Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i allready said it "Preemptive strike" STTNG season VII

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i have FC on tape and there is a good intenet site out there with a frame by frame analsys of the scene. most ships there are Akiras. there are some Sabers and only few Steamruners and Norways. after FC these ships are allmost nowhere to be found while excelsiors and mirandas are aboundant. seams like SF lost fate in their newer designs to do thier dirty work. except for the Akiras. Akiras seam to be the new CA workhorse.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

Iowa, as part of the Reserve Fleet, was berthed at the Naval Education and Training Center in Newport, R.I., from 24 September 1998 to 8 March 2001 when she began her journey, under tow, to San Francisco. She arrived at Suisan Bay, San Francisco, on 21 April 2001 and is part of the Reserve Fleet there.

taken from:
    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/battleships/iowa/bb61-ia.html

i guess by decomissioned they did not mean drydocked or mothballed or scraped. actually that ship was fully functional well into 2000.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... isn't FC after the Dominion War? I mean timeline wise?

And also... wasn't the commander of the fleet attacking the cube in an Excelsior... and his ship was destroyed?

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

On 19 April 1989, an explosion of undetermined cause ripped through her Number Two sixteen-inch gun turret killing 47 crewmen. Iowa was still able to deploy to Europe and the Mediterranean Sea in mid-year. Turret Two remained unrepaired when she decommissioned in Norfolk, Va., for the last time 26 October 1990.

Iowa, as part of the Reserve Fleet, was berthed at the Naval Education and Training Center in Newport, R.I., from 24 September 1998 to 8 March 2001 when she began her journey, under tow, to San Francisco. She arrived at Suisan Bay, San Francisco, on 21 April 2001 and is part of the Reserve Fleet there.

Reserve Fleet = Training Ship I believe... not 100% sure on that. And yeah, she's functional. So are some of the wooden sailing ships in museums. I wouldn't wish to take them into combat either

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Case in point - There's a reason the US Navy doesn't use Battleships anymore... they're too slow. Too many eggs in one, easy-to-hit basket.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

AH, okay... I know the episode you're talking about. You DO realize it was Three Maquis Raider Corvettes (basicly, big guns, little shielding) vs a single Cardassian Galor class battlecruiser if I'm not mistaken.

Also, the Maquis Raiders come in two flavors, a Corvette Class an a Frigate Class. Also of note - they are, in actuality, old Federation ships. They have the same combat abilities as the Runabout class, roughly.

Some discussion on them here

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=73924

More on the Maquis here
    http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/peregrine.html

It almost seems like they're old Academy training vessels 0o;

10. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

nah, actually FC was before the war actually started. there were skirmishes yes, but the was no war and no major engagements. there is no mention of the class of ship that was the admiral's flagship. seaing how there was at least one Nebula present in the final barage i doubt an Excelsior would be chosen as flagship. it was mosr likely a Galaxy or Nebula. it apears there were fewer Galaxies operatonal at this time.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

the reason they don't use battleships is because they are easy targets. far to vulerable, far to expensive. had there been no anti-missiles and navy airwings the Iowa would still be the most powerfull ship out there.

i agree with the rest of the statement.

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i know, and in that particular case they have been fielded with type VIIIs and photons, something they were aperantly not designed with. it's like turning a civilian freighter into a warship by installing soe radars, harpoon launchers, sea sparrowrs, and a 12mm gun. yeah, the chasis can barely take it, and the ships would still be very vulnerable, but they's be a dangerous threat to light isolated warships.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Exactly what I said

Too slow and easy to hit. Carriers are the main vessel now because a single aircraft can carry the firepower to level a city

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I guess... but remember - the nova is designed for long-term exploration. I'd think it'd be built to be able to defend itself very well. Eg, if it can't outrun, it will outgun it. If it can't outgun it, it can outrun it.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

The Luna Class is described as a Long Range Explorer.
    I'm not sure if those two ships have enough similarities to say they do the same job.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

a have allways been curious about the semi-canonical luna. anyonae has any more info on her?

on the Nova class, i don't think outrun what you can't outgun was the policy used in it design. that's how cruisers are designed. Nova is suposed to be light survey and science vessel. to fill in once the Galaxy and Nebula clear the path. the Feds don't have a splendid record on the survivabilty of their science ships.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Eh, true, but it's a decent ship, and from what we saw in voyager, quite capable of giving even the Intrepid class cruiser a run for it's money.

18. Gumbias Registered Member

I must say this is a fun debate

Anyway You want to really mess things up imagine in the middle of the battle the Galactica drops out of FTL" OH Look Earth!" (now that is a ship that can take a beating), But imagine not only the Galatica, but followed by 4 or 5 baseships with atleast10 to 15 thousand raiders. Who fires on who? Sorry I like to make trouble.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... you really want to pit a ship that considers a nuclear warhead a high-powered weapon against the Federation Fleet?

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

true BSG is low tech, but that bucket can take those nukes without any shielding. makes you wonder what the hull is made off.

regardless, BSG is a far better show (plot,production,characters) then ST and SW ever were

21. Gumbias Registered Member

I hate to say it but I agree what a great show! Obviously a nuke would do nothing to any Federation ship. Eg. DS9 Episode Little Green Men. Rom flys a Ferngi shuttle through a nuclear blast, althought it was a 1950/60's A bomb which I am guessing is a like a small fire cracker compared to a nuke on Galactica.

I have to add this but one of the absolute coolest molment in sci/fi history (I know a few will agree) was on New Caprica when the Galactica was falling to the planet and hit the FTL in the atmosphere and jumped out. I could watch that over and over.

I assume that the atmosphere was not incinerated because of different tech then ST.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, I'm not denying that fact(Though Gene Roddenbury's Andromeda blew em all out of the water, DAMN that ship was hot!)

23. Gumbias Registered Member

I have to admit Kitt I have not seen it. Had a hard time with Hurcules on the show so I stayed away eventhough it was a Roddenbury creation. I did have the same hang up before I actually watched Enterprise with Sam Beckett as Captain Archer, but I am glad I watched it I loved the series. Wish they would not have been hosed before their time. I will have to check it out on recomendation.

I am pretty partial to the Defiant as far as most Kick Ass Fed ship ever constructed. With the exception of the Breen weapon disabling it don't think there are many ships that could even scrach her paint one on one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.