Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI)

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by kmguru, Jul 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

thecurly1 ...

I thought you were a student of history.

Don't you remember Eisenhower's caution re. the military/industrial complex as he left office? Who will benefit most from the money spent? You? Me? Any of us who are not involved with the military/industrial complex in this country?

Although, I don't think it's the military/industrial complex any more ... I think it's the Pentagon/industrial complex. The 'grunts' aren't going to see much of a benefit either.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

Re: thecurly1 ...

I hope as a country, we are sensitive to the needs of the 'grunts'. Some of my friend's kids are in the military at that level. They are barely making their ends meet. May be we could incorporate SDI in a new infrastruture that improves the performance and quality of the grunts on and off base.

This is a whole different topic , we could start a thread on.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Okay kmguru ...

You bent my arm so we'll get back to SDI.

Found this interesting bit in today's London Times that falls right in with the SDI and Pentagon/industrial complex bit:
    Didn't hear anything about this on the news this morning so I decided this would be an appropriate time to post it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2001
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Jeez thats great, maybe when Bush goes to China he can convince their military to lo-jack every nuke warhead so we can find them easier.

This is why SDI won't work in the future, if ever. Its too easy to overwhealm, and trick.

8. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Way to go

/me rolling on the floor, laughing out loud

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Bye!

Crisp

9. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

I'm unscribing too all threads need time off, see you all later.

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

We will miss you, thecurly1.
    The info below comes from the Lockheed Martin website.

The U.S. Department of Defense Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (BMDO) has identified four programs as "the bedrock of the theater ballistic missile defense architecture." They are the Theater High-Altitude Area Defense system (THAAD); the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) system; and the Navy Area Defense (NAD) and Navy Theater Wide (NTW) programs. The U.S. Air Force is pursuing the Airborne Laser (ABL) and Space-Based Laser (SBL) programs to provide the boost-phase element of the missile defense family of systems. Finally, the international Medium Extended Air Defense System (MEADS) program will provide future military forces with a highly mobile air and missile defense capability.

Lockheed Martin has major roles in all of these high-priority programs, ranging from the prime contractor and systems integrator role to the development of critical technologies such as hit-to-kill, infrared seekers, precision pointing and tracking optics, radar and signal processing. Through its involvement in these and other missile defense programs, Lockheed Martin is contributing to every U.S. land-based, airborne, naval and space-based missile defense initiative.

11. kmguru Staff Member

wet1:

Goodwork. Even though, they are improving PAC-3 performance, we still need a ground based high energy laser system for a coordinated defense system. While ABL is a good idea, it will not be very effective unless there are several ABLs after the same target. I favor ground systems where you can provide massive energy through multiple capacitor banks.

Like it or not, we will have what I said from the beginning....and rightly so....

Next step will be DU based Gatling gun using magnetic propulsion and supercavitation (just a speculation folks....dont kill the messenger...)

12. Biggles Custos morum Registered Senior Member

Does anybody know if the technology from SDI can be used for NEOs or potentially hazadous asteroids?

13. kmguru Staff Member

Biggles:

Under the umbrella of SDI, there are more than 50 different projects are going on. It is a system than a specific gadget. So someday we will have such a capacity. Today, we could send nuclear missiles aboard space shuttle or rockets but its results may not be 100%.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

From Fox News:
    Pentagon Opens Missile Talks With Russians

U.S. officials opened talks at the Pentagon with their Russian counterparts Tuesday, making President Bush's case that his missile defense plan won't be an obstacle to cuts in nuclear forces.
    But even before the two-day, closemouthed meeting began, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said not to expect too much at first.
    Rumsfeld said the talks, which begin Tuesday, "will more likely be an exchange of information rather than an exchange of views."
    He will go to Moscow next weekend to follow up.
    The talks are the first in a series of three rounds designed to implement an agreement President Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin reached July 22 in Genoa, Italy. That agreement links U.S. planning for a missile defense system with large cuts the Kremlin wants in the two nations' still-massive nuclear weapons arsenals.
    After the Genoa meeting, Condoleezza Rice, Bush's national security adviser, went to Moscow to elaborate on U.S. strategic thinking. Rumsfeld said Friday this week's talks are a chance for the Russians to give the results of their review.
    "They will have, one would hope, a much more detailed understanding of the kinds of things we're thinking about with respect to our offensive and defensive capabilities and the various ways that our two countries can cooperate," Rumsfeld said.

15. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Hate to be a party poop Biggles ... But ...

Looks like old Mother Nature (or whatever gods or goddess's there be) has thrown Homo Sap another curve.
    Project NEAR and dear little Eros pointed out a little survival problem. Although it was already considered that blasting apart a large asteroid might not be the brightest thing to do ... the difference between a single bullet and a shotgun blast ... and that a nudge to have it miss Earth might be a more appropriate ... We're now faced with the question: What do you do with an asteroid that is already a shot-gun shell load?

You can't nudge it off course!!!!!

Sleep on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.