Stephen King On Writing

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by tablariddim, Nov 4, 2001.

1. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

For all you aspiring novelists out there, I heartily recommend this book. Very inspiring, very educational.

I am now reading Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling, which I bought to see what all the fuss is about (on King's recommendation of the Author). Though it's not the sort of thing I'm prone to reading and bearing in mind that it's meant for children, I can honestly say that it is actually very good--reminds me of a sort of more sophisticated present day Enid Blyton 'Five' novel without the racist slurs.

I think when I finish it I will go re-edit my own finished novel for the umpteenth time and put some of my new-found knowledge to use. And then.. I really want to start writing another; I told you--inspiring!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Tablariddim, I have every book written by Stephen King.

Got the Black House just yesterday...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Great writer he is, really. If I read his books, I see it happen before my eyes, right away. Wonderful.

I think the Green Mile is one of the most good movies which are made based on a book written by S. King.

Do you have the books he wrote about the Dark Tower?
    That is a nice couple of books. It is a pity he waits so long, writing the following one on this particular four books about one and the same story.

Talk to you later...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Funnily enough I hadn't read any of his work before 'On Writing'. For horror I used to read, er.. an English author whose name totally escapes me (Englands answer to King)--he wrote 'Rats', amongst others. It's funny but I can see his face but can't remember his name, that's ironic because writers are usually faceless.

Anyway, since King inspired me back into reading, in 3 weeks I've read 2 Harry potter books (great fun), A Painted House by John Grisham (written in first person--good low key drama/thriller) and The Stand by stephen king--all 1400+ pages of the uncut version, which was gripping.

I have now almost completed a synopsis for my second novel, which is a murder mystery/thriller set in Cyprus (I've never actually read a murder mystery thriller, so I should have a fresh slant on things

).

His name is, his name is.. Ahhh

! It's on the tip of my tongue
    JAMES HERBERT that's who, Jame Herbert I knew it would come to me.

Later
    TablaBing TablaBong

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Acerbus Wanderer of the Wastes Registered Senior Member

The Harry Potter books are good

ive have read all four of them like that thing says "books for all ages" stephen king kicks ass also

right now im re-reading Desperation and ive read like the first quarter of The Black Tower.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I know the work of James Herbert, he writes ok, but not the way Stephen King does.

Did you see the movie then, which is made after S. Kings book the Stand? A movie from six hours, but a great movie. Available on video. You should go see it....

By the way, the Black House tells two stories in one book. He wrote this one together with Peter Staub, which whom he also wrote the Talisman and that is no horror oh no.

The Dark Tower isn't horror either. It is wonderful, real good stories. Perhaps you should try it out Tablariddim.

You could be surprised.

What do you think Acerbus?

Isn't the Dark Tower great, all four of them. Read the Black House, there is some Dark Tower in it. But it is not a whole fifth part of the Dark Tower books he wrote. But even though, wonderful book.

As always. Stephen King never disappoints me.

9. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I’VE SEEN CHRISTINE, THE SHINING AND CHILDREN OF THE CORN, ALL OF THEM A LONG TIME AGO. I REMEMBER ENJOYING CHRISTINE THE MOST. I WILL DEFINITELY READ MORE OF HIS WORK.

LATER
    TABLABING TABLABONG

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Tablariddim, you should read the book 'The Shining', completely different and much more good then the movie. The movie doesn't tell half the story he wrote down in his book.

Though it is a great movie with Jack Nickolson in the lead row and that is a great actor, in every movie he plays a part in.

Same goes for 'Christine' and 'Children of the Corn'. The movies are real good, but if you've read the books, it is a lot different.
    By the way, 'Children of the Cotn' is a short story he wrote, but they made several movies about it.

Did you see 'Cujo' then? That is a good movie, only the end isn't right with the book. Go figure that one out, great movie, great book.

And 'The Deadzone" is a real good movie also, as is the book.

Well, I can go on like this for hours. So nice of you to start with naming Stephen King.

Please go on with it. I really like to know what you think of his books. And the movies.

Talk to you later.

11. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

i read king's short story call "why we crave horror stories" it was good, it shows his philosophy on his writings.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes I know that one too. It shows more of the man behind the stories also.

Isn't it great? He really is a great story teller. Wonderful books, though there are a few a little less, but they are still more then good...

Still busy in The Black House...

Written together with Peter Straub who has a lot of very good books written also.

13. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Stephen King

I think his first book was The Shining and from then on I was hooked. I adore his books. I wonder if anyone can help me with getting a copy of the book he wrote for the internet - I think it was called Ride the Bullet (or something like that). In any event, I refuse to put credit card details on the internet (disregard the fact that I have cut up all my credit cards) but I don't know how else to get a copy.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Don't forget his books written as Richard Bachman and I also found a four tape cassette package of storys read by him called Blood and Smoke.

I think my favorite to date is The Green Mile. I hope he keeps writing forever.

14. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Re: Stephen King

Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday; the day Pet Semetary was published it. I'd just finished Cujo, which I didn't enjoy at all, so I was looking forward to the new tome.

Damn, it was awful. Last Stephen King book I read. But of his pre-PS days, the Stand is his finest, IMO. Closely followed by Salem's Lot.

However...
    DIfferent Seasons is excellent. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was made into a film worthy of the story, The Body was made into a film starring Wesley Crusher and apparently Apt Pupil was made into a film as well, but I haven't seen it.
    No idea what the fourth story was, but the other three are amongst those short works you have to read.

15. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Hi rde,

I agree with you that The Stand was a great book and it was made into a double video release but didn't live up to expectations.

When you mentioned Different Seasons, I dug it up from my book shelves. The 4th story on that was one called "The Breathing Method" - about a woman determined to give birth to a baby, no matter what.

Apt Pupil was so-so as a movie, but you have to concede that it's hard to live up to any type of book when making a movie. Rde, if you haven't read The Green Mile, give it a go, I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Actually, when looking at the books, I found quite a few that didn't impress me, but I've always liked his style of writing. He doesn't overflow with flowery adjectives. And when you think about it, quite a few have been made into movies, Thinner, Misery, The Langoliers (that was from another four story book called Four Past Midnight, and I know there have been quite a few others, mainly made into video releases. I think there is a movie being released called Hearts in Atlantis, which is the name of one of SK's books. The movie hasn't been released out here yet. Anyone seen it?

Cheers
    Teri

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The first book written by Stephen King was 'Carrie'.

There is a movie made about this book way back in 1976 already and I saw that one in the Cinema then. I was just a teenager in that time and had just found out about S. King.
    Good movie, really.

Most of the times his books are a lot better then the movies made after his books. There is a lot more in the books.
    Take for instance 'The Shining' and 'The Stand'.
    In the books is much more to be found and 'The Stand' is a movie that lasts 6 hours, but doesn't contain all what is in the book.

'The Shining" was a nice movie to look at, but it doesn't show what it is really about. In the book you can find that it was the hotel that got to man's head and drove him crazy and a lot of things are not even done right in the movie.

'Cujo' has a complete different ending in the movie, in the book the boy dies, in the movie they live long and happy in the end.

The books he wrote under Richard Bachman are just as good as the others. He did that to look if people should buy the books in the same way, he wrote under his real name.

Well, the public found this out rather quickly because it was registerd by his publice agency and it came out that Richard Bachman was in fact Stephen King. So the books were sold as good as the other ones.

Try Peter Straub...he is a good writer also.

But stay on reading S. King, for his latest book 'The Black House' is a wonderful one...

17. pragmathen 0001 1111 Registered Senior Member

Egad!

Man, I must say that I love Stephen King's books. But it surprises me that no one's mentioned <i>It</i>, which I'd have to say is my favorite book by him. It just kept getting better, the storylines were so convoluted, and the ending touched a little base with the sci-fi genre--which is right up my alley. Twas a great book, it.

Desperation would have to be second-best running a tight parallel with the Stand. Tommyknockers was worth the read, but it ended rather abruptly. Dreamcatcher was quite cool as well, as he delved a bit into the sci-fi again.

As far as the others (i.e., PS, Cujo, Carrie, Firestarter, &c.), since I've seen them in movie form, it's nearly impossible for me to want to read the book version afterward. Anyone else like that? I don't really know why (yeah I do), but I have a difficult to impossible time of picking up a book after I've seen the movie for it, even though I'm fairly certain the book will turn out better. But I hate knowing what happens to everyone already. Kind of spoils the whole suspense thing, I guess.

Well, that's my thoughts.

Thanks!

prag

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

IT...

Pragmathen, IT is a very, very good book. Much better then the movie. Much more in the book then in the movie. And the ending is a little different then in the book, just as Cujo has an entire different ending then in the book. So has The Shining. Really, in the books is a lot more to be found then in the movies...But everybody has his/her own look at it.

I loved to read Dreamcatcer, wonderful story. Tommyknockers and Desperation are a little less I think, but that is only my opinion. I really have all S. Kings books and will keep on buying them. I can really see it happen before my eyes, while reading the stories.

What about the Dark Tower books? I am waiting for the fifth one. Hope he will come up with it pretty soon. It has been four years ago now he wrote the last one. Glass and Wizzards.
    There is a little Dark Tower in the latest book written by him and Peter Straub (the Talisman) called Black House. Good story, really...

19. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Stephen King

Doesn't anyone else share my love of The Green Mile?

Actually when you look at the collection of his books it's kinda mind boggling. He must have the worlds greatest imagination.

Still no answer on Ride The Bullet..... has anyone read it?

Cheers
    Teri

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Hi Teri, I mentioned The Green Mile at the thread about movies. Great book, great movie. Have you seen the movie? So sad...

Don't you mean Silver Bullet? That one I know yes. Great story.
    Haven't seen the movie, but I prefer the books above the movies any way. Because in the movies there is a lot changed most of the time and sometimes the story is not doing as well as in the books.

21. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Hi Banshee

I haven't heard of Silver Bullet so I'll do a bit of research. All I know is that there was one book he wrote that was only available on the internet.

Yes, I did see the movie The Green Mile, (I couldn't wait for it to be released) and I think that's the best conversion to a movie of any of his books. The new one you're reading I haven't found in paperback yet, but I'll be looking forward to getting that one too.

It's great to share a love of an author with someone, thanks.
    Let's keep each other updated with any new releases.

Cheers
    Teri

22. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Teri...great idea

I totally agree with you about The Green Mile. It sure was the best movie they've ever made after a book by S. King.

Black House is the latest book, so I guess it will take a little time before it is available in paperback. But it is a great story. It is built up so very nice. It gets better and better. I finished it, but shall not tell you the story.

If I may say something to you...First buy The Talisman. It is written by S. King and P. Straub also and available in paperback. Then you can read on in Black House, which is also written by both authors and The Talisman has a big connection with Black House.

Great story, The Talisman.

Let me know if you read it and what you think. I love to talk about this books. Have them all...

23. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Hi Banshee

Thanks for the info. I've got the Talisman - I read it years ago - and have since forgotten the story. But if it's connected to the new book, I'll re-read it and maybe by then the new book will be available in paperback.

I must admit though much of my reading time has been spend on the internet. I've become an internet junkie.

Have a good Christmas if I don't catch up with you before then.

Love
    Teri