Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Okay, how did you get non-canon form that. George has always said his movies trump everything else, but the rest is canon. George did license the Saxtons books which were made by observation of his movies and are thus canon. Suck it up. Finally he said for him there is no story past VI, but he did not say that the world ended right there.

Excuse me but a generator is always heavily shielded and contructed of the same materials as the armor of capital ships.

To break it apart you need 59.9 kilotons minimum for a slow drifting apart fracture. the asteroids were rapidly vaporized. To vaporize a 20 meter asteropid through work heating you need a firepower on the minimum of 40 megatons. However larger asteroids were vaporized inculding one that was over 200 meters in lentght, or else Avenger would have run into it while chasing the Falcon. this susggest much higher firepower.

Try to get your physics straight

We were notified of a Orbital defense grid, but no shields.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cody Registered Member

He's saying that the movies are his canon; he isn't saying everything else isn't canon, idiot.

It wasn't 'launched from just outside of the system', it was launched much farther away than that. The Probes are equipped with hyperspace; they could damn well send the coordinates before the UFP found them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Responded to this above, but for more information look at the first dang post of this thread. The apologize for being so niave.

Who cares if you did, hge was talking about making another movie. Remeber he has always said movies trump, but EU is canon as well.

All i have done is canon.

Actually, you can equip probes with hyperdrives. Expensive but done when maintaining hyperspace routes. Also all that is needed is a telesope.

You did nothing of the sort. You used non canon ST against non canon SW. All you proved is you don't play by the rules/

That was a one of a kind item and was never used anywhere else in the Federation. Not even during Paradise Lost or First Contact did they mention shields. That and in Nemesis, the Thalroan radiation could not possibly peirce a shielded ship, but Shinzon expected to be able to take out Earth.

.5 AU is over 40 million miles. Or half the distance between Sun and Earth. At that distance a vessel as small as the Enterpise should hardly be getting anything at all.

The day you debunk something I will throw a ticker tape parade in your honor. Mostly becuase it will be a first. Most of the time i leave becuase I have a life and it isn;t worth my time to educate someone who will not learn.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

Dude, I linked you to here: http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080317.html

This is the official Star Wars website, not ST-vs-SW. This is fairly fucking obvious to anyone with eyes. Second of all, there is a quote there by George Lucas claiming there are three worlds, one which is his own, the other is EU, and the last is fannon.

Saxton is not part of the movies, it is C-level and part of the EU. Thus, it is not part of the official Star Wars canon.

Ah, a simple misspelling of grenade, and you think that makes me stupid when you can't even comprehend a simple statement made by George? I'm sorry, is anyone here supposed to take this as a serious method of debating. I have to read the crap that SkywalkerJedi puts out, but never once did I complain.

Grow up, and while you're at it, let's take a look at Episode I again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVllgHN-Ffw&feature=related

Time index 1:18

It's even funnier when you consider the fact that the fighter's weapons were pathetically weak.

Granted, it stands to reason that bombers and ships would have stronger torpeodes, but we don't see Imperial ships carrying them.

Yes, I am well aware of that.
    Or were likely obliterated by the Cube, since they were likely not evading attacks, and it would make sense to destroy the non-moving planetary defenses.

8. Cody Registered Member

Dude, I linked you to here: http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news/news20080317.html

This is the official Star Wars website, not ST-vs-SW. This is fairly fucking obvious to anyone with eyes. Second of all, there is a quote there by George Lucas claiming there are three worlds, one which is his own, the other is EU, and the last is fannon.

And I told you, nowhere in there did Lucas say 'THE EU ISN'T CANON!' He was talking about how his movies are superior.

Saxton is not part of the movies, it is C-level and part of the EU. Thus, it is not part of the official Star Wars canon.

Yet again, another stupid mistake.

Granted, it stands to reason that bombers and ships would have stronger torpedoes, but we don't see Imperial ships carrying them.

They do; you just never payed attention to the movies.

9. Saquist Banned Banned

That's not very logical. Observing the "biased" information can still be informative. I've frequented Stardesteroyer.net numerous times to gather information. Quite simply if you had you wouldn't have been asking for proof. Time would have been saved.

To simply take in knowledge that you agree with is the essence of bias. Which you are actually admiting too.

10. Cody Registered Member

I'll check it out; IF it isn't on DarkStar's site or on StarfleetJedi. Is it?

11. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh do try learning how to read, will you?

Here the man is asking if Lucas will add anything from other materials (such as EU) to become films. His response was this:

Here, he says there is no story past Episode VI.

Again, NO story.

A little harder, but he either means that EU has stories about him, or he has his own. I think he means the later, but this would be non-canon, as seen later, and further supported by the fact that there is no story beyond Episode VI.

Here he declares there are three worlds. He just stated this. Given the context of the discussion, he is speaking of worlds as in universes, and such.

Here we see him list these worlds, which is supported by the context of what he is saying.

Here he specifically says this is the world that he made up, the one that he created. This could mean EU as well, but he clarifies that this is not the case later on in the discussion:

Here he specifically puts the books (including novels and ICS books) into one catagory, into one world, which is apart from his own world, given that he just stated it was the licensing world, and not his own.

And here is the fan's world, or fannon.

Here he says that he is only in charge of his world. The

Here he basicly says that he can't be in charge of these worlds, because he can't keep up. Very clear and basic english.

So thus, since all he worked on was the films, and since he specifically stated that the games and other licensing are one world, you can easily tell that he is refering to the movies, the books that he wrote, and G-Canon stuff.

Provide evidence that the generator was heavily shielded and constructed from super hard armor.

:bugeye:

The asteroid exploded, and then the remains slowly faded away, and in fact, there are arguments that it wasn't vaporized at all. I was giving you the benifet of the doubt you idiot.

TL's explode upon impact. It acts more like a bomb than anything else. Of course, we always have Dark Star's calculations:

http://st-v-sw.net/STSWaster.html

Really now. Would you care to provide evidence?

And yet you have done nothing to provide your own display of evidence, and you're talking about me?

We saw shields in Whom God's Destroy, one would believe that if they had one over a place where they keep loons, they would have it over the very capital of the fucking home planet.

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

However Darkstar has is quasi scientific terms, miscalculations and in some cases deliberately ignored occam's razor on his site. You find some of the most eggregious errors on that site, so much so that he has been Farked twice and is widely regarded by the trek side of the argument as less than worthless.

13. Cody Registered Member

Originally Posted by TW Scott
    Okay, how did you get non-canon form that. George has always said his movies trump everything else, but the rest is canon. George did license the Saxtons books which were made by observation of his movies and are thus canon. Suck it up. Finally he said for him there is no story past VI, but he did not say that the world ended right there.

Oh do try learning how to read, will you?

Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?

Here the man is asking if Lucas will add anything from other materials (such as EU) to become films. His response was this:

But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story.

Here, he says there is no story past Episode VI.

It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story.

Again, NO story.

There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books.

A little harder, but he either means that EU has stories about him, or he has his own. I think he means the later, but this would be non-canon, as seen later, and further supported by the fact that there is no story beyond Episode VI.

But there's three worlds:

Here he declares there are three worlds. He just stated this. Given the context of the discussion, he is speaking of worlds as in universes, and such.

Here we see him list these worlds, which is supported by the context of what he is saying.

There's my world that I made up,

Here he specifically says this is the world that he made up, the one that he created. This could mean EU as well, but he clarifies that this is not the case later on in the discussion:

there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world,

Here he specifically puts the books (including novels and ICS books) into one catagory, into one world, which is apart from his own world, given that he just stated it was the licensing world, and not his own.

and then there's the fans' world,

And here is the fan's world, or fannon.

which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world.

Here he says that he is only in charge of his world. The

I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it.

Here he basicly says that he can't be in charge of these worlds, because he can't keep up. Very clear and basic english.

So thus, since all he worked on was the films, and since he specifically stated that the games and other licensing are one world, you can easily tell that he is refering to the movies, the books that he wrote, and G-Canon stuff.

If you read Scott's or my reply, you would've learned that he is talking about the 'no story after' in HIS world. I had no idea a human could function without a brain.

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

First of all, use the quote button. It's the one to the left of the # just above the text.

And second of all, it takes simple reading skills, which I have already outlined
    in my response to TW Scott.

And yet again I seen no evidence to counter my one, nor do you try to point out where I am wrong in the quote, you just say "Nah uh!" and seem to think it's a fair way to debate. It isn't, and you won't get anywhere with it.

Really, would you care to post some evidence so that I may look over it?

15. Cody Registered Member

I've been using it ever since I got here; you blind or something?

The proof is that Lucas never said anything about the EU being non-canon. He said that there is no story after in HIS version. Because you have petty reading comprehension doesn't mean the EU isn't canon.

I'm serious, I did not know a human could not function without a brain. The Empire used Proton torpedoes to bomb those asteroids. You're lucky I don't feel like looking up any more because it is Eleven O'clock here.

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Claiming that something is wrong without proving why, or even without making any form of effort is not debating, but is denial. You will provide an explination as to why I am wrong.

And further, your sub-par shot is far from anything. The person was speaking to him about taking stuff from lesser canon to make movies, his response was that there was nothing else that came after Episode VI, and he then went on to tell everyone, that there were three worlds, allow me to give you a short overview:

George's World: Books, the movies, and basicly G-Canon stuff.

Licensing World (which he used specifically): Books, games, and all that stuff.

Fannon: The world of the fans.

It should be clear on exactly what he is saying, and I doubt you really believe what you claim. I believe that rather, you are attempting to try and twist the words to fit your claim, which is not only impossible to do in this case, but is morally wrong.

You didn't argue point out any flaws in my post (and I mean specifically), and you just made a very general and vague argument to try and debunk an obvious quote from George Lucas. If what he said had meant that he wasn't going to do anymore movies, than discussing anything about "worlds" would have been pointless, a waste of time, and more importantly, very confusing. The idea that anyone would speak in such a manner that someone would not understand him is absurd, and furthermore, it has been accepted by those at SW.com, who are big fans of the EU, and were in fact, hurt and offended when GL said it.

The link is below, and next time, DO not insult my intelligence and follow it up with a piss poor argument (and I use argument in the broadest sense possible) and pretend that you're clever.

Link:
    http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=264758&tstart=0

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I have already responded to this, and yes, you've missed the quote button, just check out the post above mine. It's in bold, rather than the text box that appears when you quote someone. In any case, you seem to be able to use it now, so the matter is moot.

18. Cody Registered Member

Claiming that something is wrong without proving why, or even without making any form of effort is not debating, but is denial. You will provide an explination as to why I am wrong.

I did; don't blame me for things you can not comprehend. You are wrong because you twist his words. He is saying this exactly:

"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there's three worlds: There's my world that I made up, there's the licensing world that's the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their world, and then there's the fans' world, which is also very rich in imagination, but they don't always mesh. All I'm in charge of is my world. I can't be in charge of those other people's world, because I can't keep up with it."

Does he say anything about the EU being non-canon? NO! He is saying in his world that there is no story after Episode Six.

And further, your sub-par shot is far from anything. The person was speaking to him about taking stuff from lesser canon to make movies, his response was that there was nothing else that came after Episode VI, and he then went on to tell everyone, that there were three worlds, allow me to give you a short overview:

George's World: Books, the movies, and basicly G-Canon stuff.

Licensing World (which he used specifically): Books, games, and all that stuff.

Fannon: The world of the fans.

Saying that there are three worlds doesn't mean the others aren't canon. He is talking about his world in the article.

You didn't argue point out any flaws in my post (and I mean specifically), and you just made a very general and vague argument to try and debunk an obvious quote from George Lucas. If what he said had meant that he wasn't going to do anymore movies, than discussing anything about "worlds" would have been pointless, a waste of time, and more importantly, very confusing. The idea that anyone would speak in such a manner that someone would not understand him is absurd, and furthermore, it has been accepted by those at SW.com, who are big fans of the EU, and were in fact, hurt and offended when GL said it.

Stop twisting my words. I did, in fact, point out flaws. You think he is saying the EU isn't canon from the 'three worlds' line. He is saying that he couldn't keep up and make a movie about the EU, not that the EU isn't canon.

19. Saquist Banned Banned

I've never been to those sites before so I don't know.

But whether infamous or renowned g2k's site is well known.
    http://www.st-v-sw.net/

I don't always agree with his out comes but it is a fairly dry assessment and it is a counter site to Star Destroyer.net.

20. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually i fully understood this, much unlike yourself. He was talking purely forma movie perspective. Not hard to understand. And it's an interview and so does not modify or change his already established canon policy. We all know it here but here it is again.

Main Canon: Films: This is the priime canon if anything else disagrees with the films than the film wins.
    Secondary Cannon: The novelizations, Radio broadcasts, Novels, and other books.
    Not canon. infinite worlds and all games and fanon

Provide proof it isn't. After all you need to protect the living crew members of the ship and the CPU's of the droids. At the very least this would be heavy shielding, but even a dumb engineer would back that up with the best armor available. Common sense is all that is needed here. I would never think for a second that a Warp core doesn't have shields and tritanium armor.

Interesting an ad hominem. Ah well the asteroid exploded as it was converting to a rapidly expanding gas. That is evident by anyone with working eyes. An explosion of 59.9 kilotons would have been most shards of material, not a cloud.

Darkstar's calculations have been disproven more often than the man has had a valid thought process. TL's seem to explode on impact becuase when they impact they release unbelievable energy.

We all know the scene as the Avenger is chasing the Millenum Falcon out of the Asteroid belt. There is a large asteroid easily 10 times the lenths of the millenium falcon directly in the path of the Avenger. We cut to inside the falcon where the hyperdrive fails to fire. han decided to go for a flyby on the ISD. Powering through a long arcing turn he comes around to attack.

About this time the Asteroid in question would have struck Avenger, but didn't. Occam's razor says it was vaporized.

I have provided evidence and refute yours for pages now. I do not have to keep reposting just becuase you can't wrap your mind around it.

We saw them there. But we have not seen them ANYWHERE else in the Federation. For all we know the shields could have been the invention of one of the inmates and might not have been duplicatable. The point is that is the ONLY Federation planet to have them and they were under the control of madmen.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  21. Cody Registered Member

That's DarkStar's site. He is one of the biggest idiots in the world. He argued about an episode with the WRITER of the episode. He has even ignored various statements from LucasArts that the EU is canon.

22. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

See? You did it again without quotes.

I
    Of course he did. Allow me to show you:

Do you think you'd have other people continue the Star Wars saga past Episode VI or turn some of the other material into films?

Here he lists off three different worlds. Why would he do that if it's all the same canon? Where is the logic behind that? Does he blankly have to say that EU is not canon in order for you to understand simple english?:bugeye:

He is talking about three worlds:

Confirmation of three worlds, rather than the one that you claim.

Here he states his world

This is the second world. He says this twice, once at the beginning, and once at the end.

And this is the third.

And here he supports the claim that again, there are three different worlds.

No you didn't, your entire argument was basicly "That's not what he said!" instead of actually going over how I twisted his words, and proving me wrong through means of proper english. You did none of this.

This is just not true. The three world line would have been not only pointless, but misleading. Or does Lucas like to fuck with people's heads now? This isn't even a challenge to debunk:

Notice at the beginning of this portion of the paragraph, he informs us that there are three worlds. If it was all one canon, but with levels, then he would have stated something along the lines of the levels of continuity, rather than worlds.

In case you don't know, here is the definition of worlds:

Number nine is clearly what he is talking about, given the context of the discussion. Now, then we get further along, and he says:

He starts off with saying that there is a licensing world, which is a bit general, but then he gives us more details; the books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, and the games. He just specifically stated that is a world, and then to clarify it, he finishes it off with, "which is their world". Right there he specifically says that it belongs to a different world, or universe than his own. Thus, all of EU occurs in a different world than his own, which is the movies and his books. This is further supported by the fact that he is making a list of things, like say this would:

"There are three dogs: There is mine, there is bill's dog, and there is Jake's dog."

This is basic sentence structure. George Lucas is a writer, and he has extensive experience with writing books, as well as scripts. To suggest that he has gotten as far as he has and claim that he would make such a horrible grammatical mistake is beyond all reason.

And then finally, this goes to the point of the fannon, which is pretty clear. Really, how you can continue to make an argument against this and not sound like a fool is beyond me.

23. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

If you wish to slander someone here and remain credible, you will need to provide evidence (from a reliable source) that Dark Star is an idiot, and has argued with a writer of an episode.

Also, you will provide evidence of LucasArts claiming that EU is canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.