Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricrery Banned Banned

And where would they find a Necron to assimilate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. soullust Registered Senior Member

star trek..its way out there, but the show is way down to earth compared to star wars..

i mean come one who really thinks man will ever build a death star. Not likely.

but i could see enterprise type star ships, and we all ready teleported, single atoms, plus nanno tech is showing possibility of being able to replicate items.

but star wars was an OK movie as well, and has reached great status, but no way comes close to the status of star trek.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, sufficiently advanced immune systems have stopped the Borg before, at least for a time. 8472;s immune system was the reason they could not be assimilated... though I wonder if over time an adaptation would have been found.

It's an interesting question. I think they would have to assimilate other psionics first and then go after them to even have a chance to be honest.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

8. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

in this part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDHBwTHvKw
    it shows definitively that the Borg can adapt to any possible assaults by just assimilating just one member of a crew.
    Oh and to add to what Sardonic Crisis said, they have already assimilated millions of cultures. Which would include psionics like Betazoids and such. So using the Force against the Borg would be .....futile.
    All they need to do to defend against anything in Stargate, SW, etc for instance, is just one person from any attacking vessel or base etc. They are the epitomy of efficiency. They don't care how many vessels of their's are destroyed. Eventually they will find the kink in your armor, so to speak.
    Even if a Tactical Cube or sphere is destroyed immediately, no attack would be fast enough to cut transmission of the information gained while attacked.
    In this episode, it is also stated with fair certainty, that a Borg vessel will continue to function normally even if 70% of it is destroyed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  9. ricrery Banned Banned

Explains why Worf and Data got into H2H with the Borg. Projectiles > Borg

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

actually projectiles dont work against borg. It wasn't machine gun bullets picard was firing but actually the effects of the holodeck shield.

11. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Right, you do have a point.....yeah they used hologram projectiles not real projectiles.....it is just the holodeck with the safety off......he even said that it was holographic bullets in the film. I can't believe I didn't remember until now, thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

no problem

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Actually one fan-theory that I have seen that makes sense is that the Borg weren't expecting Picard to fire bullets, real or not. It seems incredibly random and unlikely that a race who uses energy weapons suddenly use projectile guns, thus the drones were quickly shot down. Their shields are prepared for the expected phaser beam, not surprise bullets from a tommy gun.

A similar real world example could be a group of kids in a paper ball fight. After a while, a kid learns to protect himself by blocking the paper balls with his folder. Most balls won't hit him with his new barrier up. What he wouldn't expect is for another kid to throw a water balloon. Suddenly, his shield is useless and what we have is a wet flimsy folder and a soaked kid.

It is likely that if bullets were used more frequently against the Borg, they will then adapt their shielding to block phaser blasts and bullets as they would expect both to be used in combat.

14. ricrery Banned Banned

That's an unbiased post of st-vs-sw.net.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  15. ricrery Banned Banned

Pure speculation, NEVER have they faced bullets. And only a deranged fanboy or Scott Anderson would claim it. Are you a deranged fanboy? I doubt it, but you're starting to act like it.

16. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

please learn some english. He was theorizing as to what might happen. So yes, he IS speculating. He didn't state something as a definitive fact. Hence the word 'IF'.....DUH!!
    Despite their age and their "primitiveness", projectile weapons like firearms (especially firearms from Earth's 20th and 21st centuries) are still considered potent, effective, and reliable weapons by many civilizations in the 23rd and 24th centuries.
    And considering the events of
    - First Contact, VOY: "The Killing Game", "The Killing Game, Part II", the existence of the TR-116 rifle, TOS: "A Piece of the Action",
    you are absolutely wrong.

really? and you wouldn't call your continuous fanatical behavior, deranged...? Yeah ok. Whatever you say, Dr. Jekyl.

17. ricrery Banned Banned

Not really. RSA has been mocked across the web, by L-W, Mike Wong, and critics. Besides, why don't you explain what happened in those episodes, then explain how Borg could adapt. Never mind the H2H fight in BoBW proves VOY WRONG. Ignoring that, S8472 comes into the picture. Here's your theory:

"DUR BIOSTUF KAN HUTR BORG BUT PWOJECTILES CWANT!"

18. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

I don't know who you are talking to, but what you said has nothing to do with what I told you. Hence my initial statement about your fanatical behavior.

19. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Apocalypse is right...I said that it was a theory not definitive fact. Never once did I claim they will adapt, just that they might adapt.

But Apocalpyse, I didn't meant that bullet-firing guns are not lethal or any less effective. Other species are still welcome to use them, yet the Feds and other major powers prefer energy-based ones and the TR-116 was never used against the Borg onscreen, only in novels.

20. ricrery Banned Banned

Woah, Feds probably can't even produce teratons with their entire output. Until they're past 1E30 in overall power, then they will be a major power.

21. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

And Ricery, the Borg were adapting to 8472. As the episode moved along, the Borg were starting to take more hits against them. The planet-busting beams from the bioships went from one-hit kills at the beginning to two-hit kills near the end. The Collective was adapting slowly, but Species 8472 were just killing them faster than they can recover.

22. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

And neither have the ISDs which are in the upper megaton range (not gigatons).

The Federation is the third largest power in the Milky Way behind the Dominion in 2nd and the Borg at 1st so it is a major power. And ironically every other power that knows them considers them the biggest potential threat depite having the weakest weaponary. Phasers are much weaker (low to mid megatons) compared to the disruptors of Klingons and Romulans (upper megatons), but Fed shields are very durable to compensate.

Modern Starfleet vessels go toe to toe against much more powerful warships yet are capable of staying in the fight due to their incredible shielding. Simply overpowering Fed shields and wearing them down is not enough, such as how the Scimitar in ST: Nemesis shot down the Romulan warbirds with ease but having a more difficult time with the Enterprise.

The only true way to destroy Fed ships are to disrupt the shields themselves such as in TNG "Survivors" or tune your weapons to bypass them such as with the Dominion and the Borg. ISDs may be a bit more powerful then Starfleet ships, but using brute strength against a Fed ship almost means nothing unless you can somehow take care of the shields.

23. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

If the transponder prefix codes are revealed to an enemy, they can know how to dismantle a ships shields. Like in this episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J7qFENFUBA#t=7m14s and continued here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY_e4oIolcs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.