Students to be taught there isn't a God

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by w1z4rd, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I had a similar education.
    However, by saying that I was taught facts, I mean that I was not fed illusions at school, not was I stimulated to waste time on "illogical things".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeh, I can tell.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
    I went to bible school and sang in the church choir!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I mean, you lack...empathy. Or rather fail to practise it. I put it down to a lack of imagination.

8. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Empathy is just a very primitive way of getting people to 'care' for each other in order for the tribe to be able to survive without people killing each other while they sleep. For a sufficiently enlightened person it is entirely unnecessary and potentially harmful because in our society we encounter far too many people to be able to empathise with all of the, hence the monkeysphere becomes a serious problem.

more info here

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I really don't care what the behaviourists say it is. To me its a person who hears a first hand account of a friend in a coma following an attempted suicide and does not say "Oh its natural selection at work".

10. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

That's not what I'm saying at all, it is beneficial to everyone for the comma patient to recover therefore it is moral to assist them.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No that is what Varda said to someone here.

It will be inetersting to see how they handle teaching the "humanism"

I predict though that some religious people will see this as an atheist attempt to convert or influence their children negatively and pull their children out of the schools/

Also, the educators might be interested in doing a study like this:

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Look up structural adjustment policy.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A red herring. Nice work.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not at all. A very secular exploitation of the masses. Also an apparent by product of atheism

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111013/Worldwide-Highly-Religious-More-Likely-Help-Others.aspx

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If it doesn't matter which religion makes people give more or kill themselves less, then it proves the benefits are independent of wether that religion is true or not. This argument only supports religion as a convenient falsehood, a means of social maintenance, and a drugless anti-depressant.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Agreed. But then you go on to say:

And I disagree! That concept does NOT support anything that means religion is a "falsehood". It only means that it's as you said above ...that religion may or may not be true.

But as you've said above, if religion provides a benefit for society, then whether it's true or not is irrelevant. The benefits are real ....and that's all that really matters.

Baron Max

19. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Yet you seem to be promoting a system whereby we program our children with an ideology. Greater imagination would be fostered via atheism than the entire pantheon of gods. One is a blank slate, the other is a paint-by-number.

You either don't understand what you are saying or you are being hypocritical. Which is it?

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I go by the evidence. The evidence is that atheism is not compatible with imagination. What do you go by?

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

There's no need. These classes are voluntary. Parents can tell the school if they don't want their children to attend them. And that also applies to religious education classes.

They might also like to study homicide rates, which tend to show that religious people are more likely to kill others.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nonsense.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What if it is, and suicide is the result of comparing what is to what could be?