Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, not by punching thru the hull, but by exploding thru the hull

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And Tomohawks wouldn't be affected by Chaff in the slightest - they are GPS guided

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As for removing a stargate from play, that's easy:

A) Blow it up - a few Photon Torpedoes should do the trick.
    B) Bury it under debris
    C) Erect a lvl 10 force field just outside the aperature - you walk into that, you're toast!
    D) Tractor beam and rip the damned thing off the planet, throw it into the nearest celestial body (Star, Black Hole, etc)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I dont no about the ELF, but the floating wire isnt that good, it still requires you to be pretty darn close to the surface for it to work...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Land attack tomahawks are. But why the hell would you use GPS on a ship? The damn thing moves, It uses typical radar to find the target, it may and i stress MAY use gps to orient itself to a predetermiend position, but in no way does it use GPS for terminal guidance.

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

All we got to do is put another one on the planet, which really wouldnt be that dificult.

Burying it under debris doesnt work, when the thing activates, it just sucks the debris up and unburies itself.
    Plus, i doubt youd waste the time or energy to remove EVERY single one considering they are scattered all over the galaxy and you cant even make it from one end of the galaxy to another in a timely manner.

In the gate universe we currently have the option of moving between about 4 different galaxies.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Floating wire works to something like 200 meters or so *shrugs* hardly "periscope depth"

And I thought you meant defending land based tom strikes with Chaff, sorry XD To be honest, most ships a Tomohawk would be used one... Chaff wouldn't help much. And they'd likely have a spotter (Helo or Jet or AWACS)

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Where would you GET another gate though... Earth has two, and the spare is already in use if I'm not mistaken...

And we can make it in a timely manner... remember Transwarp and Quantum Slipstream?

And how long do you think it'd take Trek to capture the Daedelus or Pegasus and analyze their tech? Asgard Tech would be interesting...

11. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

Yeah you can do that if you have a manufacturing plant that makes them, right?

They dont serve to benefit anyway because there are no gates on strategic Trek worlds.

And how is it beneficial to go to some part of the universe where ST isn't?

So far as we can tell from the ST shows, the only species that matter exist in the this galaxy, because they're all we've seen/heard/read about. Since it doesn't matter where you can run and hide, arguing the benefit of going someplace nobody cares to go is of no benefit. I don't care if you can fold space and end up on the other side of the universe. why would I?

As far as going across a galaxy fast. Lets just say we recruit some of the Travelers so we can go extra extra fast. Or we'll take Reg Barclay out to wherever the hell and get his brain hooked up to the ship so they can go extra extra fast.

Replicaters... Hmmm. Put the Tribbles in there and let them battle it out. lol No, seriously... how many ways have been tried and proven ineffective? It's highly debateable whether ST would need to fear these or not. Quite possibly they possess a technology that doesn't Exist on SG so they'd just make quick work of them, and hardly need to devote much manpower to get'er dun.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Replicators are easy to take care of - transporter stasis, then wipe the pattern buffer.

*grins* Or, better yet - let Worf have his Bat'leth... *chuckles* That'd be fun to watch!

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah but one, thats assuming your at a stand still which is rather unlikely, and two the wire requires a certain length at the surface to work.

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

? For one thing, thats assuming they havent cannabalized your transporter, and also, i hate that idiotic arguement, the only race that remotely has the capability to use that as a realistic weapon are the asguard in thors chariot.

To transport something takes time, and you wont have much of that.

If you could honestly do that... than why the hell was picard that incompetant to allow the borg to infest his ship in the movie rather than do waht you suggest?

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Yah but the replicators are immune to energy based weaponry, so phasers really have no effect. Replicators would board your ship, probly take over the core room and make their way up from that.

16. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

So what, we can disable gates. Its a structure like anything else.[/COLOR]

Neither can SG.

who said use phasers? there are all kinds of weapons in the Trek galaxy.

This debate has gotten increasingly boring. You mention really dumb stuff like going to a different galaxy, I guess at which point you sit there singing "you cant touch me!" as if teasing will lower moral. And then say you don't like the whole transporter technology being used as a weapon. Too bad. And all the gates you claim are spread all over, but in no episode do they claim they have them on the ST worlds so go ahead... spread your guys out on distant planets in distant galaxies if you want. I'd say UFP outranks the personnel at SG headquarters, so, thank you. We'll just take control of all that technology anyway.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

why would they be fighting in the first palce anyway? it seems infinitely mroe likely that they would ally with each other. When you think of it.

SG works by guerrila warfare. The first rule is using your own weaknesses as strengths.

We are small, but that means were agile, your not, it means we can hit wherever we like and you cant.

Anyways, we do have starships incase you forgot, and many of them are incredibly powerful, look at atlantis, its the size of A CITY.

Seriously how would you beat us? You dont even know which planets have stargates and which dont, and considering how much you hate inflicting unnessecary casualties you wont blow any of them up because doing so blows it up destroyign a significant chunk of the planet and any population away.

And you cant use transports as an en masse weapon because YOU HAVE NEVER DONE SO BEFORE, if you could, than why dont you?

18. alpinedigital Registered Senior Member

OMFG here we go.

1st, I know jack about Stargate, and it was you who brought up the shit about gate vs trek. Then you ask why they'd be fighting... :crazy:
    you're acting like a damned idiot. If ST don't know anything about SG then it works the same both ways. Unless you think we're supposed to base their strategy on what you and I know. :bugeye:

And you can stop with the whole 'trek won't because they never have before' shit. they never defended against SG before, so are you saying they won't do that either??

It was a good hypothetic question as to how SG would hold up against ST but seriously, give that shit a break. Or you can go start a thread and argue all you want but it won't be with me.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  19. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

If I recall correctly, the borg took over an entire deck before the crew became aware of what the threat was. By the time Picard was prepared the borg began cut power to nearly everything except engineering and forced the crew into direct combat.
    As for not using the transporter as a weapon itself, see red.

20. Nexarc Troper In Training Registered Senior Member

Why is there a debate of SG vs ST on a SW vs ST board?

Can't someone just start this on a new thread? Is this the reason why there are 800+ pages?:bugeye:

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, the floating wire works while on the move - it's designed to allow a sub to stay in comminique with it's base without showing itself

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7429957/description.html

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh, it doesn't really take time - once the transport sequence engages, the confinement array stops you from moving.

And it is used a handful of times, but the Borg hve shields which make them immune to transport

Also, against other sentient beings, the Federation prefers NOT to kill if they can help it.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I doubt they'd be immune to phasers, and even if they were, there's the http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/TR-116_rifle TR-116 rifle. Projectile weapon, high explosive armor piercing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.