Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

but don't they have something alike Tores' orbital skydiving suit? that thing seamed to survive atmospheric re-entry with no more volatile effects then a cracked rib or so.

Ouster and Hegemony marines were fully deployable and combat ready in their combat armour. furthermore Hegemony marine armor could withstand shaped plasma charges, hand held CPBs and EM-based attacks (lasers) with enough energy output to melt sand into liquid, plus the ability the stop incoming kinetic projectiles, sharpnel and solid object colisions by changing its elastical properties. even this armour was absolite by the times of Pax some 274 years later.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Ill be honest, no where in the warhammer 40,000 universe do they say that it is a psionic shield. I can garuntee you 99.99% that there is no official record of what kind of shield is used.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

They don't need to say it - we can safely assume that from the fact that the Eldar are powerful Psionic beings... it would be an easy feat for them to form a shield of psionic energy to deflect incoming attacks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Especially the Dark Eldar, for example

Makes even more sense when you figure A) They have other, powerful psionic abilities, B) They need to move quickly and C) There is no indication of heavy armor, nor powered armor of any sort, making a heavy shield generator (which would recoil with each hit due to the kinetic forces) impractical at best.

Safe to assume Psionic as a result, no?

@ Antaran - remember, Phasers are not Lasers... they use a completely different particle effect to rend their damage

Absolute worst case scenario - use transporters, wipe the pattern buffer

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Eldar dont use personal shields, they just have crappy armor end of story, they count on agility and weapons skills, not much else.

They dont use any sort of shielded armor for normal infantry.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I dunno, I know in the games they used some form of shielding, and it wasn't refractive or conversion shielding...

In the official rules, Void, Refractive, and Conversion shields are mentioned...

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Reading thru this... the ONLY thing the Space Marines have that seems like it would pose much of a threat would be plasma weapons... melta weapons would have no effect whatsoever (flying beside a stars core, as shown in TNG, DS9, and VOY, anyone?), LasCannons... we've been there. Flamers, again - heat is laughable... assault cannons rely entirely on kinetic energy, so MAYBE...

That leaves us with Force Weapons, Plasma Weapons, and Bolters... bolters I doubt would penetrate federation shielding effectively and I dont' know how well force weapons would work... but plasma weapons... maybe.

Though... I have found one giant flaw that would allow Star Trek to quickly, decisively, and unequivocally destroy the Imperium of Man once and for all:

Simply destroy the Emperor, and everything would fall apart

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Additionally, looking thru the Imperial Navy... all I can say is "eh".

They follow the Star Wars Doctrine - bigger = better. Pack as much shielding and as many guns as you possibly can onto the boat and who cares if it can move...

I reckon you'd be lucky to SPOT the Defiant coming in to attack, much less maneuver to HIT it...

Though, a hit from an Energy lance or a Nova Cannon would be... interesting 0o'

But, again... good luck hitting a Federation Starship with those... primitive... weapons.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  10. Saquist Banned Banned

The altitude doesn't matter with reentry. Only the velocity.
    She simply wasn't traveling fast enough to build that much friction.

11. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well for starter. Lets remember that the federation is 700 years from now, warhammer 40,000 is 40,000 years So please dont call them primitive because they are 39,300 years superior to anything you guys can pull up.

And did you think for one second that there is a reason why we dont use phasers and phase rifles? Maybe because oh i dont know, suck.

The Defiant? dude the sensors on any imperial ship can detect the opening of a warp tear a few feet across several light years away, im pretty damn sure they could see the defiant coming.

Also, lascannons..... dude we never decided that they were weak, you decided it, anyways, lets just use the mathmatic property of transition

If we figured out that for star trek they need the firepower of a dreadnaught ship's phasers to pierce power armor, assuming it will.
    And we know that the same phaser takes maybe a minute to tear through the shields of an equivalent ship.
    And that a lascannon can tear through power armor without breaking a sweat.

We know that a lascannon must eb more powerful than a dreadnaught's phaser AND it can tear through the shields of a dreadnaught in maybe a minute or less.

And i am referring to the hand held lascannon, not the epic sized ones you will be facing off against.

12. EdgeHead Registered Member

Star Trek ALL THE WAY!

Only thing I ever liked about Star Wars was when Jabba forced Leia onto his body, their mouths inches a part and tells her that she will soon appreciate him.

I know I'm sick, but it was HOT!

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yer pissing me off again by trying to put words in my mouth... don't do it or I'll rip you up like I did scott... and he STILL won't even attempt to rebuke anything I say with what RESEMBLES logic

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

728...729...730.. When are we going to get to 800 ?

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

This is a classic example of how the Star Trek, Star wars or any SF Fantasy genre type media is strictly seen as for fucking nerds only nowadays.

Hijacked by friking geek losers.

16. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

in your own words, "masturbate about it in another thread"

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

18. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I swear to G-d i will kill you if you bring the power rangers into this

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

LOL, that would be... ugly. Every single power ranger there ever was VS Chewbacca 0o' Dayum.

20. Saquist Banned Banned

Did any of you here anything? Like a ...knat or something?

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

I heard a crazy S.O.B. moron spouting nonesense, but than again, it sounded like the wind.

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

no doubt. eighter way i'd expect other well developed civilisations to have similar capability.

on the issue of +years for developement. Kitt is right. just because something is set 1000000 years in the future OR past does not mean it is by default more or less developed. just take a look at our own history. the Egyptians had 2000 years if civilisation to develop and yet they got destroyed by wandering barbarians. ancient China and Rome had reached administrative and technological developents near 1-2 century AD that the world would not see again until well into rennesance, more then 10 centuries later.

on the laser VS fed.shields. the navigational deflectors (a standard part of the ST warp drive) are designed to protect from "infinitly" blue-shifted photons and other "accelerated" cosmic rays. this makes any EM only based weapon (LASER or MASER) almost useless against them. they are vulnerable to some exotic particles though and long exposures to ionised particles.

and Kitt, CPBs stands for Charged Particle Beams, in other words any particle beam.

23. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

728.. Do I hear a 730 in the offing!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.