Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Um, TW Scott, are you going to address my post? Why did you skip to this one?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, I'll be simple JUST for you:

Nobody was surprised because, SURPRISE! It just happened!

Instead of being all shocked and confused, they chose to ACT and do something about it.

If a US Solider was "surprised" and "shocked" when something happened that shouldnt' happen, we'd have a LOT more dead soldiers...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, let me do some math for you:

Assuming ONLY FIVE major continuity mistakes in Star Wars:

5 mistakes divided by 6 movies is about .89 mistakes per movie.

Now, Star trek (and we'll use your episodes just to make you happy)

assume 250 major mistakes in continuity over 726 + 10 episodes.
    That is about .3396 mistakes per episode.

So, yeah. You see what I'm saying? Trek has a MUCH larger margin of error thanks to having SO much screentime!

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

No, he won't, because he cannot fight it without resorting to name calling and idiotic remarks about how his mother could beat your mother.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Obviously the CGI guy messing up.

It is only thing to exaggerate the size of the ship. Quite another to be reading the sensor readout and tell the Captain the wrong reading.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  10. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Sorry, suspension of disbelief, that means we can't apply normal logic and reason because its canon.

Really? I think its a little more far fetched to walk upon a ship and not notice that its ten times the size as it was a day ago, or a tenth of the size it was supposed to be. And poor Worf, he lives on the thing and doesn't seem to notice at all! The poor dear must be going mad...

11. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

we have an at-at

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

... not for long

*steals the At At*

WHAT IS LOVE! BABY DON"T HURT ME! DON"T HURT ME! NO MORE!

*stomps around town in his AT-Pathfinder*

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

250 mistakes? oh please

Every episode with Defiant is guarateed one continuity error on top of any other.

Every episode of Enterprise has theses continuity errors

Every moment in that that history
    Warp engines in a ship prior to The Cage (remeber that the Enterprise had what they called a hyperdrive thought obviously not the same as SW hyperdrive.)
    Ship more advanced looking than the TOS Constitution

not to mention individual ones of
    meeting Klingons
    meeting the Ferengi
    and many many more.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Finally you graduate, I was hoping you'd catch that.

Actually the biggest difference I have read about was 20 meter difference in size for the Defiant. jem Ha'dar fighters seem to vary a bit in size, but that could be different production runs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Please don't try getting nit-picky scott... you could double the number of errors in ST, quadruple them, increase them by a factor of 100. I could point out enough errors in SW should I decide to go thru each movie and look that would give SW as much higher ratio.

Why?

IT DOES NOT HAVE THE SCREEN TIME.

Period.
    End of discussion.

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Learn to quote first off...

and second, adding a full deck is quite a big difference when there's, what? 4 decks TOTAL?

You are adding 1/4 onto it's height.

That's a pretty big difference for such a small ship...

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

A deck doesn't have to be full size, just big enough for a crawl space

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I honestly don't know how to reply to that...

have you EVER, in ALL OF STAR TREK, seen an ATTIC?

NO!

So why the FUCK would you imply there MIGHT be one?

Deck is to Starships as Story is to Skyscrapers.

STANDARDIZED.

Christ, what would EVER make you think contrary to that? Jefferies tubes perhaps? Maintenence access? They are separate parts of the ship and are, generally, between decks.

Oh, and as you are so FOND of saying:

Prove it.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

20. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Then of course that still means that UFP firepower has increased since that event, as we see them taking on alot more firepower later. Good thing they upgraded those shields.

Nope. The Founders like everything to be standard. They would hate for a Jem'Hadar attack ship to be even an inch longer than it would be and thus that would make it unlike the Domionion. Seeing as you have no other proof and the ship that always varies is the Defiant, then I suppose its the Defiant now isn't it?

Are we done playing this game, or can we get back down to real debating, in which case you have to admit that your wrong about the 400 gigawatt idea?

21. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

He will never admit to it- he's so hopped up on jesus-juice from his fanboy friends that he thinks he's right.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually the ratio does not concern me as much as how many time ST repeats mistakes. I mean even if they were slightly consistant, but they aren't. Not even close. I mean SW if it makes a mistake it's minimal but ST messes up BIG things.

23. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Oh, I know that. But now he either has to admit to the logical fact that the writers made a mistake, just as the CGI people made a mistake, or he has to agree to something that anyone with a half a brain could tell you is wrong. It was a trap. >=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.