Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As far as I can tell, they are armed once they enter the tube (which accounts for 80% of the reload time of the tubes) from the ships main stores, which are replenished via the Bussard Collectors. Makes sense that they woould be able to synthisize their own fuel

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yes, but in the end he didn't care if Picard lived or died, and he kept using the same weapons

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

replicating is possible, though we seldom if ever see it done. i can again only speculate on the topic. ships don't replicate them. most of all Voyager didn't and they needed them. i guess the replicators use up lots of energy, more as the objects you replicate are larger. a facility in orbit or on a planet/oid might have more available fuel or supply chains to do this, while ships have to think of efficiency. also even replicating takes time and requires active replicators. resuplying ships with torpedoes is often a task that requires expediceous action. like simply beaming several hundred torpedoes in the storage.

the warheads on the other hand are a different story. i doubt you could store them as you would beer cans. i am in favor of the theory that antimatter is injected from the ship's own supply, but if that is not the case, then all those warheads need to be placed somewhere. and that might include over 300 antimatter warheads. antimatter warheads are nothing alike nuclear or thermonuclear warheads. the later are not prone to self igniting like because of the critical mass isue. intimatter warheads on the other hand in their very nature are very volatile. antimatter containement is a tricky ssubject. we have all seen what happened when U.S.S. Odyssey was rammed near it's antimatter pods in the deflector dish area.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1083160709

in most battles ships don't explode spontaniously like that when under fire so i think that there are no antimatter warheads stored on the ships. at least not fully operational or charged

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Can you find a video of this? If I missed that I do appologize, but I don't recall any yellow dots being fired *ponders*

As for why Disruptors can't be fired at warp while phasers can:

Phasers utilize an ACB-jacketed beam device to allow them to fire thru the warp field. The problem stems from the fact that inside and outside the warp field are two different constants. As the phaser beam passes thru the field, it would instantly fall out of warp speed, back to exactly C. As a result, the longer phaser beams (which aren't short pulses) would scatter. The ACB-jacketed beam device, in essence, allows the phaser to "capture" a part of the warp field and contain it, letting it ride out to the target. However, this comes at a nearly 30% drop in damage potential.

Dirsuptors, on the other hand, do not have a device such as this, and as far as I can read, they have not been able to be used at warp due to the same issue of dropping to C once outside the warp field.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Problem with not having spare cases is the power needed to replicate something complex like that - the guidance systems and other things *shrugs* Taking that power away from combat systems during a battle is probably not a good idea.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

here in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeYrkdyW2Cw
    time index 2:00

as for the FTL problem with the energy weapons i am aware of it. i just thought that maybe the Reamans found a way to compensate or implement a similar solution.

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

BTW, ST ships have suprisingly strong hulls considering their lack of thickness. in the earlier video the GCS was rammed by a Dominion bug ship that got fully destroyed in the process and the crater that this caused was way smaller then the ship that caused it, not to mention the effects of the explosion that should have followed. and Dominion is supposed to have stronger armour then the federation. i guess most of the hull stringht in UFP comes from the ISF use.

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that in "ST Nemesis" the Scimitar fires disruptors at the Enterprise while at warp (and cloaked, for that matter).
    Edit: Never mind, I see someone beat me to it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I... don't know what those are... I sincerely doubt they're photon torpedoes... maybe heavy disruptors? The way they exit the aperature makes me think they're a disruptor based weapon, since they don't all exit on the same path, which a torpedo leaving the tube would have to do. :shrug:

I never noticed before that they were yellow - sorry, partial colourblindness is a bitch. Freeze-framing that shot and the shots of the other weapons, i can see now the distinct difference... *ponders*

I dunno what to make of that... the Scimitar should only have two weapons systems... Disruptors, both Beam and Pulsed versions, and Photons...

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

14. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

the scimitar may have fired disruptors at the ent-e. Disruptors, although less efficient than phasers, can be more powerful in brute strength:
    ditl's disruptor page.

Funny enough, I believe this is the site that has the fanfic Portal. The one that gives ST a giant upperhand with SW just being pitiful.

15. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

most likely there are empty cases ready to be armed at a moments notice. If there is the time and the need, more can be replicated shipboard, but at the expence of your fuel for the replicator energy and warheads..

16. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*grins* That's... yeah, that's about how I imagine it. And it makes sense... THAT is why the rebels learned so much and became such a threat so fast - the Federation was helping them

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

According to the script, they are disruptors. Everyone who has transporters knows how to make an ACB, so if those are what's necessary to fire beam weapons at warp, then I don't know why we wouldn't expect everyone to be able to do it.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The thing is, Disruptors and Phasers are two very different things - the ACB Jacket follows around the Phaser beam - I dont' know if that can be done with disruptors, though I guess it could be done *shrugs*

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

don't be so hard on your self, you need to be a fanatic tactical engagement and military fan (yours truly) to wach combat scenes repeatedly hour after hour, trying to find every fault and take notice of every detail

maybe the yellow blobs are torpedoes after all if they are fired from a series of multiple one launch tubes mounted in linear pattern on the front central bulkheads?

my theory about the blue blobs being lighter and green being heavier disruptors, comes from the fact that Shinzon used the blue ones up untill the moment he thought he could disable E-E. when the warbirds came to help, he started using the green ones on them he took them out very fast. some argue that the warbirs had weaker shielding but i don't think it was just that. the blue blobs hit the E-E multiple times (at least 6 in the opening scenes) and they caused neglectible damage), while just 3 were enough to cut off a wing from one Norexan, and the Valdore was taken out with just 2 shots after they lost their shields. maybe Snizon had more intimate knowlidge on them and knew where to fire, but still, the difference in damage taking was just too great to be a coincidance IMO. besides, usualy in ST the torpedoes are the list articualted weapons used, so i don' think one would use them to disable a target.
    later on, when it was to the death with E-E the Scimitar used all weapons against it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

do you happen to have a link from the script? Nemesis is one of my most hated ST movies, (right after the newest movie), but the battle with the Scimitar is one of the best space combat scenes in SF history

22. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

"A multikenetic neutronic mine... 5 million isoton yield."

"An explosive that size, could effect an entire star system."

"Correct. The shockwave will disperse the nanoprobes over a radius of 5 lightyears."

wholy smokes... when the Borg have their back against the wall, they bring the heavy artillery!

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

that is basicly the destructve radius of a star going nova. funny how people fail to mention it in SW VS ST debates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.