Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I know what you mean, and at that point the borg would identify the spiderdroid as a threath and you cound't use them again but what if the droid can detonate where it matters. Like at there warpcore or lets say the queen?
    Would the loss of there queen give the attacker (ST or SW) enough time to use their confusion to launch a full attack or do they replace her instantly.
    I not saying SW perse this could apply for ST too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

First off, it's doubtful that the Borg would let the droid near an area generating the main power. Nor would the Queen even likely be around; she only attends matters of great importance, nor would she let one near her (also, it's a cube, they can just throw up a containment field to protect the core or the queen. Sure the'll intensify the blast in the parts of the ship not protected, but that'll just regenerate. Even if you could say take out a power grid, another part of the ship would just take over; their ships are designed to do just that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

*sigh*

First off, the borg hadn't adapted, so your claim of weakness against plasma is based on zilch. Second of all, there is no evidence that the ship was stronger than the standard cube. Unless of course, you have evidence that it was.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh for the love of...

Alright, this is done.

Your claim is wrong. Lucas has stated it himself that EU and ICS does not take place in his world. Your god damn turbolasers have only shown at best to be able to vaporize a small town. That's about a megaton. The Executor herself can only broadside with about 3,000 megatons. That's considerably less than what the Enterprise D can generate and is only half a kilometer long to the SSD's 17.5 kilometers. Of course, because the energy is also spread out over a wide area, rather than at one focus point as it was with the Enterprise D's deflector beam, your argument is not only wrong, but you are intentionally being dishonest.

So prove that this power exists, and no, ignoring my posts doesn't help your arguments. It just makes you look rather pathetic.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

is that in Voyager? would you mind giving me the episode title? STV is one of my less known areas i'm afraid. i'd like to see it before arguing about it.

9. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Why didn't they just let a few galaxy ships warp around the cube since it can only figt in subspace? Or get an damaged vessel to microjump inside the cube and detonate the core?

10. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

actually i like voyager the most lol

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. hhmmm, good point. i actually agree with you. on small add, they allso apear to adapt by scaning targets and stealing info from databases (as in STV"Endgame" and TNG"Q-Who""BoBW"

2.partially true i guess. but still brute force might be least eficient way of fighting them. after all at least some difences apear more eficient against some attacks.

3.there you go again mixing watts with apples. no canon source mentiones the output of a GCS warp core (at least not the max). and even if it would, it still matters not, unless you decide to toss it on someone's head. who ever said that they chanell that energy directly on their targets or shields? the core operates neighter on nadion or graviton based principles.

just for the record, what amount of energy do you claim i single HTL bolt has acording to your canon source? and is it explicitly said this bolt has N jules or do they say it can "vaporise" something?

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it's not that i don't like it per se, but i have least episodes from it on disk, so it's the one i'm least familiar with.

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

maybe that transwarp hub has one. at least in a way it would lead to catastrophic problem like the DS's.

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Yes, it must be a small fleet, because God knows that Picard would think that the most heavily armed starship in the fleet probably wouldn't have any effect if it was only a handful of ships.:m:

Your claim is making an assumption upon why Picard made a choice. There isn't even any evidence that he thought it was a small fleet so his ship would make a difference. Why would it no longer matter if it was a full fleet?

False. UFP ships have been shown to fight at FTL speeds in every series. It isn't as often as it was in TOS, but it still happens. Furthermore, in order for the Cube to have reached Earth before the Enterprise E, she would have needed to be at high warp. Second, if the fleet wasn't engaging the cube, then she wouldn't have been heavily damaged; her shield generators and hull would have regenerated.

It's called a sub-space channel you twat. It's much faster than even Warp 9.

More inaccuracies. First off, the cube had just arrived at Earth; about five to ten minutes before the Enterprise E had. In order for your claim to be true, the Borg ship would have just sat in space five minutes from Earth for no apparent reason, despite the fact that she was just strolling on her way while fighting the ships.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This is the map of the Federation (more or less). Sol is our system. According to Alpha wiki, Vulcan is just over 16 lightyears from earth. The distance on the map is 59 pixels. The distance from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth is 204 pixels, which gives us 55.3220339 lightyears from Earth. By that claim, it would take the Enterprise E 75 days to travel from one end of the galaxy to the other if she was consistently moving at her top speeds. Even going with only twelve hours, she'd still cover 660 lightyears before being forced to drop out of warp.

Rather, the journey likely took around six hours. The Cube was blasting a UFP ship every five seconds or so. Given a time frame of five seconds and six hours, that's 4,320 ships...but that's more than a fleet. Thus, it would be more productive to work backwards. We all saw that about ten ships were left. For here, we'll say twenty. A fleet has a thousand ships. That's (5 seconds x 980 ships=) 4,900 seconds. 4,900 divided by 60 = 81.67. That's one hour and thirty-six minutes.

That means that the Enterprise E is able to traverse about fifty lightyears in the span of about hour and a half.

Bravo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

...What? The cube isn't limited to fighting in sub-space. We saw in Scorpion that it fired four torpedoes at a bioship.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

0. not sure about that always. anyways Picard is not sure E-E would "tip the scales". La Forge states in surprise that the most advanced starship in the fleet is not allowed to participate and Riker sais Picard's experience makes them the perfect ship/crew to lead the attack.Picard agrees with both. you want the quotes?

1.nope, they don't drop out of wapr at all (not mentioned that they do) at least not untill they reach Eart. the Cube is quite capable of fighting at more then warp 9.2 as seen in "Q-Who".

2.sub space rellays would cope with that problem. besides i do not expect them to be too far. just several hours at high warp.

3. can't be. sectors include several neighbouring systems at least. the borg have no issues with high wapr performance. they'd simply destablise UFP shields with their "green blobs" and then disable their warp power as they did in "Q-Who" this would leave many ships tagging at sub light aimlessly.

4.i agree near by defintly, but how near? and what is E-Es top speed? even from their starting location (i'd say closer to UFP's core because they were on a shake down cruise) they would need 3.5 hours to the randevous point.

and yes, Typhoon is suposed to be close to 001 just like Wolf359 was close. we just don't know how close.

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

What?

As for Borg getting on the Death Star, not likely. Given the heavyuy shielding[/QUOTE]

Heavy shielding that doesn't stop torpedoes or cubes from moving through the shielding into the trench where it can beam drones on without problem...

Armor that is apparntly made of the same "neutromium" that is found on a moon, can't resist being hit by asteroids, and apparently melts quicker in lava than steel.

You're right, the Collective will probably laugh itself into a comma at the thought of such armor.

Crewmen who use weapons that the Borg can adapt to, suck at hand to hand combat (not that it matters, drones casually toss UFP crewmembers into bulkheads before assimilating them), and of course, are all spread out through the 120 km battlestation.

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

yeah, but then again low power ion beams kick the butt out of ISDs

and ion storms of a far larger magnitude are not plesant for starships but at least they fare better then the ISDs.

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

we'd need to know the method on which their compures operate, in UFP it is usually optic or neural gell packs. these would not be much effected my an EMP. but if the Borg's system is more vulnerable it migh work. but i prefer your idea of bio-chemical warfare. it would be my best bet. or some sort of computer virus a la independannce day. but the latter is more risky, since you might not be able to bypass their security protocoles.

let a mean microbe do your dirty work i say

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i don't think they can do that yet. in the future they aperantly did it with microphasing or something, thus their torpedoes detonate inside the cube, but as of Nemesis this is still beyond them.

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

it should be noted that maybe they were losing ships at a high rate because they were allready week because of the prolonged engagement and the high warp pursuit.

22. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I thought about that, but we saw that even the Enterprise D couldn't take the firepower of the Borg cube for long, we might per say multiply that number by four (that would be 20 seconds). Even still that's 5.44 hours. And remember, he's the one wanting low numbers here. Furthermore, it can't surpass 12 hours. Even going with 44 seconds each, that's still just under 12 hours. Clearly, the UFP ships cannot last long against the Borg cube. The idea that a thousand UFP ships were taken down in about a day is going to spell big trouble for someone whose fleet's firepower is considerably lower.

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well i guess the battle lasted several hours, but the way i see it at least in its initial and final stages the UFP ships attacked in waves this the first wave could have some respite while the following waves continue their attack in attempt to tire the Borg. aperantly they allmost succeded (especially if defiant's suicide run was succesfull) albeit at high casulties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.