Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, the Q have power outside of the Universe... for they have watched our Universe being born. To them, the Trek universe is young and somewhat interesting... they have watched multiple universes and multiple multiverses... there was an episode of TNG where Q helped Picard save his timeline from himself, thus allowing mankind to crawl out of the primordial ooze

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Q could just as easily snap his fingers and the Warp would cease to exist... unlike the Chaos Gods (Fernix anyone?) the Q don't need a mortal to do their bidding... they just go out and do it themselves

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i can't tell about the WH40K warp, but in trek, strong torpedo explosions mixed with unstable warp fields sometimes produce awckward space-time anomalies, like in "Yesterday's Enterprise" for example. also some forms of warp can cause space-time to colapse under some conditions (TNG and Voy).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I know what you are saying.

The warp in ST is a means of transportation.

The warp in 40k is an actual dimension. It bears nothing in common with ST warp other than the name. It is where all chaos and evil resides in the universe, kinda like a pandora's box. Plague, war, greed, and lust, those are the four chaos gods (those arent the names, just what they represant, the name is some wierd geeky thing).

But because the warp exists as an entirely different dimension the Q have no power over it, and even if they did the four chaos gods could easily overpower them in their own home ground. And if anything those chaos gods would corrupt the Q.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well the Q live in their own dimension too, the continuum if i'm not mistaking. but to calculate the outcome of a battle betwean gods i dare not. i think we might need a priest for that, not data analyst

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

fair enough.

To be honest, there is no clear cut figure for how much destructive power the weaponry has, typically people grade it based on damage to the surroundings.

And considering the damage is extraordinarily high even in comparison to the enterprise's phasers, we know that it must be a high figure. But there is no clear cut number for it.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well even if my asumptions on the trek graviton based shields are corect and they are largely resistant to laser based weapons, WH40K surely has enough numbers to cause serious mayham. not to mention that since dedicated planetary shielding is not common in UFP so using high power lasers to melt the planet's crust is still a viable way of destroying your enemies. in other words, you may not be able to slam the door, but you can still demolish the house.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I dunno... even without planetary shields, planetary defenses aren't something to be scoffed at, especially in the Sol system... Starbase 001 is pretty heavily armed and armored... over two dozen pulse phaser cannons, fifteen type-13 phaser arrays, and a myriad of torpedo launchers, with a compliment of a few thousand photon and quantum torpedoes. I mean... if you thought DS9 put out a lot of firepower, Starbase 001 and Federation HQ make it look like a childs popgun in comparison

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i'd excpect Sol (especially Earth) to be well defended after the Dominion war, but you can't expect all the systems to be defended like this, only the strategic ones (like Bajor, Antares, Sol). and even with these systems, pouring tens of thousands of ships into a single attack can still overwealm the defences. even in one shot one kill sence (which i extreamly unlikely) those numbers have enough time to cause heavy damage to civilian and industrial centers on the planet's surface.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Yes enough can obliterate a planetary surface, but as aha Enterprise D carries better torpedoes in the hundreds and it would take ALL of them to blow aaprt a 5km diameter hollow rock, your basically looking at Millions of torpedoes for an earth sized planet.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

we could discus this on multiple levels, but the shortest answer would be:

why do you think E-D has stronger torpedoes the Voyager or Defiant? they are far more advanced vessels after all and if we specify the episode "Pegasus" it is aperantly before DS9 Defiant and Voyager in choronological order, so during the Dominion War even the GCSs might have been refited with new torpedoes.

besides, there is at least one confirmed sighting of a E-D torpedo being stronger then what the destruction of the said asteroid would imply.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

15. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

you don't need a turbolaser to destroy the Q. They can be as easily killed as humans all you have to use are q weapons. as seen in Voyager. and if you get only one Q on your side he can bring you in a alternative dimension so you can obtain en use those weapons like a standard gun.

Or just manipulate them into a civil war. and let them do the fighting themselfs.

16. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

you don't need to blow up earth itself. in my opinion in advanced races like in SW and even Stargate. they would be able to give jupiter a jumpstar becoming a sun. bye bye solarsystem

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

when you are thinking of obliterating a planetary surface it doesn't always mean your weapons have to be enormously powerfull. If you take a planet like our own earth. you can target some keyarea's and let the planet do the rest.
    ofcourse when you are looking at a planet with no seismic activity your weapons will indeed need to be much more powerfull.

18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

you have a point here. any type of shielding has his upperlimit of damage it can take before running out of energy of just simply overload distroying itself.
    all trekkies think that because in TNG they laugh at lasers against their shields that they are laser resistant but they seem to forget (willingly or not) that they we're facing 1 ship from a less develloped race. If they would be hit by thousand of lasers simultaniously (as would be happening when facing SW and your WH40k) those shields would be dropping rather fastly.

19. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

8 million km. pffffffffff. even in our time we have sent sateliets way beyond that point. Hell our tiny planet is almost 150 million km from the sun.

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

even if the shields are as i say imune to conventional lasers, they would still fail because of exhaustion or generator failure or something similar, no question about that.

on a side note, i just saw the new ST movie........and i weep. ST has just beat SW in..... sorry SW does deserve to be insulted by comparing it with this contraption. ST has just turned into LOST :bawl: . i would not be surprised if "the island starts sinking even when the ocean is gone". i mean common , i 've seen plot devices, but this is too much. trek is turning into its grave....

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Basically. Im not even argueing for the whole of wh40k. Just the space marines.

They are a tiny race, and are genetically mutated or engineered humans that serve as mankinds elite protectors.

But they are the greatest warriors to grace either eniverse.

Eight feet tall, full adamentium power armor, standard, which can get hit by some of the heaviest weaponry imaginable and shrug it off. Super strength, super speed, they can survive in space, and any wound they get heals instantly. They are incredibly powerful, a single marine can take on dozens of enemies and come out on top.

They have a total of 39,000 warships, from small 2 km long frigates, to 8 km battlebarges.
    Each ships has dozens and maybe heven hundreds of weapons batteries.

And even if that werent enough to destroy a starbase. We would simply ram your starbase. First off our shields are just as powerful, so when both our shields fail, we win. The battlebarge will hit your hull full speed, and dozens of feet of adamentium forward armor would protect the battlebarge through the collision. But as we all know fed ships have very little in the way of armoring.

Im willing to bet that after a while, the collision will split the starbase in half.

Once that happens, we will just land space marines on earth and take over the planet in force.

One more gift of the space marine is immortality, sure they can be killed, but they will not die of natural causes, that means the average marine is around a century in age or older. And there are even some dreadnaughts (basically a heqavily wounded marine near death placed in a cybor-organic suit 24 feet high) are tens of thousands of years old. Im willing to bet any amount of money that the space marines are far more battlehardened, far more experianced, far more tactically adept than anything the feds can through at them.

And this isn't even including the millions of other ships of the other dozen or so various races of WH40k. Just the imperial guard has hundreds of thousands of ships, some even larger than the battle barges.

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Listen, you keep misquoting an episode.

Riker says "it'll take our full complement of photon torpedoes..." blah blah blah, in wanting to destroy an asteroid big enough for the Enterprise to fly into...indeed big enough to dwarf a Warbird. The asteroid was as large as a small planet.

23. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

We were talking about weapons and targeting distance. Not merely floating satellites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.