Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, and also:

ST automatrons have something SW ones never will - sentience.

Data on the Enterprise and the EMH on Voyager come to mind- the EMH even programmed a family on the holodeck and had to come to terms with his daughter DYING and being unable to save her. He experienced the full range of emotions and, I do believe, he was deemed sentient by the Captain (well, now Admiral)

Sentient Robots/Holograms > R2D2

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

To be fair:

Trash Cans > R2D2

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

IG-88 FUlly sentient droid bounty hunter.

Not to mention that SW has many many many more forms of droids that ST. Everything from cleaning to theoretical reasearch droids.

Sorry but SW even wins in the AI department.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Excuse me but There is a bit left to the SW galaxy to expore 80% of it is well mapped, but hey that still leaves an area almost as big the alpha quadrant to explore. In SW civillian are allowed to do that, you don't see that ins ST at all

As for owning a starship only a few exist outside Starfleet and they are all operated by non federation citizens, even Sisko's girl friend.

And every Federation trial, post TOS, we have seen in Star trek has been curiously been missing a Jury.

Sorry but the Federation is a democracy in name only, it appears more of a military Junta with a figurehead president. Of course that is TNG and byond. TOS still resembled a democracy.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

All only effective against the similiarly backwards tech cultures of ST.

So they didn't think even continual Quantum torpedo bombardment would be effecte? So? I mean they do practically admit that quantum are as little as twice ans powerful as Photons to ten times. Which if 100% efficient at the 1.5 kg AM warhead is 124 megatons to 640 megatons. Sorry, but does not compare to 12.5 gigatons.

Hmmm, trick question. The surviving ship will not be in ashes. But I will be kind enough to return your ships ashes in a clean plastic bag.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ahahaha, Scott man you just made my day. Stepping into your delusional world made me realize how lucky I was to have a good head on my shoulders.

*wipes a tear from his eye* When you grow up, let me know. You are like a happy retarded kid- despite being completely useless and almost a sad entity in and of themself, they manage to make every laugh with their often silly antics.

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Oh, and I would LOVE to see a SSD (or even the fucking Eclipse 2) survive impact with a subspace rift created via TriCobalt Devices.

Oh, I will never see that... BECAUSE IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. The ship would be ripped apart like tissue paper.

So i ask again- silver or golden urn?

11. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

A Military tribunal doesnt have to have a jury...

12. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Bullshit. They have every right to explore, the UFP has never restricted this. In fact, you can leave the UFP membership anytime you want to. Its just that most people who want to explore, JOIN FUCKING STARFLEET, possibly because THEY HAVE THE EQUIPMENT THATS BEST FOR THE JOB!

That's because it takes a ton of resources to build a starship, and many people have cheap shuttles which they bought or built themselves. And Sisk's GF was a UFP citizen if I recall. In fact, even the terrorists from the UFP managed to get their hands on small crafts capable of giving the Cardassian military major trouble. Huh, funny how that works.

Wow, funny how I see a lack of evidence in here.

...You have indeed proven yourself to be a wanked out moron. I know of no one but you who would dare to make such claims against the UFP, even Warsies who claim the 200 gigaton firepower have more respect for Star Trek than you do. So, back up your claim or lose all status in our eyes of even being worthy to debate.

Back it up now.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

he can't hellblade. He is so high on wowcrack that he probably pisses in his tub and bathes in his toilet. I honestly have no idea WHAT this idiot is thinking, but it's become more than apparent that he has no mental facilities whatsoever.

14. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

dude r2d2 is the shit he has personality he is well fucking r2d2 man how can you dis him he is one sounky astromech droid he is my fav chacter besides slave leia

15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

...What?

16. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

that is exactly what i thought when you insulted r2d2

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually and SSD would probably not even notice. After all the ship has a device aboard that allows it to create and survive and effect that makes a subspace rip look like a a little static cling.

Besides Tricolbalt devices are not standard issue. And good luck ambushing a SW ship with one.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ahehehe nice try Scott:

A SSD (or even the Eclipse 2, DS3, or a fucking planet for that matter) hit by a subspace rift would be ripped asunder. As those ships have no way of neutralizing such a rift they would have no way of stopping it from wrecking havoc on their fleet or planet. It's a fucking subspace rift... you do realize what that implies right? You DID watch Insurrection, right?

Of course not. Because you fail. You don't watch ST or SW or else you would know that half of what you say is pure shit and the rest is so overexagerated that it's false. You have tried to deem inapplicable CANON KNOWLEDGE by simply saying dialouge was wrong 0o'

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I was placing him in terms of firepower, my point is that R2D2 is pretty harmless.

20. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Cleaning droids and research droids are NOT AI. They are automatons. TW, we humans in 2007 have computers of this level. An example of each are iRobot's Roomba and CERN's SP. They are clearly not AI, and neither are any of the droids you refer to.

The late Commander Data and Voyager's EMH are true AIs. Voyager itself in one episode was suggested to be developing AI, since it began healing it's own gel-packs (side point). The closest AIs in SW are C3PO and R2D2 who have demonstrated the ability to make their own decisions and disobey orders in favour of the greater good. At BEST this means that their programmers are skilled in fuzzy logic.

You are incorrect. Cassidy Yates is a Federation citizen. She is NOT however a Starfleet member. Starfleet is the military arm of the Federation. It also assists and can be commandeered by the Federation Science Council and Medical. Other non Starfleet Federation citizens who own their own starships include Dr. Carol Marcus, Sarek and Lwaxana Troi. Dr. Paul Manheim owned his own research station. While it wasn't "canon" that he owned a visible ship that carried him and his team to where he built his stations (one was destroyed), it is a reasonable assumption that they didn't walk or swim there.

Very correct. Starfleet trials do not require a jury, only higher ranking judicial officers. This occurs in present day judicial systems as well. However, a few Trek trials that occur outside of Starfleet included juries (I remember two, one was Wesley's trial, one was Belanna); as I have said, Fleeters must abide by the law of the World in which an event in question took place.

I will also note that TW has not satisfactorily addressed my challenges to his statements.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  21. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

no he isnt he will fuck you in the ass

22. Saquist Banned Banned

In Thumb Wars the propposed that C3PO and R2D2 were homosexual droids, so you're not the first to suggest that.

23. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Not really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.