Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Think about the ratio kitt,

1 square meter of accuracy per 500 km.

If a trek ship is what 700 meters long?

700 times 500 equals 375,000 km.

Thats the point im trying to make, and that is meters squared, if you werent impressed by this number i could always cube it considering that these are three dimensional ships.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Lol naw...the "shortest" long range of a photon torpedo is 300K km. Class 6 torpedoes have a range of 8 million km (referenced in VOY). And enough photorps will obliterate a planetary surface (referenced in DS9).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

"Enough"

If you shoot enough of anything you can devestate a planets surface.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 150dpi Registered Member

Star Trek has Seven of Nine.

End of discussion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

1. I only said the word "enough" because it's not "one" and I did not have the reference handy as to how many it might be. However, it's not "a million". It'd probably take 20 or 30 well-placed high-yield photorps. Galaxy complement: 250.

2. There are some objects that, if shot from orbit, will not even reach a planet's surface.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Doesn't matter... how big is space... you have a 700 meter ship maneuvering in the INFINITE VASTNESS of space, able to engage your HUGE ships at over 8 MILLION K/M away...

You don't stand a snowballs chance in hell of hitting it.

10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

well for one i doub your standard sensors are that good and two, your torps nor ships cant go into and out of our warp. We dont warp into subspace we warp into a different dimension entirely.

So the whole 8 million km is kinda useless cause you cant shoot them when we are in warp.

11. kustomrides Registered Member

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yet how long does it take your ships to enter into Warp... and if I'm not mistaken every warp jump you take is a grave risk to the ship and the psykers on board.

Not to mention the simple fact that we can fire a torpedo into the warp void and cause god knows what kind of uncalcuable chaos

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

ex astris scientia has a good article on the battle of wolf359 and the ships that participated. this will give a good account on the starfleet composition in the early TNG era.

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I wonder if the thread can go 24 hours without a post.
    10.00 GMT..

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well a, there is a risk that the chaos gods might succeed in capturing our ships. But they aren't idiots, they wont be trying to capture any of our ships because we now share a common enemy.

So no more risk.

Im sorry but what would a torpedo do in the warp?

p.s. chaos is our middle name.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

What would a torpedo do in the warp.... I unno :shrug: I know in one of the WH40K books I read, the warp is supposed to be a "dangerous, volatile place, and entry there without a psykers protection means certain death" or something like that... I figure going around blowing shit up in there might piss something off

17. 150dpi Registered Member

+11111111

of course, they would argue that their Turbo Lasers can destroy Q with 10000000000000 x 10000000 petawatts of power...

18. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Nope.
    Not even 3 hours.
    Frigging OCD people..

19. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Explode like anywhere else?

LOL I think there were a couple times where the thread seemed to fizzle out, but there seems to be new life in it nowadays somehow...probably because the limit of any one thread is in reachable distance.

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

explode? and than what? Your shooting at chaos gods and demons.

If the torpedo goes off at all. Time can be manipulated in the warp. We'll just set it in a time bubble where time barely moves, so it'll blow in a few billion years.

Or theyll just let it go off. Not like it'll do any damage.

Thats like saying that if you blew up a torpedo in open space that it would destroy the universe. Does not work that way.

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Something being the gods of chaos, they make the Q piss their pants.

22. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Didn't say it would affect anything...a torpedo is a mindless machine, it will simply explode. It does not care about what dimension it might be in.

The Q are immortal and omnipotent. They have no reason to fear any other godlike beings. Further, there's no precedent to show that anything would happen in a battle between the Q Continuum and Chaos gods other than a complete stalemate. Omnipotence is omnipotence.

Unless of course Chaos gods can die by mortal hands...

23. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

That wasnt my point, the fact is that detonating a torpedo in random chaos voids will do about as much damage as detonating a torpedo in open space, nothing will happen.

The Q have control over their realm, that being the universe. The chaos warp is just a different realm (and im using realm just in place of dimension, universe, call it what you will). The Q have no power in the Warp and corrupted space. but the chaos gods have power over the universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.