Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

hmm most estemates i read about claim several million habitable worlds for Milky Way, including barely habitable (minimal atmosphere with traces of oxygen) tarraformable worlds. but i guess no one sais they could not terraform even lifeless rock, given the time.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

yes, but if the containement is there to confine the produced antimatter?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. true but i'm not a suposedly high tech flagship or something that can detect gravitational anomalies of minimum intensity light years away, am i? besides we've seen the falcon, it's dark gray over a cloud white ISD

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2.temper mon ami, since when do asteroids and stone age cultures use EW? besides, those what are you going to use those giawatts for? iluminating the galaxy? not to mention we have yet to see that level of destruction. if it was ONLY the EU at stake i'd give you the win in an instant. hell some, nut sith would destroy the universe on a whim, so there would be no contest. but all movies put together as primary source, things get more interesting

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

maybe, the nature of the phasic cloak sujests other wise , but then who knows?

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But you are asking people much like yourslef to spot and object like that. And sorry but canon holds you wrong. We know the Falcon is high visibility white it only apears dark grey when in shadow. Also the rear side of a ISD is about the same color when it is shadow so again....

We already explained the sensor problems.

When did you see the at-st miss on Endor? Not bloody often despite bad terrain, concealment and firng while moving. Also in the asteroid field every asteroid they shot at they hit, dead on. Jango missed a few shots but he was more like using his rapid fire cannons to just fill an area with laser bolts.

As for the damage, the only obgject we do not see a Turbolaser instantly destroy or vaporize are shielded and armored targets designed to repel that type of firepower.

As for the 12 billion gagawats thing, you have to power life support and gravity, structural integrity fields, shields, thrusters stabilizers, sensors, lights, the computer, containment fields, and a slew of other components. Now lets say the ship produces twice that amount of power through using warp, auxilliary ractors and impulse, how much do you think woudl still be sucked up by just the basics of keeping the ship functionng and crew alive? Then you have to divide your power between shields and weapons. Mainly beciase your hull is ridiculously vulnerable.

Now no one is saying ST is somehow inferior Sci fi, it;s just that when it comes to War, (something ST was never really meant for) that it loses, but in least in losing it keeps it's identity.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.this settles the canonicity of my claim:
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/dvd/ep5/avenger3.jpg
    you tell me that is not one big grey blur on the snow of the ISD. even if the mass of the ship did not change (which is absurd) the visual sensors should have picked that up miles away. they were not alone there.

2.haha, the STs hit some trees and foilage to little effect (proof of superior firepower) but little of any rebel or ewok dudes. in the astroid your claim is right on. every thing they fired on they hit. every single shot being in relative motionlessnes compared to the ISDs. the first moving object rammed their tower without oposition. legendary acuracy and rate of fire

. considering the size of the objects smacked my their LTLs or MTLs this does not say grait prazes for the Imp firepower eighter. i wonder where do all those TWs of energy go. probably the cooling system lol.

now for the viabilty of Fed ship design, well..meh. they are not as bad. even disabled ships are survivable and the hulls are no weaker then anything we've seen in SF since the flight of the navigator.

3. i DO say ST is inferior SF when compared to SW. well most of SW is better SF then most of ST (epVI and ep I) being exceptions in SW and some TNG and DS9 episodes for ST. but all i nall ST suffers from all the flaws a TV production suffers.
    for war purposes,as i stated before, i think that numbers not tech can make SW win. and i'm sorry to say i still did not finish programing the simulator for GCS VS ISD engagement to quantify this claim as in how many SW is needed to slam some ST. too much obligation at work and too many guns on the ISDs to safely script it without crushing the BC. even the main arrays on hte GCS got me 2 weeks work alone. not to mention they are still 2 beams away from the rapid fire mode ...

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I think an interesting idea would be to have a Sovereign class starship fire a continued beam at a single point on an ISD's shield grid and see how long their shields last

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Provided you spent any time looking at your fellow ships instead of scanning the asteroid field like Lord Vader told you too. Sorry, but even in ST people just don't go scanning things randomly unless they have a reason.

Actually they hit many Ewok and Ewok catapults. In fact I can only think of a few trees they hit mean while the vehicle grade blaster was picking off Ewok who are only a meter high.

In ESB the rock that hit the tower EXPLODED on the surface of the armor. The shlight downward angle of the moving vessel and the way it was moving faster than the SSD in the background does allow for the tower to intact after impact. The rest of SW canon supports as it was Captain Needa's hologram that faded out. Later Captain Needa was seen chasing the Millenium Falcon in a PRISTINE Avenger.

In RotJ we have explained time and again why the A-wing got through. Thinking this would happen under anything but the similiar circumstances is just sheer idiocy.

As for the firepower, remember you never see the captial ship weapons fail to complete vaporize of destroy anything not shielded that they have shot at.

Are you kidding, with the exception of the Intrepid and Defiant class anything bigger than a shuttle in the federation could not survive constant gravity. Hell the GCS would sag if not for her structural intergrity field.

3. i DO say ST is inferior SF when compared to SW. well most of SW is better SF then most of ST (epVI and ep I) being exceptions in SW and some TNG and DS9 episodes for ST. but all i nall ST suffers from all the flaws a TV production suffers.
    for war purposes,as i stated before, i think that numbers not tech can make SW win. and i'm sorry to say i still did not finish programing the simulator for GCS VS ISD engagement to quantify this claim as in how many SW is needed to slam some ST. too much obligation at work and too many guns on the ISDs to safely script it without crushing the BC. even the main arrays on hte GCS got me 2 weeks work alone. not to mention they are still 2 beams away from the rapid fire mode ...[/QUOTE]

Well for your equation you do have to program in the fact that the ISD is a Carrier, 72 TIE, 12 Tie Bombers, 12 Assault Shuttles, 6 Lambda Shuttles, and 3 Strike Cruisers are part of her compliment. While these vessels are more fragile than the ISD they are heavily armed by Fed standards so would be a serious threat if ignored.

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Considering a Soverian classes warp drive is only 120% to 150% of a Galaxy Classes and the pahsers maybe 50% more efficient......The Sovereign would be dead in the water long before the Star Wars shield was even taken below 95% intact.

This is a mismatch here. SW vessels take repeated shots from 200 gigiaton weapons before their shields buckle and even then they take repeated scores before the vessel is even moderately wounded. The best weapon is ST aresenal 128 megaton medium range torpedo only usable by some vessels.

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

No im 99% sure that nacelles generate tremendous amounts of radiation and that is why they are kept away from crew compartments.

Kitt, transphasic torpedos don't count because they haven't been invented yet.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

the fact is kitt, that i can pump dozens probably hundreds of times as much power to my weapons and shields than you can no matter how upgraded your ship is solely for the fact that my ships are 6 to 8 times your ship's size and demand a power reactor 6 to eight time as high an output as you have, and than probably even more considering the nature of it's construction.

Phasers were made to be as efficient as they can be, that means lowering their power expenditures as much as possible while not sacrificing destructive ability as much as possible, so you can add more power. That basically means that your own weapons are limited solely by the fact you cannot generate more power. I can pump as much energy as i want into my weapons and your phasers could be ten times more efficient than my lascannons, but when i can put twenty times more power into my lascannons i guess it really doesnt make a difference does it?

18. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Meh...I still notice after my little inactivity that the canon still appears to be a point of contention. I'll leave Guri point as this: she exists as a designed AI in "Shadows of the Empire". Whoever accepts it at whatever level, I won't argue.

Data was not designed to want to become human. He was merely designed to mimic humanoids to make "us" comfortable with him. If I recall correctly this has been stated on air. "Desire" was not part of his initial parameters. Neither was ambition, rebellion for a greater good, the concept of a greater good, musical and artistic interests...or even the concept of hobbies. These were not part of Noonien Soong's initial design.

Even Soong himself has stated on air that Data has "far exceeded that which even he (Soong) dreamed of"

While Soong has been the only human successful in positronic AI, the Feds have done exactly the same thing as the Warsies...Voyager's new gel packs have enabled some rudimentary intelligence to occur for the ship - just as with R2 - largely by accident due to environmental factors. Similarly with the Fed holographic technology, when left to run way beyond parameters, they developed sentience (self awareness and intelligence) - Holographic Doctor, Tom Paris' holodeck town, the Kazon holodeck battle characters.

Further, "many" droid brains are not shown to be capable of "spontaneously" becoming AI. R2D2 is the ONLY one that it happened to, and a similar set of extraordinary circumstances are unlikely to happen to any other R2 units (battle droids, C3s etc have not shown any type of AI whatsoever).

19. Saquist Banned Banned

Very Good Enterprise D....
    That was entirely accurate.

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

for some reason i keep misreading your name as saddist or satanist.

21. Saquist Banned Banned

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

UGH, stop thinking that larger is better!

ANOTHER example: The Class 7 warp core used on the Galaxy Class starship is HUGE... yet the Class 8 core on the Defiant produces MORE power... and the class 9 core of the Sovereign, while SMALLER than the Class 7 core, produces nearly 80% more power!

Size is unimportant... it's like saying a super-massive black hole is any more dangerous than a quantum singularity - run into either one, and you're screwed

23. draqon Banned Banned

Yo how long do I have to wait until the harassment of yet to be released new Star Trek movie?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.