Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Meh, I have no idea of the stated ranges: but I do know that current talk for space-based lasers (for some unspecified project) is looking at engagement ranges of around 3 - 4 light seconds, mimimum.
    Hey, maybe ST and BFG are outdated now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I don't think I've ever seen a ST episode where phasers were fired at a target that appeared to be more than a few tens or maybe hundreds of km away at most. Most of the ships are on the order of 500 meters long. You probably wouldn't be able to even see something that size from even 1000 km away - or if you could, it would probably just look like a speck of light. If 40K weapon batteries have a range of 15k km, that would appear to give them a much, much longer range than trek phasers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nasor Valued Senior Member

All this talk about Fed ships being immune to lasers is crap. In the Next Generation episode "suddenly human" the Enterprise was seriously threatened by a Talarian ship armed with lasers, and Geordi had to boost power to the shields to try to protect the ship. Clearly Federation ships ARE vulnerable to lasers.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I don't recall this episode but if is true what you say than 700pages of this theath are bs hehehe bye bye ST

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Okay, let's review where we stand so far:

1. 40K has about 15 million ships that are 3-8 km long, and several times that number of ships that are "only" about .75-2 km long. ST has hundreds of ships at most, all under 1 km.

2. 40K beam weapons have a range of 15k km, while Fed beam weapons have a range of hundreds to thousands of km at most (until someone gives an example of a fed ship firing at a target from beyond visual range I'll assume this is true. If you have counter-examples, please give them).

3. 40K ships have instant communication across the galaxy, Federation ships don't (Voyager was unable to communicate with the Federation when it ended up on the wrong side of the galaxy).

4. 40K ships can cross the galaxy in a reasonable amount of time, federation ships can't (which was the entire point of the Voyager tv show...)

hmm, tough call would win there...

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

1)in DS9 there was a massive battle. i think between 200 and 500 feds ships.(from battleships to shuttles). lets say that it was half the feds ships. making it 1000 feds. the enemy had less ships but they launched a full attack so it fair to say they use 80%. lets exasirate and give them 1000ships as well. then klingon's come in to save the day. they are reinforcements so lets say only 10%

so for ST ships that are battle worthy feds 1000
    enemy 1000
    klingon 1000
    borg 1000000
    rest 15000????
    i assume there are about 4 to 5million battle ready ships at max in st ( that is from the smallest shuttle to the biggest battleship.)

i'm not sure how much battleready vessels there are in SW but at least a few times that number.

2) i agree; in most battlescenes the ships are pretty close. hell they would be able to see their numbers .... their chassisnumbers

3)in SW they are able to communicate across the galaxy in real time.

4)In sw they can travel from one side to another in mather of hours.
    something Voyager needed years (if not decenia) for.

it seems 40k vs SW would be a more even battle

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  10. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Im sorry im getting my thousands and millions mixed up, thanks.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I think that SW would get obliterated by 40k.

1.) SW is much, much more reliant on ground forces than ST is.
    2.) even then their ground forces arent very quality oriented
    3.) A space marine is the undisputed master of ground combat.

Once the space marines make landfall there is in all practicality nothing that SW has that could possibly fight them off.
    The most powerful land based weapons system SW has is the turbolasers on an AT-AT. And even then, the lascannnons would rip them to pieces.

The resulting slaughter would be utterly hilarious to watch.

Laser bolts pinging off of the space marine's armor as thousands of bolts tear through the ranks of the stormtroopers whom fall before the onslaught. Devastator squads setup lascannons and heavy bolters and obliterate infantry and rip apart vehicles. Assault squads flying over and into the ranks of their enemies using their chainswords and butcher the stormtroopers.

Terminators letting loose witht heir assault cannons and cyclone missile launcher mowing down enemy infantry, while assault terminators teleport into the middle of the battle and pound the stormtroopers into the dirt.

And even the death star is far outmatched and outnumbered. Even the necrons have built planet sized battleships that could annihalate it.

I think SW would get utterly slaughtered.

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Who cares about shuttles? I'm talking about their "large" starships. Most 40k ships carry dozens or hundreds of shuttle-sized fighters. How many capital starships do they have? Call it anything 300 m or larger.
    You just said it was 200-500 total. If half were fed ships, that would be 100-250 fed ships. Did you add an extra zero?

Edit: In any case, let's say for the sake of argument that there are 1000 Fed ships. Okay, now it's 1000 vs. 15 million instead of 50 vs. 15 million. Does anyone really think that's going to help?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

no no you get me wrong i was talking about 200-500 fed ships that where in that specific battle and i assumed they would have send about 50% of there total fleet so 500 x 2 = 1000 and that is shuttles counted allso.
    shuttles can be counted as fighters. i saw shuttles do more damage than capital ships. i assume the're about 500 +300m ships UTP and about a million borg cubes.

i really don't know anything about 40k so i can't really debate in a 40k vs SW.

sw vs st is simple SW will prevale. so in your appinion 40k easily wins from SW then they would just anihalate ST

if they would take out those hilarious emotionchips out of those tinbuckets in SW they would be a fine adition to SW

at this moment i'm just waiting what kitt and antaran have to say about your "suddenly human" claim

14. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

The whole reason that 40k would beat SW is SW is not quality but quantity oriented. A star destroyer may be 1 km long with at most 60 turbo laser banks. But a battlebarge is 6-8 kilometers with hundreds of lascannon banks and far more armor than an ISD.

And the grand cruisers of the imperial guard are even slightly better than that.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... problem. It's not that the Feds think is possible... it's that is PHYSICALLY possible via PHYSICS...

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Again, that's assuming that your turrets could track the vastly faster and more agile Enterprise...

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

yes, there is...

In other words (and I'll make this SIMPLE for you) if you pump too much energy into it, a PHOTON ceases to be a PHOTON... and thus, it is no longer a LASER CANNON as a LASER is PHOTON based...

And thus, your focusing medium EXPLODES/MELTS/DISINTEGRATES under the strain...

Pwnt. Hardcore.

Now, we can argue semantics and make ad hominem attacks, or we can move on and play on the facts...

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Upon further review, the episode that I listed is somewhat ambiguous. They say that the ship is armed with x-ray lasers and a variety of other weapons, but when Gordi increases power to the shields it's not clear what weapons they're actually worried about, so it might be one of the ship's other types.

In any case, the point stands that it's retarded to assume that lasers can't be powerful just because the federation doesn't know how to build powerful lasers.

And I can't believe that kitt and antaran were both trying to claim that there's a theoretical upper limit to laser power.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Why wouldn't they be able to *grins* you haven't provided anything to the contrary... and it IS matter, is it not?

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Problem Vasago... Trek ships can break tractor beam locks by inverting their own tractor beam...

Or, more simply - rip the damned emitter off of the DS... so yeah, good luck with that.

Considering Trek shields are GRAVITON based, and tractor-beams are GRAVITON based... I doubt Wars Tractors would work.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Quite often, especially in TNG and Voyager. In TNG, we've seen phasers have an OPTIMAL range of almost 50,000 km... and an effective range at least 5 times that...

Torpedoes have no real "limit" to their range, but are most effective at closer ranges where it is very difficult to avoid them.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh, what? I just watched the entire episode on YouTube... they didn't even FIRE on the Enterprise... WTF are you going on about?

23. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Oh, for f*ck's sake. I have taken university classes that dealt with optics and quantum physics. Have you? Because you appear to be simply quoting some website that you don't even really understand.

Photons have to interact with matter in order to undergo pair production. A laser beam will not just magically turn into a particle beam as it travels through space.

http://teachers.web.cern.ch/teachers/archiv/HST2002/Bubblech/mbitu/electron-positron.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.