Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

so they skipped the slipstream and transwarp and went directly to co-axial warp? clever move. co-axial on par with the best jump drives in SF, actually for all purposes it is a jump drive. so much for SW FTL advantage. ANY SW FTL advantage....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.i could have sworn it was you. if you were not i apologise. i'll try to croll back and find the original poster.

2.i agree that vacuum vaporisation would be much faster then atmospheric one, but even in only small quantities of matter vaporise during highly energetic processes (like high altitude nuclear blasts), the flash and the dispersed matter are visible and "larger" in scope then the SW EpV example. now if 30000 cubic meters of rock got turned into ionised gas in 1/10th of a second , and with the level of energy projection as sujested, there is going to be a very large flash. that superheated gas will expand rapidly, and the inner layers would pressure the outer layers resulting in one hell of a resonant shock wave. this is not some easy slow transition of solid to gas. in this case, the atoms/molecules are jipping like mad. but the movie asteroid just puffs away. no violent transition no nothing.

3. eh? 7.62 NATO equivalent of a flack gun. i would rate the SW guns more like:
    7.62 NATO-storm trooper rifle
    30mm cannons- X-Wing Tie Fighter laser
    75-90mm flack guns-ISD Flack Battery
    125mm guns-light Turbo lasers
    200+mm guns-medium Turbo lasers
    400+mm guns-heavy Turbo lasers

otherwise small arms would bring down star fighters and we don't want that worm in our apples don't we?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

You'd have to prove that the "physical" part of an energy weapon's output is enough to be fatal despite Borg armor. Meanwhile we'll stick with canon behaviour....2 or 3 drones bite the big one for the good of the collective.

I said I'll leave this alone. Kitt and Saquist deal with this over and over. There is no canon supporting this, even if you wish it. They've called you on it constantly, and you've yet to post a Lucasfilm reference.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Exactly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually that is a cannon behavior with Phasers. It's only hand phasers and phaser rifles that you see this behavior. In fact The crew of the Voyager was going to buy so high grade weapons form one scientist for the express purpose of flying in Borg space again. These weapons acted much like blaster rifles.

the ICS; Attack of the CLone is lucasfilm canon held as high ans novelizations of the movies. I have stated this repeatedly, just becuase you disagree does not change the facts.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

The Typical Point Defense Minigun is 7.62N the M134. That is the small end of the point defense spectrum.

An actual flack gun is more aking to the old style 40mm Bofors. But still a 20 inch gun is more than a thousand times as effective than a 40mm Bofors.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Problem. Unless they have the ship crossing the galaxy in 2 days at slow speed, the FTL advantage is still Star Wars. As for Phase Cannon old abandoned and useless by SW standards.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Only problem - that's overridden by high cannon (the movies you dumbfuck) which show a TANK having zero effect on the ground... and the fact that if those TL's were that powerful, there would be no threat from any kind of asteroid field... they'd blow the whole damn field away... yet, huh, wonder of wonders.. they didn't and they couldn't...

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm, no and no...

1) Co-Axial Warp allows you to actually exist within another time frame... essentially, while time passes normally for you, to those outside the field, your days seem like seconds. Co-Axial warp is also far, far faster than standard warp...

2) Star Wars never had, and never will have, even basic Phase Cannons... much less Compression Pulse Cannons, Pulse Phaser Cannons, or Quantum Pulse Cannons...

3... you're an idiot... you've proven it over and over with your useless drabble... yes, this is an ad hominem attack... I don't care.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And, actually, all that crossing the galaxy in 2 days proves is that the Star Wars galaxy is incredibly small... or that hyperdrive has absolutely zero tactical value

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ijDlbvAxw&feature=player_embedded

This is about what would happen... except we all know Vader can't force-choke everyone on the Enterprise and, even if he did, Data would be unaffected as he doesn't breath - I think the ending was nifty - To hell with our orders.

But, yeah, i think this is about an accurate representation of Trek Tech vs Wars Tech - I lost it when the TL bolts bounced off the shields LOL!

15. Badnews Registered Member

Lucas has not acknowledged any "canon material" outside of what he has included in his movies. What is considered canon for RPG and video games has nothing to do with the movies as far as he is concerned. You can google the quotes if you need them.

It has yet to stated or shown by a canon source that turbolaser cannons are capable of a 200 gigaton shot anywhere in the Star Wars universe outside of the ICS, which is not higher canon than the movies.

If Lucasfilm agrees with this number, please provide us with the canon source material that says so.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i don't think anything the ISDs have actually resembles any fast rate of fire miniguns or even the modern phalanx systems for that matter.
    as for how much more powerfull a 400mm would be when compared to a flack i am sure it won't go into the million numbers that you'd need to describe the the gigaton HTLs when compared to the the smaller guns used in EpV

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

no problem dude, co-ax warp is instant travel like the fold drives in dune. all you need is a nav system that knows where you want to go.

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

And Klingon disruptors. And it's a good bet that El Aurian weapons didn't work either. And the fact that Guinan, Q, Seven, Shelby, Tuvok and a host of other in-series characters state that the Borg adapt to all weapons. Indeed, even in First Contact itself (if I remember correctly), Picard even alludes to the fact that his tommy gun would have only worked once.

Kitt dealt with this.

19. 150dpi Registered Member

+1.

The Galaxy class is outdated compared to the newer classes the Federation built to fight against the Borg. The Star Destroyer wouldn't last 1 min against a Sovereign Class with a full compliment of Quantum torpedoes.

Krenim in the Star trek universe also uses a weapon thats in constant temporal flux. Effectively rendering any deflector shields useless.

20. kustomrides Registered Member

The question posed is not which fleets and strategies would win, but which universe.

Meaning, the entirety of the powers within each fictional universe.

In the Star Trek universe, there are gods that could turn Vader into a 5-inch cube and then crush it like a styrofoam cup. Deities who can make Vulcans cry. Technologies that allow time travel backward and forward. And I'm just talking about the original series. In TNG, gods who can move a ship billions of light years away with a snap of the finger ('the Q').

I mean come on. The entirety of the Star Wars universe could be dispatched toot sweet by a straightforward plan and access to Star Trek's time travel 'Portal' ... and the Empire would be crushed in the cradle before it took it's first breath. The ability to time travel means you have the ultimate in 20-20 hindsight. It doesn't matter how many mistakes you make: You can always go back in time and fix it.

But you wouldn't even need such a luxury. The Star Trek universe, as mentioned, has GODS. Have you SW fans ever watched the series? Gods, as in creatio ex nihilo, as in the ability to make Yoda into pea soup, or freeze him in time, or send him 10 million light years away into the depth of space.

Go ahead, Star Wars fans. Bring it. Where is your god now?

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Except you no longer have the chance to get run straight into a planet like in dune. In dune theres like a 10% chance you will hit a planet or sun or whatever and be destroyed.

22. 150dpi Registered Member

I agree. But just to make it an even playing ground for SW, with just technology alone, Star trek still dominates in every category.

And for the Star Wars camp who likes to use the Death Star vs a Borg Cube scenario, The borg cube can move, yes, unlike the death Star, the cube CAN move rather quickly, therefore it can manuver around to the far side of the death star. Borg cube is only stationary when it knows its oponents are inferior and will cause no harm. For example, In Star Trek Voyager: Scorpion, the borg clearly did maneuver away from the attacking Species 8472 and escaped.

Just like previously stated, the Star Trek Universe is not just the Federation or just one Borg Cube. Its all of its species combined. This also includes Q, Species 8472, Borg and even the space dwelling organisms like the Gomtuu from the Tin Man episode.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  23. kustomrides Registered Member

Fair enough. We will leave out the deities and super-beings (including the Q). On Species 8472, aka the Fluidians: "The weapons of eight bioships (referred to in Star Trek: Armada II as 'Species 8472 Battleships') can be linked with that of a larger ninth bioship of modified design (referred to in Star Trek: Armada II as a 'Species 8472 bio-frigate'); the collective weapon thus formed can destroy an entire planet in seconds." They are also a walking virus/nanite and communicate telepathically.

Then you have single forces, such as the Doomsday Machine, which will cut through any SW forces until a couple of brave captains, one of them suicidal, manages to blow it out from the inside. Or single entities, like the Crystalline Entity, which could basically ravage any planet or star fleet down it its bones. Until the Empire figures out the correct frequency, it'll be trouble.

Or what about just screwing up the SW universe's mining operations? Just start dropping some Horta down their mine shafts. That'll put a damper on production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.