Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

In fact, Pollux hasn't been active since 2005.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

Interesting point. It may be possible for her to repel Q's powers against her specifically but not counter his powers in general. Too bad this is mostly speculation; I wish there was some exposition of their history...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

As Prophet said, "Interesting

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

" Damn, put me in contact with him. I've done my own little modifications on other games too ;P

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

Hell ya, I forgot about that scene completely. Q calling Guinan an Imp was 'wtf' moment lol
    I too really wish they elabborated on that part of scene in other episodes

Who knows, maybe in an other film they might. It would certainly be a wild ride watching Guinan from that point of view.

8. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

I guess I correct myself AND the wiki article. If we know that she is an Imp, she only fained being an El'Aurian at some point.

9. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

And in part 3 of "Q Who" there's proof that the Borg (at least back then) are able to beam through shields.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The Borg are able to beam through (and in many ways, bypass) shields completely - it isn't until the Federation introduced auto-modulation algorithms (computer controlled shields that changed frequency, modulation, and nutation to best resist incoming fire) that the Borg were unable to do so - once they find your shield frequency (an easy feat for them) they are able to pretty much act like it isn't there.

11. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

yes.

I wish they elaborated on how the Dominion are "able to beam through almost anything"......

12. Sardonic Crisis The God Emperor Registered Senior Member

I think he was saying she was mischievous when he referred to her as an imp. Yet, this begs the question as to why Q would be bothered by her and not another El-Aurian, or why Soran didn't put up more of a fight against Picard and Kirk if there is this power in their race? Maybe she's just unique within her own race. The racial name of El-Aurian brings up some clues; Aurian is probably derived from Aural, which has a double meaning, and the meanings are to listen and to pertain to an aura. She mentions that her race are listeners, but maybe she leaves out an oracle aspect?

13. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

14. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

possibly. But Q's reaction to her current name says it all. Along with his comment. It seems to indicate she has this Highlander tendency, if you will, to take on different identities periodically through out her long life. It's very possible Q meant the 'Imp' comment literally considering the afformentioned....

15. ricrery Banned Banned

Does everyone finally concede Borg stand no chance against Necrons? Or all of W40k for that matter.

16. Apocalypse2001 System Lord Registered Senior Member

w40k is irrelavant. Here we talk about sci-fi series'. Not petty little games.

17. ricrery Banned Banned

It is a Sci-Fi series, better than SW and ST IMO.

18. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

It's lagitement Sci-Fi. Not defending them, just stating a fact.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No amount of evidence to the contrary is going to sway your opinion, so rather than concede, I simply remove myself from the argument.

20. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

How long at Warp 9 would it take to travel a lightyear?

21. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Technically Gurren Lagann is sci-fi but I am not debating that because that will be cheap. Lagann have mechs the size of galaxies and I heard they have mechs the size of universes. Never really watched it, I am starting on it though.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Omega - considering Warp 1 is Lightspeed, and it is an exponential increase from there. Problem is, the scale isn't direct, and varies between series and, sometimes, between episodes:

TOS SCALE:
    Using this warp factor formula, a trip from Earth to Alpha Centauri (4.33 light years) would take:
    Warp factor Calculated speed (*c) Travel time
    .5 0.125 34.64 years
    1 1 4.33 years
    2 8 197.69 days
    3 27 58.57 days
    4 64 24.71 days
    5 125 12.65 days
    6 216 7.32 days
    7 343 4.61 days
    8 512 3.09 days
    9 729 52.07 hours
    10 1000 37.96 hours
    11 1331 28.52 hours

TNG SCALE:
    Warp factor Calculated speed (*c) Travel time
    .5 0.099 43.64 years
    1 1 4.33 years
    2 10.08 156.91 days
    3 38.94 40.61 days
    4 101.59 15.57 days
    5 213.75 7.4 days
    6 392.5 4.03 days
    7 656.14 2.41 days
    8 1024 37.07 hours
    9 1516.38 25.03 hours
    10 ∞ 0

Thing is, we see a few times where the Enterprise, in TOS, exceeds warp 10... even reaching Warp 14 once (In 2268, the Enterprise achieved a speed of warp 14.1 after being sabotaged by a Kalandan planetary defense system, though at that velocity the ship came within moments of destroying itself. (TOS: "That Which Survives") Bele, upon commandeering the Enterprise, propelled the ship faster than warp 10. (TOS: "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield") )

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Warp_factor

Its'... sadly, not very straight forward.

However, in All Good Things, it is stated that the upgraded Ent-D (with the third warp nacelle and heavy phaser cannon) is able to surpass Warp 15 or something to that extent... even the medical ship Crusher was captain of was able to exceed Warp 10... and more confusion:

In one episode, Warp 8.4 is so fast that Voyager could have made it home in 33 days instead of 75 YEARS... that's one hell of a discrepancy.

My only real conclusion - Warp Factor itself is an indication of the ships ability to warp space around it - however, some areas of space are better able to be warped than others. *shrugs* Not great, but the best I can figure

23. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Thanks for a somewhat easy to understand answer. Can't say I completely get all of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.