Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Star Wars win!!! 192 versus 137 votes!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saquist Banned Banned

Yo "B"

Both of those...were enormously retarded...Very NIIICE

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

lol :bravo:
    you cracked me up!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

hey Saquist

what tool is used to write acive scripts for BC? is there a manual for its use? i might want to give it a try, and write it down myslef

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Saquist Banned Banned

I've made may own "adjustments" of color and strength through note pad but I'll have to ask my team about the details...

What do you have in mind...somethings aren't possible some things are.

9. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

well i've modified hard point files and tactical projectiles myself. but can new code ne created to make the shield recharge more slowly if the shield generator is damaged?

10. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Any of you have the Excelsior II for BC? I saw the Kobayashi Maru 1.0 mod bridge for the Excelsior II, it looked wayyy to mediocre. I like the original E-b bridge layout better.

11. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

have you visited "Bridge Commander Files" under ship bridges? untill KM 1.0 i only had about 2-3 custom bridges (GCS, Nebula, Sovereign).

12. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

found some intersting (non canon) data on the GCS.

torpedo tubes:
    max preloaded torpedoes: 10
    total loading time: 20s (2s per torpedo)- this is coincidal with sierra patterns (5 torps spread) being fired every 10s
    max discharge rate: 2.35s- this source claims that if the tubes are at maximum load, it is possible to fire all the torpedoes in 2.35s time. is there an episode to suport this?

phasers:
    main arrays: total recharge time: 22.268s, max discharge rate: 5.567s in 1.1 s bursts (coincidal with what we see in alpha strikes)
    engeneering array (clasified as forward): recharge time: 7.732s, discharge rate: 10.732s in 1.1s bursts
    aft arrays: recharge time: 12.371s, discharge rate: 2.234s in 1.1 s bursts
    pylon arrays: recharge time: 18.557s, discharge rate: 2.234s in 1.1s bursts

the total charge (in relative mesures) is allso given:
    main arrays: 67.47 units
    engeneering array: 93.7 units
    aft and pylon arrays: 37.48 units
    this would give the main and aft arrays 60 units of energy per 22.268s capability; 40 units for the pylon arrays; 174 for the forward(eng) array- making it the most nergy delivery capable.

the average power per array is:
    main arrays: 12 units per sec
    forward array: 8.7 units per sec
    aft arrays and pylon arrays: 16.7 units per sec

the shield streinght is:
    599.7 units for the forward dorsal and ventral sections;
    149.93 units for the pylon carriers and the ventral aft section of the saucer;
    299.7 units for all other shield sections.

is there a canon evidence that the forward shielding is twise as strong as the rest?

P.S. does anyone know the average damage ratio betwean an average load photon torpedo and a 1s GCS phaser blast?

13. Saquist Banned Banned

Very little of this I can substaniate with canon.
    This gets more theorectical.

I was looking to get a hold of the Reveng of the sith to find out how powerful ship to ship weapons were though. There was quite a display.

14. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

yup, the only data that seam to coincide with canon (to my knowing) are the torpedo loads and main aray discharges. that's why i asked if someone can confirm anything more. i may use these proportions to calibrate the GCS on my BC-KM for the upcomming test runs (i plan on simulating several engagements on AI mode- AI VS AI, for several ships, like GCS, Warbird, Stardestroyer I&II, Defiant, Intrepid...). so far i have only rough estemates for GCS and allmost none for the other classes. i've used my previous example (E-D VS Cube in Q-Who) and presumed a 95% empty cube (at least in the outer layers) and the value for 1s phaser burst as 245 medium turbo laser bolts. using more uncertified data for torpedo loadings and "Booby trap" i asume a value of 125 MTLs for 1 torpedo. this gives the preloaded GCS a total of 1470 MTL in beam power and 1250 MTL in torpedo power. however the average cycle for this payload to be unlished is 20s leading to an average of 73.5 MTL/s beam power and 62.5 MTL/s torpedo power.

what i need now is the number of ordinance on ISDs. we know only of the number of heavy bateries on each model. 12 Heavy on the ISD I and 64 not that heavy on ISD II. can anyone estemate the number of medium TLs? i've taken for granted 1 per 2s rate of fire for MTL and 1/4s for HTL. the damage ratio i consider is 10:1 for heavy TL VS MTL and 2.5:1 for not so heavy units-but these should be more acurate. yhis gives the HTLs the following average beampower of 30MTL/s for ISD I and 40MTL/s for ISD II. it should be noted that only 1/2 of those can be aimed at a target at the time, and GCSs phaser is the main array only.
    -so SOS people, i need the number of MTLs for each class.

aside from this, while watching the booby trap yesterday, i cought Jordi saying to Leah's hologram "these babies have 10s of thousands of lightyears on them" when discusing the engines.

15. Saquist Banned Banned

I'm not an expert on the ISD..from what I here from the star wars fans
    (who you can barely trust) say there is around 60 to 70 turbo laser emplacements.

that being the case I gave them a 10 km firing range which in Bridge commander is quite small...but it should be smaller.

16. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

how fast will you make the turbo laser bolts? they are pulse weapons right? so the projectile script will include the speed and tracking parameters. turbo lasers don't track as much as i know so they should behave like disruptors, pulse phasers and similar. they seam comparable in speed to disroptors, and a bit slower then pulse phasers. to make things fair i intend to use the "inacurate phaser" mutator.

17. Hotspur Registered Member

Greetings all.

As a participant in this thread over a year ago, I'm shocked to find it still active. I vaguely remember Saquist, whose logic and reason were a welcome contrast to certain other posters. I can recall a particularly obtuse Warsie, something-Scott, who, despite repeated efforts, could not be convinced that one watt was indeed equivalent to one joule of energy per second.

Obviously, there's no right or wrong answer in this debate, but as a Trekker, I believe that Star Trek weaponry is superior. My argument is based stricly on the television shows and movies. I don't use the novels, technical manuals, or any of the supplementary materials because they're not canon and largely conflicting (as if the shows aren't conflicting enough.)

Much of the Star Wars argument seems predicated on two scenes:

1) The shot from ESB in which a Star Destroyer vaporizes an asteroid.

2) The battle between Obi Wan's fighter and Slave 1 from ATC .

From reading through the last few pages, I see that Saquist has countered those arguments with a scene from Q Who in which the Enterprise destroys substantial portions of a Borg cube, displaying more firepower than Slave 1 or the ISD.

In my opinion, another scene that factors into this discussion comes from the TOS episode Balance of Terror: A Romulan ship destroys a starbase with two shots from its plasma weapon. The starbase is imbedded kilometers-deep within an asteroid. The first shot blows through the starbase's shield as well as several kilometers of solid rock. The second shot destroys the entire installation. Unfortunately, this scene is often overlooked, probably because it's TOS.

I'm probably a little late to this party, but I thought I might share. ; )

18. Saquist Banned Banned

I didn't have them track at all. That would account for the bad misses in Star Wars.. The speed I would give as rather fast. I put defiants speed of fire at ...150 so... I'd say something similar near a hundred to make up for no tracking.

Hey HOTSPUR...
    Welcome back..I remember you from a while ago...We've been keeping the thread alive here going into the detail...It's been great
    We've been able to isolate a Galaxy's phaser power as...
    What was is Antaran...between 10 and 49 times that of the anti fighter turbo laser?

19. LiptonTea Registered Member

Just got into this Star War vs Star Trek thing. Had been a Trekker for a long time now. I read through much of the posting that supports the Empire winning but aruging that they have more powerful weapon. Assuming that to be the case which I will get into later, Trek will still win because while the Empire weapon are more powerful, the rest of the technology simply suck. The Empire still uses world war 2 technology when it comes to weapon guidance system. Han Solo and Sky Walker was manning the laster guy turret like the bomber in Memphis Belle. They have to visually see the incoming fighter to shoot it down! Enterprise would be hundreds of miles away when they take out the Millienium Falcon. Likewise for the Destroyers. The X-wing battle scene are straight out of WW1 and WW2 where the have to see the enemy to kil it. The so call massive gun turrets may be powerful but shots like the traditional battleships as shown in the movies. Enterprise may have weaker weapon by spec (afterall, its a ship of exploration, not war) it can out manuver the attacks. You can't destroy what you can't hit.

For a Jedi to deflect a laser weapon, it would have to react and move at the speed of light. Yet, they seem to be able to move that fast in deflecting laser but nothing else.

I thought Star War was cute but never seriously consider it a Sci-Fi, but a blatant knock-off of Asian Martial art concepts by George Lucas which he has pretty much admited.

20. Hotspur Registered Member

Thanks, Saquist.

ST:TMP provides another scene we might consider:

The Enterprise's warp engines go into matter/anti-matter imbalance, plunging the Enterprise down a wormhole. Before the Enterprise can reenter normal space, it encounters an asteriod inside the wormhole along an identical trajectory. To prevent a collision, the Enterprise destroys the asteroid with a single photon torpedo.

Lt. Ilea states the asteroid measure .7 mass. Does this measurment have any significance in the real world?

We should also note that Kirk first orders a phaser strike against the asteriod - a command that Commander Decker belays because the warp engine imbalance has caused the phasers to go offline. Clearly, though, Kirk believed the power of a single phaser strike would destroy the asteroid.

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Hotspur, Lt. Ilea meant .7 the mass of the Enterprise I believe.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

I'll take a look but that is very significant if it's 70% of the mass of the Enterprise and the torp took it out in one shot.

23. antaran_1979 Registered Senior Member

49 times is probably a minimum estemate for a single TL battery (acording to Wong). for total ship-wide weapon coverage it's probably somewhere betwean 5-10 times in GCSs favor. and all these estemates presume a very
    hollow Borg cube (only 1-5% of it's outer layers composed of tritanium) and tritanium being as easy to vapourise as iron (which is silly considering the fact that they use it as armor for their ships). still i'm going to use these minimal estemates for my simulations. when faced with the fact that fire power is only a part of ship's combat ability i predict the total advantage to the GCS will increase by at least 3 times (shielding+weapon range+mobility), but i'd still wait for the results first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.