Suicide

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by notme2000, Dec 15, 2002.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

If you don't value life, how possibly could you "get it"?...
    Without your life, what do you have? Life is worth living... it may be hard... but it is also the problems and challenges that make life interesting. Imagine how boring would be if everything would be perfect...! (unless God has some way out of it...I dunno...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bugeye: ).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

notme:

Aww drats, and here I was about to ask you to will me your cd collection.

Seriously, I understand. I contemplate suicide as an intellectual excersize on a daily basis.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Psh, cds are primitive. I have an mp3 player!!!!

P.S. Love the sig, Xev, lol

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

notme:

Thanks! I just changed it, but here are more dead baby jokes than you could shake a pitchfork at!

http://thisisacryforhelp.com/jokes/babyj.htm

Q: What's red, bubbly, and scratches at the window before exploding?

A: A baby in a microwave.

8. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Truthseeker...
    You're not getting my point. I'm not saying they do get it, just like you shouldn't say they don't. How could you know? I've been suicidal, and at the time I thought hapiness was a form of illusion... Now I'm happy and I think suicide is a form of illusion... So is it just subjective? And if it is, do you really have the right to judge someone who commits suicide? Simply because they didn't live up to your standards of life doesn't make them wrong. How do you know you live up to theirs? And are you going to be pretentious enough to declare your standards in life better than theirs? I hope not.

The only reason you find life worth living is instincts... It's in your instincts to survive. What if those who commit suicide are the ones strong enough to see outside their instincts, and see how pointless life truly is...

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

notme2000,

I know what is your point. I'm discussing something in a similar way in the thread "Who is crazy?"...
    I never judge anyone (lest I'm judged...)...

Do YOU think life is pointless?
    Well... if life is everything that you get, giving it up seems a little... strange... Of course you need to have some kind of strengh to kill yourself... It's hard to deal with different perspectives... we need to look beyond what we can see and understand with our own knowledge...

10. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Yes. But I don't realize it to an extent I'm willing to follow through with action. I have given meaning to my life, which I view as artificial, but "real" to me none-the-less.
    It's not like you'd miss it (I don't believe in an afterlife). To let go of everything is to be pure, right? So why not let go of EVERYTHING, even life, and yourself... You would be purely zero... Doesn't get much purer than that.

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The meaning of life is infinite. You give it. That's why it seems meaningless. But life couldn't be more meaningfull! Whats makes life meaningfull is its own "meaninglessness"...

12. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i think i know what you're trying to say TruthSeeker... do you mean, that life is what you make of it??

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

14. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Or it might be the exact opposite: for example, a person who has a debilitating mental illness. This person might use suicide to solve the problems of:

- burden on family members, in terms of money and time in caring for him/her.

- The emotional trauma of seeing their family member's mind turn to shit in front of them. Not being able to remember who they are, hold a conversation etc.

- retaining their dignity and independence.

Wouldn't the Buddha say that life is duhkha and that you should seek to escape the chain of suffering?

Yes, interestingly it lead to a plague of suicides across Europe and was banned in several places.

15. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

Personally..
    I believe suicide happens because of bad foundations of life (like love

).
    It's like starting off the game in a bad way, and just pressing "start new game...".
    Surely, the person can usually be changed by external help, but what's the point - in most cases it would delete the real existance of that person. THen you would probably have a personality that's half-baked, half-cooked. In most cases it's easier too just make a new baby.

If you equate some thing in this world with your life, you are sick already.
    I know if I ever committed suicide it would be for a good reason. The reason for the meaning of my existance would be gone then probably.

I agree with Xev for not having any values (at least no values equalling your life).

Xev:

I know a better dead baby joke:
    -What's the worst thing a blind, deaf baby can get for Christmas?
    -Cancer.

Or you make this world of man your slave.. Which is exactly my plan!

16. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

Mind you the only way you can escape it is to become a buddha/Immortal yourself. So if buddhas right you just pile up more garbage from past lives and suffer ever more. Sounds kinda shitty don't it.

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Excuse me ndrs, but I'm currently candidate for "Supreme Imperial Dictator".

Now get back to the fields, peon.

18. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

first of all...to those so inclined to off themselves: do you even realize the great odds of you being here[life on earth] in the first place?? it's staggering...it's a gift. think about it, please.

oh, yeah...and, nobody promised it was going to be a bed of roses.

19. Empty Dragon Empty Registered Senior Member

I remeber the suicidal days too. That pain can end. For me it ended when I started to understand. Mind you my mind was pretty messed up. I wanted to die to escape and that was when I was weak and confused. But I fixed up my mind (meditaion and martial arts). Yeah pot and mushrooms too. So I guess if you had a clear mind and you still wanted suicide for some reson or another I guess it would be your right.

20. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

I can't imagine wanting to take one's own life. Whether you are religious and consider your life a miracle, or completely atheist and see life as a very very very unlikely bunch of coincidences, either way, it seems like too much of a gift to give up so easily. Ok, so your life might not seem like much of a gift at the moment. I say, give it some time. Don't sit around whining about it, go make something of it. Everyone gets depressed, or goes throught hard times, but theres always SOMETHING to keep you going. I'm not going to die without my life making a difference. It's not, "I want it to make a difference". I say IT WILL. Call me idealistic if you want, but to me it seems much better than the alternative. Life's a gift, enjoy it while it lasts, and maybe even try to give something back.

21. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

And my point is this: What if escaping is the only logical choice? What if the only way you've strengthened since then is in ignorance. It takes a strong man to create an illusion as powerful as hapiness.

22. Xev Registered Senior Member

If life is a gift, it's one of those moldy ass fruitcakes that get passed around every holiday.

notme:
    Happiness is bull. Pursue pleasure.

23. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Xev, I have managed to create the illusion of hapiness. I still don't completely know why I bother. But it's working so far, but in the end I know it's an illusion created by yours truly.