Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm, no scott. Assimilation Cubes are roughly 3040 meters per side. I have posted a very accurate image to help you understand.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And scott, tell me, where in these pictures do you see a green glow?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I do NOT see a "green glow" ANYWHERE in that sequence. FOR THAT MATTER THERE IS EJECTA COMING OFF THE PLANET AS OF THE THIRD PICTURE! You can see it on the top left hemisphere of the planet (from our vantage point)

These are from the ORIGINAL MOVIES (Yes, I own the ORIGINAL triliogy, as WELL as the 6 DVD Set of the remastered first 3 and the 3 prequels AND I HAVE THE HD VERSIONS ON MY HD)

Scott, I can post ANY of the sequences from ANY of the sets (remastered, HD, or VHS) you would like- in NONE of them is there a shield glowing green.

And SCOTT, why in the WORLD would planetary shields glow ala star trek? NO OTHER SHIELDS BUT THE GUNGAN MOBILE SHIELDS HAVE SHOWN THAT!

Come on man! Be rational at LEAST!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Fisrts and Second picture you can see a greenish tinge to the growing illuminated area. Third and fourth picture the greenish tinge is at the edge of the white hot expansion.

As for your assertation about shields in SW not glowing Droideka shield glowed when struck, or shot through. In fact every shield in an atmosphere had such a glow, just not the same color.

now do the world a favor and stop being an ass.

Okay I will admit that I was wrong about the size of a Borg cube, it is 28km^ or ~3,036 meters to a side. Which is 4 meters less on each side than that picture claims. Just want to make sure everyone is working on the same page.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, either I am colour blind (possible since my father is) or you are seeing things. The only green I really see in that picture is the superlaser itself. In the digital versions that is even more pronounced and the glow is almost a bluish color. This makes sense as to have a "pure white" you have to add a hint of blue (it's how the human eye works and a lot of blargh)

And you didn't answer my final question- if there IS a shield, why was the ejecta able to escape? Seems stupid to have a shield that didn't stop physical things.

And a good point was brought up about the Survivors episode- you do realize that in TOS, the NCC 1701 Enterprise took a large nuclear device at very close range. Granted, it damaged the ship severely, but if I remember righ their shields were pretty damaged after Romulan attack already.

Not only that, but the one time they traveled back thru time and came under attack from US Fighter aircraft. They were not even phased by it, even by missile attack.

To claim that a mere blast alone like that could down the shields, given what we have seen in TOS, is suggesting their shields have become FAR weaker over time... a seemingly stupid assumption to make.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Either you are color blind or plain just not looking. I'm leaning towards the later. There is definately a greenish tinge.

You'll notice the ejecta did not escape untill the planet was already expanding/exploding. Common sense would say by this point the shield would have been knocked down. or is that beyond your comprehension.

Dude you are still not getting it. Okay think of it like a ballon. Some tough balloons can be sat on and still not pop, but a simple needle gets them every time.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  10. Hard For Kirk Registered Senior Member

11. Saquist Banned Banned

TW has essentially folded. There is no way that 240 meter area of damage could any where equate to the Densisty or less than the Density of a Forty Meter wide asteroid. It's rank stupidity.

The rock likely wasn't Forty meter long anyway. More like 5 or 6 meters.
    And seeing just how efficient the Borg are with everything else I doubt they have ships with a large amount of useless space.

As Tw would say. it's a strawman. A sad defense against an overwhelmingly superior argument. His agreement was never required since his bias toward Star Wars is obvious.

12. Qui-Gon Jinn the hippy with a lightsaber Registered Senior Member

the defiant sucks

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No what is rank stupidity is thinking a 240 meter hemispherical hole in a borg craft must be more dense than a solid 40 meter wide asteroid. We know from looking at the vessel and the the scenes of the inside that 80% to 90% of a borg craft is open air. So only 10-20% of that hemisphere is solid. Then we have to compare materials. Seeing as how Borg relay of shields for defense and seem infinitely vulnerable if the shields are pierce, the material seems to be light, weak, and have a very low melting temperature.

Notice here that he tries to claim the rock must be 5 or 6 meters, but offers no explanation. Very stupid as we see there are many Asteroids that are dozens of times the size of the millenium falacon.

And here Saquist ignores visuals and actual scenes of the inside of borg vessels.

Actually I would say your argument is a strawman, as well as outright fabrication, and ad hominem.

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Excuse me, you wouldn't be talking about First Contact would you? You do know that there where alot more UFP ships, since the Borg where engaged before they entered Sector 001 and the Enterprise had to travel all the way from the Romulan Netural Zone all the way there, something that would take days?

And their armor is fairly tough, given that its meant for gee, SPACE FLIGHT!

15. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

*cough*

Excuse me, about the Survivor's episode...shut the hell up. You have not replied to any of my posts and thus you have conceded the point entirely. So either respond to my posts, or do not speak of such matters, for I have already disproven it and your just running around in circles.

That is all.

16. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Um, sorry, but that doesn't work. UFP phasers are very clearly NDF weapons, as your buddy Wong likes to point out, so it would be very unlikely that they hit a generator in a manner that would have caused them to explode. Furthermore, there is no indication that they did, unless you wish to provide evidence of such an idea.

Oh for the love of...are you on fucking crack?:bugeye:

You would not need 300 megatons to vaporize that astroid you fool. Furthermore, you have yet to provide this "canon evidence" that you so fondly speak of. And furthermore, we are still talking about alot more firepower on ST side then. You vaporized some heavy metals. The UFP vaporized the heavy metals and did it in a much larger area. Something that's basicly the size (if a not more) of your fucking ISD.

We already had this discussion, but I see you want to discuss it some more. If an ISD is so powerful, then why didn't the SSD cause a massive shockwave when it exploded upon hitting the Death Star II? That kind of energy would have roasted those fighters. And why when the Death Star exploded, did we not see Endor being torn apart? Unleashing that kind of energy should have cracked the moon like an egg in a second upon impact, and seven seconds later, scrambled it. But YOU DON'T SEE THAT!

You see, this is the problem with claiming absurd levels of firepower, you have to prove it and it's easily disproven. Now you see while its true that shock waves are much weaker in space, a blast of that level is going to cause alot of problems. Alot. Nor would it go unoticed.

No they aren't.

17. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Sorry, you can't compare the two. Droideka's are very much not the same as planetary, or even fighter level shielding. Its unknown why they have shield glows, but the shields are clearly visible before hand, while your suggestion in ANH would call for ones that are invisible, but flash upon impact. In order for your theory to be true, the whole planet would have had to been glowing and there impacts would have looked much like the Droideka's. Furthermore, when Lucas did ANH, there where no such things as Droideka's or anything and yet its apparent that he had not put in any kind of shield or even mention it. You see, in the first three movies, shields didn't appear at all, you just couldn't see them. Thus, in order to tell people they where there, they would have quotes to keep people on the same page. There is no such thing in that movie. Your argument is unsound.

18. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Actually, the smallest its been claimed is around 20 meters I think, its unlikely that it was too much smaller than that given the size of an ISD, but either way it doesn't matter.

19. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

This is nothing short of a lie. Sure there is open area, but then again, depending on how you view UFP weapons, and either way is reasonable, that could actually increase the energy of said phasers. And still, your claims are utter bull. At most, 50% of that area is open. And furthermore, your claims are BULLSHIT. Why would the Borg have a weak hull, they assimilate technology that IMPROVES their own. Why would they have vastly weaker hulls than the Delta Quadrent groups who do have strong hulls? And if you recall, whe the Enterprise D was able to modulate their frequency to deal some damage to the ship, it still hardly did anything.

This coming from the fool who thought that it would take 300 megatons of energy just to vaporize a 40 meter (at the most) object made of rock and nickel?:crazy:

You mean just like you?

Hey, when you actually reply to my earlier posts concerning most of what you try to repeat over and over again, and hopeing I forget, perhaps people will actually care?:shrug:

Your hardly worth the energy anymore.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Hellblade, Scott has you blocked. He is unable to counter your arguments, so he chose to ignore them.

Just as I have chosen to ignore Scott

Also- the borg do not have 'shields' per say- they have an energy barrier to prevent transporter locks. if you remember, shuttlecraft were able to slip thru that field unobstructed. It is their ability to quickly adapt that makes them so dangerous.

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

They didn't have shields then, they did use it in a later episode, via Voyager, but that was more in response to the fact that they where having trouble adapting at first...but managed to do so.

22. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

You are mistaken in this and it is my fault. What I explained earlier about the sun's output energy in 39 nanoseconds is 50 megatons. A small fraction of 12.5 gigatons, however this is the output of the Photosphere. Never the less I was only using the sun as a comparison. 50 megatons or 5.4 yottawatts in a concentrated beam would in fact be able to create a massive amount of destruction.

P.S. Just because G. Lucas said that the ships's weapons are that powerful, he mistakenly contradicted the laws of physics so let's be reasonable.

23. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Стар Трек правил

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.