Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Heh... the long and short of it is - Warp Speed is stupid fast at times, and crazy slow at others. Case in point - 8.5 being faster most of the time than 9.5... like in Voyager *shrugs*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

thanks for the info.
    Not to sound like a total geek, but didn't Reddenberry specifically state that NO third nacel be placed on a ship? or was it that the nacelles can only be BEHIND a starship?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

I don't think you've taken into account the specific distances. Like at what point would they be 75 years from 'home'? The variable here being where they were at what time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ricrery Banned Banned

Can you concede Borg would be mostly killed before fully adapting then?

8. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

he already said he removes himself from the argument. Wake up and stop trying to pick a fight as usual.

9. ricrery Banned Banned

You're not allowed to debate this, or question this dead debate.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, certainly - the Borg would be greatly reduced in number and strength before finding a successful adaptation - however, remember - it only takes a single drone to rebuild the entire collective. If that one drone remains and has the final adaptation, it can then start assimilating even the Necrons... and then god help us all

11. ricrery Banned Banned

... But first they have to capture the Necron, which has enough defense mechanisms to escape.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's part of what I mean by adapting. I don't know all the Necron's defenses, but they can't be THAT great - I mean, I kick their ass as the Imperial Guard every time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. ricrery Banned Banned

That's game mechanics, in which they still have the "We'll be back" trait which brings back the defeated Crons. If one is captured, it could use an emergency teleport back to its Tomb.

There is also no post on the Necron vs Borg thread made by you.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's odd... I did make the post... maybe it has to be accepted by a mod? *shrugs*

15. ricrery Banned Banned

No. You just have to wait a long time. Try again.

16. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Sorry for being gone for a while, spammed with school work lately...

That's how I picture it. Both warp scales are not true indicators of linear speed, they mostly show the average upper limits of the drive.

One theory that I personally like that you seem to grasp is that speed is dependant on how well subspace can be warped. Some areas of space can be warped easily, so speed is increased while other areas such as Voyager's subspace 'sandbanks' are harder to warp, so speed is greatly decreased. Well mapped out areas can allow a starship to transverse in a reasonable amount of time.

This is may explain how in TOS, they can go from the galactic edge through well mapped Fed space to the core in a few months when the scale may say otherwise. Ships traveling through uncharted areas like Voyager in the Delta Quadrant must move much more slower as the subspace layout is still unknown. Under the theory, a straight path doesn't mean anything if a curved or jagged route passes through a region of easily-warped subspace. Example: Whenever Voyager upgraded its astrometric data or received route tips, it shaved reasonably large amounts of time off of their trip home as then they may pilot the ship through the faster subspace areas.

Supposedly the starship design rules were rewritten slightly to accomidate the designs of mid TNG onward. Originally a starship's nacelles must always come in pairs. Now, starships must have their warp coils in pairs. The AGT-EntD has two coils per nacelle, thus in line withthe new rule. Single-nacelled ships such as the Freedom Class and Kelvin-types most likely have an even number of coils as well.

17. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

No, Wh40k is irrelevant because its not on the poll.

As to others comments of off-topic sci-fi's, you can have insanely powerful abilities and still be outwitted. Isn't Aikido a martial art form that relies on using an opponent's strength against them?

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Heh, Aikido and Hapkido are both powerful forms of martial arts that work by deflecting, diverting, and otherwise absorbing an attackers damage and using it as a basis for a throw, joint lock, or otherwise incapacitate them without strikes.

19. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

excuse me? who the fuck are you to give me such fascist commands? I'll debate whatever the fuck I want. If you don't like it, there's the door.

20. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

yes. Alright. I stand corrected.
    I was just annoyed with this warhammer crap.

21. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

holy shit I just realized something. In this part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVWNBh-ufm8&NR=1 Kevin says he killed all the Husnok. Everywhere. But in Deep Space 9 we see Quark talking to a Husnok on his display in the bar. I can't believe the writers/producers completely forgot about this episode!

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Apoc - Writer Explanation - Kevin thought he killed them all, but missed a few.

Real explanation - after 300 some episodes, things get forgotten.

23. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

I know. lol
    But that's hardly an excuse. I mean, if we could find the info, why can't they? I think they were being too lazy, and didn't research enough. Most of the writers are ST geeks for crying out loud!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.