Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If tractors in SW are so good, why didn't the SD's use em in the asteroid field to change the path of incoming asteroids...

The Ent-D used her tractor beam to deflect a planetary fragment once... I'll have to see if I can find a video of the episode on youtube

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

By "visual range" I meant the audience can see both ships on the screen sitting more or less right next to each other, and look like they're only a few tens of km apart.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

i agree on the asteroid field part. indeed they could have used them, maybe their gunners could use the practice or for the sport of it all

as for pulling in a battleship. i find it more than logic to keep them as far as possible don't ya think. why would you be pulling a ship that is as strong as your own?:bugeye: hell even if a isd was up against a soverign it would not use his tractorbeams.
    as for the ds that's someting entirely different. if nothing else would work they could eventually link their tractorbeams to eachother and pull the sovering to crash on the surfice. it can take that beating even without its shields. as seen on screen when the ssd crashed into it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I still contend that going to warp would break a SW tractor beam clear off it's mountings

8. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

could be

, i've never seen a vessel break out of a tractorbeam, so i really don't know.:shrug: but you have to consider that maybe it could mean you are taking a lot of power to get in warp that your shield may fail. leaving your ship vunarable for a sec; and because ST relies more on shields than on hulls it would be sufficient to blow up your ship.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I dunno... in Star Wars it appears as though tractors pull more on shields than on the actual ship... which kinda makes sense...

Simply drop the shields for a tenth of a second and you'd break free long enough to hit warp and *bamf* you're gone?

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

hmm, there was this episode where someone was stealing military wrackage from an old scrap yard. when the found the ship performing the act it apeared to be a warship of unknown configuration but had the E-Ds tactical capability. they fired a warning shot at it. if i recall corectly both ships were in different frames. the shot ignited some unstable cargo the ship had and it was destroyed. i'll see if i can find the title of the episode or a clip of it. stll i doubt it was any signifacnt distance.

more evidence we get from worf stating that it would take several seconds for their weapons to optain a lock on Soren's probe (FTL) in order to destroy it. since even in the case of tyniest stars would have been milions or hundreds of thousands of kilometers and torpedoes can't get to warp on their own, it means phasers would be usedas well.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

my mistake, that ship was in the same frame with E-D at least once before they fired at it. btw the episode was Unification 1.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, remember - by this point the E-D is an aging ship

13. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah and this is all coming from the guy that doesnt know shit about 40k unless its in DW2 or we told him. And lascannons arent in DW2.

The cover saves arent if the cannons pierce the tree, its if they can see through the tree and anyways, these weapons blow up the first thing they hit, admittedly if they hit a tree the tree has a chance of exploding and the laser wont reach the target because it alreayd blew something up.

14. draqon Banned Banned

Star Trek rulez!!!!!

if the trolls of Star Wars will not attack, I am sure the poll will get an increase for Star Trek and will subdue the evil Empire.

15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

im sorry kitt, but ive gotta say Nasor sure sounds like he knows a lot more abotu what you are talking about than you do.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay, even better

You just stated that, by the book, your guys can't see/sense/detect ARMORED FUCKING MARINES thru indiginous plant life... GOOD JOB, you just took that one up the ass... just all up in the ass...

Roll will save against failure...

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Of course you'd say that - you don't like me because I'm not willing to give you anything without some form of proof, which you have yet to provide

All you've done is go around in circles stating that against WH40K defenses, WH40K weapons are super-powerful...

Blowing up a planet is great... my starships can super-nova your fucking star and obliterate the entire solar system using a single, no-nonsense torpedo. We can induce subspace rifts that suck anything they touch into various, multiple dimensions. We can fly into, and back out of, a black hole... and not flinch.

Not to mention we don't need our ships to be KILOMETERS in size to do it.

Bigger =/= Better... Caps Lock =/= Cruise Control for Cool... Drugs =/= Harmless Recreational Pastime... WH40K =/= Mighty Crusher of the Federation.

Sorry.

Good day

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

They probably did. Remeber this was an exceptional dense asteroid belt with asteroid that comprised of many of the same materials of the ships armor. In fact that field was so large and so dense that it would have had more material in it than the first four planets in our solar system combined.

Well i do know of an incident where and impromtu repulsor beam by Wesley crusher pushed the Enterprise a dew hundred kilometers to give Data time to realign the isolinear chips.

Though the Naked Now does more to damage the credibility of the engineering program of Star Fleet than anything else. That first chief engieer was useless and always saying it couldn't be done or it would take weeks. Hell when Wesley made the comment of the repulsor she said it was impossible it would take weeks to lay out the circuits. Meanwhile Drunk Wesley did it in 20 seconds!

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Only Soren could detonate stars and that knowledge was lost with him.

The subspace rift is an accidental and unintentioanl side eefect of subspace weapons.

As for the Black hole incident with Voyager, she did not fly into the black hole, but rather a temporal anomaly just outside the black holes event horizon. Even then they had to use the shuttle to make a pathway out.

Stop making shit up Kitt. Star Trek cannot reliably do any of these things. They were all accidents or the unique tech of single individual.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The entire crew was also infected with a virus that (if I'm not mistaken) removed ALL of the crews inhibitions... meaning rational thought went out the window

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Negative - they were all accidents perhaps, but well recorded "accidents" that can easily be re-created thanks to a command staff that actually takes note of what is happening

And NONE of that was "unique to an individual"... Soran wasn't that smart... else he wouldn't be working with Klingons would he

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

What? When have the federation ever destroyed a star, or used subspace rifts as weapons with any regularity?

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it always amuses me that trek supporters like to claim that the federation has all these super-weapons, but we never actually see the federation use any of them when they're getting their ass kicked and are under immanent threat of defeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.