Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Finally, Scotch, here's a little problem for you to figure out:

What IS the Death Star superlaser? Obvsiously not a laser, energetic plasma, or any other form of near-pure energy.

Why? Because multiple beams of the laser, at the emitter, focus into a solid beam. From there, a pulsating "carrier" beam carries the destructive force to the planet.

So... obviously it's not a laser. Or Plasma. Or... well... anything remotely realistic! This is obvious because NOTHING of the sort would "change direction" just by impacting another beam... at least not to that extent. Here, they just stopped at the point of convergence and followed the carrier wave.

So much for your realism...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If you google Star Wars Stupid:

8,130,000 results

If you google Star Trek Stupid:

3,530,000 results

If you google Star Wars Funny Parody:

219,000 results

If you google Star Trek Funny Parody:

81,100 results

And it just goes on and on... much the same (Yes, I queried the INTERNET for this)

People like making fun of Star Wars... people actually ENJOY WATCHING Star Trek.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

And one more thing:

Scott, I just wasted 15 minutes browsing google with the words "did alderaan have a planetary shield" as the reference.

I found a handful of sites and/or forums that said yes (and, coincidentally, all had at least ONE person that kept bashing Darkstar and Praising wong... coincidence?) and at least a dozen that said no... I'm talking for every one that said yes, at least FIVE said no.

Some took pages of discussion, others took less than a page.

The big thing is this - that "flare" you see on the VHS is pretty much GONE on the DvD... so why didn't the shield flare in the dvd? OH! Because on the VHS it's probably OVEREXPOSURE!

8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Some very fine reasoning, as compared to TW's extreme speculation.

Honestly, TW, you weren't made to fucking speculate when it comes to SW. SW is meant to be strait-forward and uncomplicated, George Lucas would probably laugh his ass off if he found out the things your were suggesting.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually George Lucas does approve of 99% of EU and the other 1% is minor stuff like character favorite beverage, so he already knows and approves of the stuff. Planetary Shields are a FACT in EU and I was merely showing how the movies supported that fact. There was no speculation involved at all merely the facts of the Star Wars universe

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Much more realistic than a quasimystical particle that somehow breaks down atomic bonds without producing extra energy or radiation. AKA Phasers.

Much more realistic than designing a ship that sags under it's own weight in gravity. AKA Ambassador CLass, Galaxy Class, Sovereign Class.

Much more realistic than putting explorers in a lycra outfit with NO POCKETS.

Besides, for all we know the beams that converge may very well be a tracer type particle being embedded in the laser beam to help with tracking and targeting. After all a laser would be invisible in space.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually all that proves is more people watch Star Wars and more creative people watch Star Wars. Proves nothing else.

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately only one opinion matter here, George Lucas. And he agrees with EU that Alderaan had Planteray shields. Why? Becuase he put it in the novelization.

As for your overexsposure comment, again not part of the discussion as we are to take the movies, shows, and EU and apply suspension of disbelief. Meaning for these argument, scripts, directors, special effects and so on are dismissed, what is seen in the movie is treated as if you saw it for real.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uh... no...

Lucas has said, time and again... and I quote:

"The EU is another universe, separate from my own works"

He doesn't APPROVE of it...

He simply doesn't GIVE A SHIT.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Buh,...

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's because TOS was meant to carry a message... not to mention was aimed at an audience currently TWO GENERATIONS OLD.

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It proves people make fun of star wars... similar searches for Star Trek bring up remakes and parodies that actually glorify the series...

Including a brand new SERIES being made by a bunch of TEENAGERS that liked the show enough to attempt to make it... and are on SEASON THREE of their script!

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Goddamn your babble is making me sick to my stomach...

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

BTW - if you are allowing video games and novels into this - in Star Wars, INTACT X-WINGS have been down'ed and incapacitated by nearby ships exploding...

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, that was one quote. latter he goes on to say he realized that his story was one of many stories that could be told in the Star Wars universe. He has had an active hand in many of the books according to himself, editors and writers. He had personally acquired Curtiss Saxton to help on technical matters, including the ICS. It's just that whatever is in the movies is canon. If EU directly disagree with the movies the movies win. Otherwise it is ALL CANON. Just becuase Roddenberry was not wise enough to allow novels to enter Star Trek canon, doesn;t mean you get to ignore what is canon for Star Wars.

This means given what we have seen and read Planetary Shields do exist and were used to try to defend against the Death Star.

By the way, DarkStar is reviled anywhere people actually love and respect Star Trek. The man has attacked Star trek writers with nonsensical garbage, claiming to know the episodes they wrote better than they do themselves.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'll admit - some of his info is a bit "off colour"... that's why, per 90% of my later arguments, I only referenced his pictures. As I don't have a photoshop suite of my own, nor the desire to waste time re-making pictures that already exist... seems logical to me.

And EU is another cannon, a far lesser one. However, if the EU claims there were planetary shields on Alderaan fine. I don't care if it had them. THEY WERE NOT ONLINE. There was no "shield flare", there was no "delay", there was no effect to substantiate such a claim! The atomsphere went *poof*, the water vapour in the air went *poof*, then the planet went *pop*. Pretty cut and dry...

22. Saquist Banned Banned

That was good information Kitt.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Thank you Saquist - now we have to sit back and wait for TWScotch to ignore it all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.