Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

a few questions Kitt. the current photon torpedo's have a max range of 4 000 000 km???? what the hell kinda range is that in space. just do a micro-jump
    so torpedo's are quit useless unless used in close combat.

so are quantum and transpheric torps use the same propulsion system ??? hope not.
    i know transtorps slide in and out our demention but what is there actuall range??? i hope not 4 000 000km. because then you can only use them in close combat.

hey what's neat though is that if they can make torps go in and out demensions they would be able to take that technology and use it for their ship. now that would be a excellent advantage.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

if set up, those shields could only protect fixed insalations. their use in the field would be limited. as for vehicles, well we know shuttles and runabouts are shielded. but untill the abhorent Argo, we have not seen much of ground vehicles in ST. and that dune bugy was a lol.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. they were at combat rediness if i recall. that would mean shields up and weapons charged/loaded. still at maximum warp, too much power would be used for the FTL, limiting the use of some high output systems, such as the fabled regenerative shielding. the thing is, i don't really know squat about those shields.

2. true they were surprised. but even if they were not, i don't think a single vesel would have lasted long against the Scimitar, even the Sovereign. since most of the fight was based on firing blind, you'd need more platforms to form impact points.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it is not really that impressive i know (the range). but then again weapons in science fiction rarely are. take all the SF movies you've ever sean. even the DSs in SW were well within this range when they fired the superlaser. the thing is, greater range would not help with most beams or warheads. no beam can travel faster the c, so a range beyond 300000km is not practical, since the target will have plenty of time to detect it and avoid it. this goes duble for sublight warheads. it would take them an eternity to reach their targets with their pathetic <0.5c engines.

now compared to this data even the 4 milion km makes no sence, unless that is the range of the torpedo when in warp. otherwise it would be of little use, since they are not all that fast in sublight (slightly slower then turbolaser bolts on the average actually)

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

As I said, regenerative shields can't be used at warp due to power requirements... and most fighting isn't done in warp, especially in a Sovereign class, because it's so damn fast

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2) From what I've seen... WH has none. And SW has nothing comprable to be honest.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

They already have that - Phase Cloaks... it was part of the Pegasus project.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Regenerative shields basicly consist of primary and secondary shield generators, with the secondaries on standby ready to take over the moment main shield integrity drops below a certain threshold - this allows them to recharge without being pounded on.

There was a nebula class starship that first tried something like this by dropping their shields for a minute (while under fire) to allow them to recharge from near-exhausted to almost-full integrity. Was kinda cool

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Remember, and I can't believe I'm saying this - Scott was right... it is a warp sustainer engine. If the torpedo is fired from a ship going warp 9, that torpedo is going warp 9

If Warp 1, it'll go warp 1.

I do believe, however, modern torpedo tubes can push the torpedo up to Warp 1 while the ship is at sublight.

12. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

torps are no way near 0.5c that like 150 000km/s right. In the fight between the scimitar and the Ent-e it took more than a sec for the ent-e torps to arrive at the scimitar. and i doubt that they where 150 000km's apart.

as for 4 000 000km range depends on what your target is. Let's say for instance your torps have a range of 100 000 000km. You are at warp 8 or 9. once you at mars ( like 88 000 000km from earth ) you fire your torps and drop out of warp. Now your torps fly at warp 8 or 9. taking out all batllestations and major city's on earth before they even knew what hit them.

as for distance of the deathstar superlaser; you can't use alderan as a measure because they where a lot farther away when they where preparing to shoot at the rebelbase. It took x-wings several minutes to get to the deathstar. how fast does a x-wing fly ???? multiply that with the time they took to get there and it wil be a lot more than 4 000 000km

13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

then your ships would be unvincable except for transtorps.
    If you have one locked torp on your tail you just jump out of dimention milisecs before impact re-apear and take torp out. If there are a lot following your you lead them towards a celestrial body. before impact you "phase out" letting the torps hit the celestrial body.
    It would be awesome to see that kind of action on screen

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.i did not mean that the torpedoes were 0.5c fast. i stated 0.5 as a some sort of uper limit for relativistic missiles or warheads like mass drivers maybe. torpedoes are way slower. the fastest STL torpedo i've seen is just a bit slower then a turbo laser bolt and the most are half as that.
    2.but they had to go around the gass giant, live the atmoshere, break orbit... wha ever the distance was it was more in the scale of 100s of thousands of km then milions.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

now if only the moronic federation counsil did not consider them ilegal in violation with the treaty they have with the Romulans. however maybe in the future, when the Romulans will enter the federation, we will see them used in action

16. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

1) then torps would really be useless against a ISD. they have a lot of TL's. so they would never make it to there target. unless Trekkies start claiming that torps have shields. Hell why even use them phasers should be able to destroy them to. but phasers are fully automated maybe torps have a jamming device so phasers can't lock on to them. it would logical don't you think. but that's just my opinion offcourse.

2) I get your point, but the problem here is that no-one mentioned how far the range of the deathstar really is. Princess Leia had to see her planet closeby before destruction. and as for the rebelbase there where other celestrial body in it's path. I haven't the slightest clue on how far the DS is lethal when she has a clear shot. alhough you are right about de distance be less than 4 000 000km that doesn't really proof that that is her limit

17. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

agreed

the federation is just to naive. If i where to send a ship to boldly go where no man has gone before that ship would be pimp'd with all i got. treaty or no treaty. I'm sending them in unknown terretory ffs. they would allthough on a peacefull mission be armed with the best and heaviest weapon that are avalable and the best defence there is.
    Offcourse in respect of other raceses you don't use them unless you have to. btw if it excists be shure others will use it against you. as seen on screen the use of subspace weapons.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

a silly question i know but when they talk in ST of the quadrants does this mean our milkyway or space as we know it at this moment ??? are they able to go to let's say Andromeda ?? I really like ST but didn't see every single episode. I don't consider myself a Warsie either for that matter. I just prefer it. FireFly / Serenity is my favorite lol

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Only one problem - we have no idea how fast an x-wing flies... what we DO have, though...

An on screen, to-scale representation of the distance from the DS to Alderaan, using a scale model of both. We know the exact size of the DS, we know the approx size of alderran, so we can safely extrapolate the distance via those numbers.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Only one problem - it was highly unstable (hence being trapped in an asteroid) and it is also HIGHLY illegal...

Plus, PHASERs would still have a partial effect if you could rotate the nutation the right way

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Trek torps move at high warp... even if launched at impulse, the warp sustainer can get the torpedo up to approx warp 0.75... and I believe most modern launchers can accelerate the torpedo up to warp 1 at least *shrugs*

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. i honestly don't know. phasers can be fired manualy too, yet i have never seen a torpedo destroyed by anything else but another torpedo. it would mean they are eighter shielded, or/and the warp sustainer once active acts as a beam defence. since warp fields distrort space time it would in effect indirectly "shield" the torpedo from incomming fire, unless there is another warp filed to cancel it.

2. i know, but if had a firing range of 1000000 km it would not need that long to deploy for firing position. they could have shot the moon from above it's orbital plane around the gass giant. the time they orbited around it indicates much more shorter range, for eighter targeting or firing range.

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the quadrants devide the Milky Way into for pizza slices. the largest piece of the UFP is in the alpha slice, the smaller is in beta. Sol is on the border betwean aplha and beta. as to going to Andromeda, they had done it once in the first season, but with the help of one geek and one odd alien.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.