Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

I put it to record on my DVR.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm... no matter HOW fast you go or HOW many times you complete a single circle, you will NEVER crash into yourself.

Why?

Because of the fact Warp factors Relativistic physics and uses a warp field to expand and compress space...

Even without it, in Relativistic Physics, you would not hit yourself...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

you know a good ftp adress to download this stuff?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

But wouldn't you be compressing and expanding some space at the same time?

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not at all Vasago. You would modify the warp field to prevent such an action - you would, however, be imediately compressing, then expanding, the same space over and over. Might put some strain on sub-space, but new ships with the new warp nacels should not be affected.

9. Roman Banned Banned

Modify the phase variance.

Star Trek ftw.

10. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Thats, like, illegal if I tell you.
    Try bittorrent though. (mentioning BT isnt illegal)

11. USS Athens Very Special Senior Member Valued Senior Member

Whats this about?

12. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Wow... A whole day without a post...

This thread has finally died!

13. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

wouldn't that create a big sub-space rift?

also if you fire torps while you're warping around a ship, and one of those torps misses his target, wouldn't it be dangerous to get hit by your own torps?
    My question is now that we agreed that warping around a ship is indeed possible what is your oppinion to use this tactic in a full scale combat.
    does the danger this brings ad up to its destructive power?

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Is scott on a holiday?

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*snip* I can't say something nice, I won't say anything at all... *snip*

Anyway...

You torps wouldn't hit the launching ship... unlike modern day torpedos, they know the signature of their own ship and will not home in on it.

16. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

I dont think so. The torp will be going at the same warp speeds as the ship, and then some.

Unless the ship accelerates, it wont hit the torpedo. Think about it like this. You are at one end of a football field, you start running and throw the ball then go to the edge of the field and then run towards the ball. Without increasing your speed. It is physically impossible to hit the ball!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  17. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Actually Vasago this has indeed been addressed on Trek. Warp technology was discovered to actually be damaging (in the long run) to localized areas of subspace. This is why Voyager has the adjustable nacelles...the starship's Warp field is configured differently than the Enterprise-D of TNG, to minimize damage to subspace. It's a good bet that every starship after that TNG episode would be reconfigured.

Yes it would be, since the torpedo left the starship's shields by matching it's frequency, and if it's in warp, it'd be sustaining that same warp field. It would be very dangerous to get hit by your own torpedo. Likely? Not really, since the starship's computer would know where its own torpedo is and plot an automatic course to avoid it.

In a full scale combat with the many ships of a Wars invasion, it'd be quite effective. The Wars ships might outnumber the Trek starships, but none of the Wars ships' sensors would have a clue where they'd appear from next.

In Trek v Trek races, it's almost useless to use Warp in full scale combat, they can all detect Warp signatures.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Even in Trek v Trek, things like the Picard manuver make warp incredibly useful- microwarp jumps are energy inefficient, but they are tactically advantageous.

Lets not forget Quantum Slipstream - having a hundred Trek capital ships appear, microwarp and unleash a barrage of torpedos, then slipstream out, all without ever being more than a momentary blip on the Wars sensors...

19. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Well, acheiving Warp 1 is no big deal.
    It wouldnt be that hard for a ship to microwarp to just Warp 1 (faster than anything SW can hit)

20. Criti Registered Member

Indeed. The Sovereign-class Enterprise-E is such a ship. It doesn't follow suit with the adjustable nacelles like Intrepid-class ships, but the design of the Sovereign's nacelles prevent subspace damage.

21. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Hm...the thread is slowing down...do you think we can push it to 360 pages then stop?

22. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Guess everyone has figured out that ST would win...

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Star trek would win...

because...

they have boobies...

>_>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.