Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well the gravity seamed normal, and the atmosphere was dense enough, so there is no way it was far off Earth's parameters

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

huh? can you account for how many transporter mulfanctions are experienced during the shows as to how many times they were used?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

LOL, no. Watch the movie and read the novelizations. The ISD's were directly following Millenium Falcon's path through the Asteroids. There are asteroids well in excess of 100 meters radius. The scene in ESB alone proves 40 to 60 meter raius vaporizations.

Also the recharge rates on cannons is sufficiently short enough in ANH and ROTJ that the same laser guns were firing mopre than twice a second.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

i doubt they have infinite range, and the Empire most cetanly did not use any tractors at Endor.

8. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

mate, i've wached the movies many times, and even posted the screen caps. the novelisation would have been fine, but in this case it contradicts the movie.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually, considering that ANYTHING out of whack sends them into a tizzy, I don;t need to account the malfunctions when nothing was wrong i just need to mention things that have hindererd transporters.

Shields (your own or other)
    Ion Storm
    Radiation
    Sensor Jamming
    Physical Strength
    Exotic metals
    Dense metals
    Dense Rocks
    Exotic minerals

The list goes on and on. Basically anything that is not an ideal situation completely louses transporters up.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No, it doesn't. Your scaling has been way off, not surprisingly. Leave it to people who actually understand what they are doing.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Tractors are invisble in Star Wars and Gravity well generators don;t need infinite range they just have to cast a sufficient mass shadow in the path of escape.

12. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Omg!

He ignored my post again!

13. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

how about direct combat? we see them used during bording actions. (sorry for the delay, my intenet conection is clunky this weekend)

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

how about making direct analisis you self then (if you dare back it up with onscreen evidence that is). you lad are good for nothing but rumble. not even once did you document your counter arguments to my posts. and your obvious ignorance of basics like dopler effect or thermal transfer is alarming. i posted pic of Falcon being hit by TL bolt. if this does does not provide a scaling base i don't know what does.

15. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

are you brain dead? the rebels slip through imperial ships unhidered. if they moce away on sub-light, what is to stop them from entering hyperspace? good will?

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, listen for fucks sake. A full on phaser strike would FLAMBE THE ATMOSPHERE OF A PLANET! Eg, GONE! They said it, CUT AND DRY, in TOS!

They were using a VERY low power phaser to drill! We're talking like, MAYBE a 1/100th of a percent power! Use your BRAIN! Drilling the hole in 1/9*10^100th seconds is pointless if the TOTAL POPULATION OF THE PLANET THEY WERE TRYING TO SAVE IS NOW FLASH FRIED!

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Thus, him, and not you? Sounds good to me.

18. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Hello TW...

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Ah, that's his typical manuver when he's being beaten during a debate. He ignores the person making the posts. He's done it to me countless times. Hold up the barage and eventually he'll run off until the heat cools down.

20. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Fine, but according to Wong's calculator, that would still be much lower, about 479.1 kilotons.

An impressive feat no doubt, but not exactly what we see the UFP doing.

Again, we can easily prove that the UFP can dish out more energy than that.

A UFP phaser rifle has an output of 1.05 megawatts. Total, that shows us that for every 1.05 megawatts that the UFP puts into their shots, they get about 300x the effective damage. This means, that a phaser rifle at setting 16, can dish out 300 megawatts worth of firepower.

Now, we also know that it takes at LEAST 4.2 gigawatts to power a SMALL phaser bank. This would be something you'd see on an old Miranda class, or Constitution class. Now, assuming that at least one phaser element can have the same output, we multiply that by 933, and get 3,918.6 gigawatts. Now, we know they get almost 300x per the amount, and since the difference is only .05 (and the weapon was stated to be above average in firepower, since it was a fake made by the romulans, this seems fair enough).

That would mean that the main phaser array of a Galaxy class ship is at least 1,175,580 gigwatts, at least effectively.

So, it does at least 0.281239234 megatons. Or 281.2 kilotons. Now that's low end, and we also have the instance where the Romulan warbird in Pegasus was able to melt a great deal of rock, as seen by the calculations given to us by the Daystrom Institute:

Also the recharge rates on cannons is sufficiently short enough in ANH and ROTJ that the same laser guns were firing mopre than twice a second.[/QUOTE]

78,047 terawatts, or 18.67 megatons.

It seems, that even at your best, you fail so horribly.

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Not to mention their fighters, which can escape the gravity well of a planet. Both UFP shuttles and starships can easily do the same. There is no reason to believe that this would have any effect on a UFP starship then.

Also, a UFP ship can move at 1/4th the speed of light, which is likely to grant them the ability to break away from a great deal of things.

Also, according to these calculations, we get a minimum for the Enterprise D in Relics (Again, Daystrom Institute):

Or basicly 936 megatons. 936 divided by 0.479 = 1,954 times an ISD would have to hit a UFP starship with its guns in order to drop her shields. Going by G2k's higher idea of 1.5 megatons (max), we would get 624 hits by their heavy turbo lasers in order to drop the Galaxy's shield.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The UFP can move at 80% the speed of light on a Galaxy, nearly 90% for a Sovereign... way more than 1/4 mate

23. Saquist Banned Banned

LOL....I know...

OMG...
    How does that begin to argue that tractor beams were used?! SHOW CANON...not speculation...You always do this...without fail. And it never ceases to amaze me.

No need to know the litteral size of the planet. The gravity was Earth Normal thus the Explosion was somere on the size of the country of Columbia!

Type Seven Shuttle Craft
    Plus, the shuttle craft was impulse only. None of the episodes it was in ever had the vessel at warp... That means no Warp Core. So you're wrong again.
    Don't believe me...review the Episode Q Who. The type 7 is missing and Enterprise conducts a search and never goes to warp during the search.

Antaran has already debunked your false theory TW. And he did so quite effectively. Where you accepted it or not 200 pages ago I debunked your claim that the turbo laser was superior to the phaser. We all know that's not true to day.

1) We know from the close ups that asteroid in ESB wasn't completely vaporized. There was particle matter left over.

2) We know the phaser actually vaporize leaving nothing within hundreds of meters of the beam

3) We know the phasers target was 10 times denser than the heaviest element in an asteroid of nikel/iron.

4) that comes to 50 or 60 times the ability of the turbo laser.

What do you not understand Scotty....
    Scotty DON'T!!!

I know but after the Rebels went toe to toe with the Star Destroyers to avoid the Death Star do you really think they didn't open fire on the Rebel ships even though the Mon Calmari cruisers were destroying Star Destroyers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.