Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

In an hour the Galactica could pummel the glassing ship with nukes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ricrery Banned Banned

Can it do it on the same magnitude? I mean, low megatons and shit... ignoring that and you have to remember, NRF will not work against the Halo ships.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Shields are shields. What wouldn't let a ship in wouldn't let a fighter in. Secondly, where in the movie does it state it has shields?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I can't remember the episode, but Gul Dukat wanted to use the Defiant to pretty much volcanize the surface of a class M planet. He stated that he had time to do it before an approaching fleet arrived, yet said fleet was stated to be 15 minutes away. Thus, the Defiant can slag the surface of a planet within 15 minutes.

And Dukat would know plenty about the capabilities of the Defiant, as he's served on it (and even as a bridge officer on it) plenty of times. Not to mention Sisko didn't argue against the fact that the ship could do it, but rather the reason behind doing it.

I forget the episode, like I said - I'll try to find it.

8. ricrery Banned Banned

The same ones firing 10 teraton projectiles BIGGER than nukes? Fuck, the shields could regenerate faster than all the BSGs combined firing at them.

9. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I fail to see how the mentioning of weapon strength has anything to do with shield strength.

10. ricrery Banned Banned

Shields that can't protect against projectiles. They are designed to take turbo hits, and then when a starship flies into it, the defenses will blow it to kingdom come and back.

11. ricrery Banned Banned

It takes FOUR TERATONS from projectiles STRONGER THAN NUKES to DESTROY A COVENANT SHIP.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Dude, wtf... are you really asking that?

It can volcanize the entire crust of a planet... on it's own. As in, the crust turns to liquid. All of it. You don't need high-giga or teraton firepower to do that... hence why the BDZ isn't proof of an SD's ability to fire such insane levels of power. If anything, the fact that continent sized CHUNKS of the planet aren't blown clear of the planet proves that they ARE NOT firing such levels of power.

13. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

If a shield protects against piece of planet, how does it not let in a ship with less structural integrity?

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Then those shields would NOT block a planetary chunk... as that chunk would be far more similar to a SHIP than a bolt of Energy...

Thus, the DS has no shields to protect against a planetary mass coming at it at a fraction of c, and if such a chunk were to hit it, it's lights out death star.

15. ricrery Banned Banned

So phaser crap? I see. Explain how those will damage a ship with shields superior to anything the Federation has ever fought.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Thank you! Tell me other people can see the flaws in this Ricrery guys logic!

17. ricrery Banned Banned

Neutronium. It's so thick in comparison to normal ship's width, that a projectile hitting it would be no use.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Explain to me why you give so much credit to the shields in SW... they obviously aren't that powerful as weapons that do less than the Defiant to a planet can take down their shields... something is amiss here.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but SW Neutronium =/= ST (and thus, Real Life) Neutronium.

Proof:

Pretty simple... even you should be able to see the obvious here...

20. ricrery Banned Banned

A normal ISD can turn a planet to slag, with everything burning in molten fire in under 15 minutes. BUT, it uses DET which is something you need to beat SW ships.

21. ricrery Banned Banned

I DIDN'T SAY THAT. I said that it's too thick for any chunk to damage it.

22. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

23. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

You're welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.