Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Absolute rubbish.

ST: First Contact - Borg Sphere releases multiple torpedoes at earth, wiping out Cochrane's land side research facility.

ST:VOY Scorpion - Borg Cube uses a 'spin cycle' manuevre and releases 2 torpedoes per Cube side to damage a Species 8472 ship. The damage is not enough to stop the 8472 vessel and they change tactics to ramming speed to destroy it AND protect Voyager which contained the weapon of their ultimate salvation.

ST:VOY Endgame - Borg Cube #3 uses torpedoes to attempt to penetrate Voyager's new ablative armor.

ST multiple episodes - Borg drones use hand to hand combat after transporting to targeted ships (eg to repel Worf and Data in 'Best of Both Worlds', or hand weapons in 'Descent').

ST: VOY - Borg Queen uses mind games in conflict...(Dark Frontier) using her link to Seven to blackmail her surrender; (Unimatrix Zero) using self destruct on her own ships to force Janeway to back down (momentarily anyway), fighting Tuvok's Vulcan disciplines to make him work for her.

You know nothing about the Borg clearly. The most I will allow is that they are slow on the uptake in the heat of battle. They do not solely rely on the assimilating tractor and the cutting beams, and use various tactics for their perceived long term victory. The tractor and cutting beam are just the easiest weapons for mass assimilation and on-screen wow-factor.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

If anyone has noticed, the Borg are getting more and more cunning in each encounter. They are slowly "learning" to be as quick witted as Humans are... which is proving to be dangerous.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Correction Kitt...they have already become more cunning...even in their limited appearance in canon.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

How bout just plain stupid....I'm SURE that played some pivotable role in all of your wrong answers.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Dude, not my implication at all. What I was saying is a one time tactic that we do not see repeated, despite it's obvious power and efficiency, does not an argument make.

If we saw the borg using these torpedoes in every conflict then perhaps you would have a valid point about the system. However for all we know it could have been a warp powered minshuttle filled with explosives that was used to quickly bring down the enemy.

10. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

11. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

...yes TW, the Borg use shuttles instead of torps.:bugeye: :m:

12. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But here it is again, despite your red herrings

Enterprise-D Warp core output. 12 billion gigawats per second.

ISD firepower output: 3.4485 billion terrawats per two seconds for Turbolasers and Ion Cannons

These are canon figures. Not that I expect any of you to admit the truth.

13. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Its also canon that the Eneterprise D shot a photon into a sun and the torp didn't at all seem bothered by the fact that it was in a sun. There's also the fact that Han shoots your ICS yields to hell.

Lets go over the facts shall we?

1) Han is a professional smuggler, even Jabba the Hutt said so, a large crime lord.

2) Han said that not even the entire starfleet could destroy Alderaan. He said it would take a thousand ships-, its possible that a starfleet means one fleet, so we know that not even a fleet of starships can do it. Likely closer to a thousand.

3) Han was right about the sensor blindspot on the back of an ISD.

4) Han was right about them dumping their shit before making a hyperjump.

5) According to your idolized EU, Han Solo is a former Imperial Pilot. Unless you wish to assert that the Empire are fucking retards, they would train their pilots on the basics of ship operations as well as combat, not to mention that Han himself might have been involved in a battle, and would be familiar with their weaponry.

6) The Empire uses fear to keep people in controle. If they could have obliterated planets, Ben and Luke would have thought something was up when Han made his comment.

7) Its canon that the Clone Wars where common knowledge, even to a backwater planet like Alderaan.

8) Ben made no comment on how stupid of an idea that was, nor gave any indication of such. Ben was also a formal commander of the Republic ships, which is the era that ICS is supposedly giving the 12.5 GGs. One would think that someone might have made a mention of that to their commanding officer, or that Ben would have noticed that.

9) There is no massive shockwave when we see something explode. The Enterprise D caused a massive shockwave that sent the fleeing disk portion of the ship off course crashing onto a nearby planet. Its also worth noting that the Enterprise D fared better in atmospheric entry than the command ship in RTS

10) By the above logic of your claims, we should see massive shock waves...and yet we never do, not even when large ships that apparently toss this stuff around like candy explode. One would seem to ask where all that energy is going.

Look there, apparently there are ten good reasons why your claims are bullshit.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

A speically modified Photon torpedo, remeber. One that the scientist designing the device took decades to design even the prototype.

Sure

Yes, yes, true. Though honestly Captain Solo was previously a Imperial navy Officer as well.

Yes he did say that, though he continued with "-with more firepower than I've..." This could mnean he is exaggerating. Humans do that you realize.

Also for your edification the joules needed just to defeat the gravitational binding on an earth sized planet is measured with 38 zeroes. And that would be a slow breaking up, not a rapid explosion. You would need 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 Heavy Turbolasers to even think of getting near that number

Yes he was, but being right about one thing does not always mean right about another.

See above.

Yes, but understanding weaponry does not neccesarily mean you understand the physics involved with breaking a planet apart.

Actually, at first the Empire used Bureacracy and prpaganda to maintian control. In fact Palpatine was much loved in the core worlds.

Alderaan was not back water. Along with Coruscant and Corelia it was one of the major human worlds.

Well, considering that Ben was mostly a ground forces leader i do not see how this equates, but again see above.

Warp core breaches cuase a subspace shockwave as well as a warp pulse effect. This is unique to warp engines.

As for other shockwaves, with no medium to carry they just don't exist.

Actually as eexplained under number nine. A shockwave needs a medium to carry it. Vacuum is not a proper medium.

More like ten reason we now understand how little you know about anything.

15. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

hellblade how is it that you think you know so much more about star wars than a star wars fan like me

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Only its sensors had been altered.

I already said that...

I very much doubt he was going too far overboard.

Oh? Apparently the ST powers can destroy planets, how is it that the Empire fails at this?

No, but it does give him credit, and seeing as all of them falls into his field of expertise, I give it to Han over ICS.

See above.

True, but nor is the proof that Han didn't understand it, which you would need to prove in order to counter my argument. A character with knowledge in the field in G-Level canon is higher source than C-Level canon. Also, Han comes from an advanced society, one might assume that he has a high intelligence compared to our own.

Really, I suppose the Death Star would account for this? Or the fact that their ships where made to look scary? And this doesn't change the fact that this would be well known knowledge.

Excuse me, I meant Tatooine, or whatever its called. Luke knew about the Clone Wars if you recall.

Wait, your telling me that the Jedi Masters didn't know what kind of firepower these ships could put out? What are you trying to pull? Furthermore, wouldn't he have been briefed? And since he worked for the government, wouldn't he have some idea how powerful these weapons where? And yet your saying no? I call bullshit. Even military officials tend today tend to have an idea of the upper limits of aircraft bombs. Claiming that Ben is ignorant of this fact is just plain stupid.

No they don't. That's only if you generate the energy into the warp engines, which would cause even more of a danger. The warp engines would be destroyed, and the warp core works off of anti-matter, so what you claim isn't possible.

And again, you are wrong. Shock waves can occur in space. The difference is that the energy expands more quickly because there isn't any air. Therefore making the eplosive energy only a fraction of what it would be on earth. If your weapons are so much more powerful than Enterprise D's Warpcore, it should have similar, if not stronger results than this.

Perhaps some sources will get you to listen to reality.

Or how about this?

and of course, this?

Yeah, how silly of me to think that a shockwave could exist in space...

You mean like how apparently I lacked the ability to make a ten minute google search to make you look like an idiot?

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well, given that you haven't really added to this debate, I can't just assume that anyone who claims to be a Star Wars fan knows more about it than I do.

18. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

so you say are a star wars fan than answer this how dose durge die

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

You mean the guy from the Clone Wars thing? The one who fought Ben? Didn't he then and there? And why does this matter?

20. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

because if you realy are a star wars fan you would know this and if you are not a star wars fan stop saying things like you know what your talking about

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Interesting, so I take it you have a counter-argument that you could use to disprove my posts?

And again, how is this relavent? You do know that anyone with half a brain could have just done a google search or gone to the Star Wars databank on the official website right?:bugeye:

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Dude, it was fitted with special emitters to try to kickstart the sun back to normal. In fact the only thing that was normal was the casing and the warp sustainer engines.

ST has not Destroyed a single planet on screen, except possibly species 8472. SW destroyed one planet on screen with absolutely no doubts.

Fine, but what Han says does not counter ICS in the slightest.

Yes, that becomes real apparrant when it takes Luke to explain to him that the Princess might be able to reward him monetarily.

Also while Han's knowledge might be above C level canon, it also might not. You have to prove it is.

Besides which nothing he said disputes the 12.5 gigatons.

Excuse me, but the Empire ruled through Propaganda and Bureacracy. Even when Palpatine dibarred the Senate he was popular. he did not need the tarkin principle to maintian control.

Yes, Luke did. So?

jedi's do not work for the government. They work for the order. The Jedi Council is actually the one to own the army thanks to Sidious' manipulations. However he might have been briefed about the fire power, but as I mentionioned it would take 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 Heavy turbolaser to cuase the slow breakup of a planet.

Dude, the one thing I know about electronics is quite a bit of the time when a unit is destroyed there is one final short out. This short out could easily make a warp pulse.

Someone explain to this asshole why explosions in space do not cuase the massive shockwaves he imagines it does. He obviously failed every form of physics known to man.

23. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

true you have a point but you are pissing me off so im calling you out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.