Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkywalkerJedi アスラン・ザラ ( Athrun "Alex" Zala ) Registered Senior Member

Star Trek ships probably have low firepower in long range. Anyways, why have I never seen they fight that long range?

I bet that ISDs will use concussion missiles, about 10 missiles can completely destroy the Galaxy-Class.

I never seen Q really use his powers. Skywalker's potential can do those things too ( I mean Anakin Skywalker.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I have YET to have the SW hyperdrive system explained to me... I read 0.5 c and take it as it is - 1/2 the speed of light!

As for the galaxy gun issue - that kind of power signature would be detected LONG before it could fire... and it's missile, once out of hyperspace, would be locked, analyzed, and destroyed by automated defense systems on ships like the Nebula that are designed to counter missiles (yes, they HAVE AMS systems)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The reason most trek ships don't manuver in engagements much is simple:

Against multiple ships, attack vectors are, honestly, pointless. With that many ships, you simply aim at some point and hit something.

Have you ever seen large-scale battles in real life? A large part of it is avoiding friendly fire... if your allied ships are EVERYWHERE that becomes increasingly difficult.

Also, given the speed of phasers, moving at max impulse would not help terribly much... we're talking about a near-instant hit weapon. Inside of 10km... well, it wouldn't matter at all.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Skywalker is NOTHING compared to the Q.

8. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Once again you have no proof of this.

If ISDs have missiles, why don't they ever use them?

9. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

In quotes.

10. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

I've never shown the ability to step on a dog and kill it. Doesnt mean I cant...

Q can hurl a starship across the universe. Crushing human hearts will be too easy... He can teleport himself to the Empire's bedroom and kill him.

11. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

So? If you cannot get it right, dont argue.

12. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

No... it doesnt...

If it did, in ANH, the shields would have been up.

In RotJ, the battelstation was "fully operational", but required Endor shields...

13. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

In quotes.

14. Hotspur Registered Member

Huh?

I wasn't referencing you in any way. It was more of a general comment.

15. Hotspur Registered Member

Actually, it's quite clear.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWbta.html

If you click the above link, you'll find two images:

1) An image of the ISD before it was struck by the asteroid.

2) An image of the ISD immediately after it was struck by the asteroid.

The ISD's bridge tower is positioned directly between us (the viewers) and the Super Star Destroyer's engines, which are glowing. After the asteroid impacts the ISD's bridge tower, we can see parts of the Super Star Destroyer's engines that we could not see prior to the asteroid impact. Clearly, the object that was obstructing our view (in this case, the ISD bridge tower) is no longer there, likely because it was destroyed by the asteroid.

For more evidence of the bridge tower's destruction, look no farther than the scene that immediately follows. Darth Vader is conferencing with three captain, one of whom fades away.

This is an open and shut case. The ISD bridge tower was destroyed.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

gah, and will you know the ship's coordinates? with a planet it's easy. but a moving target?

17. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

actually the HTLs on ISD1 are heavier then on ISD2, but are dual mounted turrets, instead of octal barbettes. i'll post the pics when i get home,

18. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not entirely acurate. they could fire to disable, as they disabled Leah's ship. besides the rebels did not hesitate to shoot for kill. that ISD2 was fired upon from the heaviest guns visible and one bolt caused catastrophic damage. i can post some other photos if you like. there is at least one more scene in which HTLs are used. this was no fake battle. it started that way, but the rebels turned it at a slugging melee. they had no other choice.

19. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

from what i've seen, concussion missiles are low-end weapon, compared to HTLs. they apear dangerous in SW because of the Ray-shield problem.
    the total armaments of the ISDs is largely irelevant. more then 90% of it's firepower comes from the HTLs.

20. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1.true. the fastest speed i've witnissed in TNG+ era was 0.2c or something, on inteceprt or chase battles. in slugging melees they seldom go faster then 5km/s. still considering ISDs <1.6km/s it's quite fast.

2. they primary goal of the PM is to get awfull close awfull fast, giving you a turkey shot on the enemy. the ISD would endeed fire on both targets, but its the trek ship that will get the first shot from point blank range. since they can come out of warp at any point they can make continous such "warp strife" attacks, forcing the ISD on a difensive.

21. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

now now, the cloud is clear enough to see the SSD behind it. that tower is bygone.

22. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

not this one. or maybe they had partial particle shielding?

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

1. they do every now and then. especialy with torpedoes. torpedoes are often fired BVR in TNG.
    2. con.mis. are slow, vulnerable and low powered. they are a threat to fighters/small ships, but why not use proton torpedoes. 50-60 of those are a threat to a VSD1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.