Stop the fish ignorance

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by peta9, Jul 27, 2007.

1. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

I've wondered since I heard these types of claims: Are there actually biologists who agree that fish have no nervous system? Because the hicks seem to think so.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No nervous system ? LOL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

they just drift..."go with the ocean dude"...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Well Im not a Biologist but it seems complete stupidity to me. Isn't the claim that they think scientists have proven this?

8. draqon Banned Banned

9. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Yeah thats my understanding, but my question was "ARE THERE ACTUALLY SCIENTISTS OUT THERE THAT BACK UP THE HICK CLAIM?"

10. draqon Banned Banned

hick claim?...what is a hick claim?

11. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Well it usually involves being dumb and having parents who are closely related.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Its is complete bullocks and i have never heard of any scientist says thsi to be true.
    Who actually said that though ? I think one must be pretty retarded to say such a thing.

13. draqon Banned Banned

I can say anything, does not mean I am retarded.

14. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

It's an urban legend very prominent among the wellies-on-braces community I believe.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Fish are going to die anyway so I'm just speeding up that process. The fish eat other fish so do they all feel empathy?

16. draqon Banned Banned

you will die anyway, so I will eat you, ok?

17. John99 Banned Banned

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In order to be acknowledged as a biologist, you have to have a working knowledge of biology. All vertebrates have a central nervous system, by definition! It's inside the spinal cord. This was covered in second-year high school biology back in my day. Perhaps in this anti-science pro-religion era the course has been postponed to the university level, but anyone who does not know that fish have a central nervous system is not a biologist.

As to whether fish have emotions... Emotions require some fairly complicated chemical and electrical signal processing so it's safe to say that worms and amoeba with their primitive, decentralized nervous "systems" can't possibly have them. I'm not qualified to hypothesize about more complex creatures like the octopus, but any animal with a central nervous system and a forebrain has enough synapses to be a candidate. Any proper vertebrate, or probably even the sharks, eels and other cartilaginous quasi-fish off in their own phylum.

I haven't seen any scholarly assertion by a biologist to the effect that some minimal level of synaptic complexity has been identified beneath which emotions are impossible in the lower vertebrates. So emotional capability is a spectrum. It stands to reason that the animals with smaller, simpler forebrains--the fish, amphibians and reptiles whose exothermic metabolism has to make do with a very parsimonious ration of fuel and oxygen to burn it--have less emotional range than birds and mammals.

The dividing line between an emotion and an instinct is blurry. If an animal acts companionable toward a human, is it the emotions of friendship and gratitude, or is it the pack-social instinct?

Those of you who think you've seen emotion in a fish's face--a dead fish no less--need to understand that humans can express our emotions to our pack-mates with something like 100 muscles that do nothing but move around the skin in our faces for the specific purpose of communicating non-verbally. Even dogs, our oldest companions in civilization, have nothing like that; they can't furrow their brows or purse their lips. How many facial muscles do you suppose a fish has? If a fish is capable of feeling fright or sadness as an emotion rather than an instinct, does it actually have the muscles to express it? Why would it? What is the survival benefit?

Birds are far more advanced anatomically than fish, and the only part of their face they can move with muscles is their eyelids--a body part fish don't even have! They can also fluff their feathers for warmth, and they use that single small motion to express the entire gamut of negative emotions from fear to loathing--but only as a minor supplement to their well-developed vocal abilities.

Surely fish feel pain, but the question is: how much? Every species has a different pain threshold. Dogs are remarkably blase about blows, punctures and pinches to many parts of their bodies. It's a function of the density of nerve endings in that region of the skin, as well as the synaptic programming to interpret the sensations. How many nerve endings does a fish have in its mouth, with which to sense the hook? I'm sure if we ask enough ichthyologists that question, one of them will know, but I doubt that he's here with us since SciForums is pretty low these days on representatives of some of the hard sciences.

Anthropomorphism: don't let it get in the way of science. There are plenty of good reasons to be kind to animals.

19. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

No, I mean, we understand that fish feel pain.
    It's just our dietary needs take precedence. People, being omnivorous, need a wide and varied diet to fulfil their nutritional needs.

A claim made by a hick. Hence "hick" and "claim".

The difference is fish actually does taste good.
    People, or so I hear, taste like horse.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well... That's not 100% accurate. It's true that the grain-based diet that supported most of humanity from the dawn of civilization until quite recently is so poor in nutritional quality that it reduced adult life expectancy from the 40s in the Mesolithic era to the 20s in the Roman Empire. But we have finally learned to create a balanced diet without animal flesh if we so choose. The real issue is that we spent six million years evolving off in a different direction from all the other primates, and became predatory carnivores. We have the instinct to eat meat.

However... As I have pointed out before, what distinguishes Homo sapiens from all other animals is our uniquely massive forebrain. We have the ability to override our instincts with learned and reasoned behavior. To a qualitatively greater extent than our companion animals, we can do things that contradict our instincts, teach them to our children, and build an entire civilization on them.

The first of these learned and reasoned behaviors was to override our gorilla-chimpanzee pack-social instinct and learn to live in harmony and cooperation with total strangers. This allowed us to build civilization in the first place and was thus a very good precedent.

If we can do that, we can learn and reason our way to not being carnivores any more. The question is why? What will motivate us to do that?

I won't eat dog, horse or rabbit meat because I regard them as part of our community. I won't eat whale or monkey meat because they're so intelligent I'd rather try to communicate with them. I eat pork only because I'm good at cognitive dissonance: pigs are highly intelligent and people have begun keeping them as pets and I just don't even think about it while I'm shopping and cooking. If I had children they would probably see through me and convince me to stop eating it. Will each generation find excuses to consider the meat of a few more species taboo, until they're all exempt?

Or will most of us always feel comfortable eating the most primitive animals like shrimp and snails?

21. GhostofMaxwell. Banned Banned

Well the story around the rod goes that scientists have proven that fish feel no pain and stress. So I would go through an argumeent in my mind that vertibrates(certainly) would have a nervous system as a consequent of evolution, for a start. There is so much elementary science that wouldn't be understood though that I dont even bother vocalizing in the end.

I think it could well be the lack of emotion communication among fish that has suffered the chinese whisper treatment.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think a major reason for thinking fish dont feel pain is that the dont react to pain. They dont cry out, flinch or run away when you hurt them. They just well... lay there. You cant read pain from a fishes eyes either..
    It is a huge evolutionary advantage to be able to feel pain, ands i guess that goes for any vertabrate.
    Im not aware of any research about nerve-endings in a fishes lip but it could indeed well be that there are very few there. Then again i have yet to meet a fisher that hooks every single fish perfectly through the lip. What about the fishes that get hooked through the eye or swallow the hook and get hooked in the stomach?

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Edit: Hmm something was wrong a tried to post several times but the page didnt load... now it seems i posted it twice :shrug:

Apologies.... :bawl: more than twice it seems :bawl: