOT dvoted to his own church, party, belief or opinion? What would we think of someone who switched his beliefs and opinions at the drop of a hat or due to someone else's suggestions or insistence?

Baron Max

18. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Bigotry is the opposite of being open minded, and in the end, closed mindedness means ignorance.

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

The key, Max, is the obstinately part.
    Being devoted to a cause is admirable.
    Remaining blindly devoted to an organization, for example, regardless of the deeds performed by that organization or specific harmful doctrine, is not.

Obstinenace is closed-minded willful ignorance.
    There is everything wrong with that.

20. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Actors being gay is nothing new, but there is a side of me that finds the concept of 'gay characters' on Star Trek rather amusing.

...like a gay klingon. That would be great.

21. Roman Banned Banned

I think a gay klingon would be the most fiercesome opponent in the universe.

22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It seems obvious to me that all klingons are gay.

23. hmmm, & I was betting that Pavel Andreievich Chekhov was, he must be "festive" at least?