Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

It was stated in the very episode the Warp Sustainer engines were mentioned. That they could sustain warp speed if fired from a ship that was moving at warp at the time. Obviously they are not capable of achieving warp or else they would have called it a simple warp engine and the ship wouuld not be needing to travel at warp to get the torpedoes to warp.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

I didn't say they were.

I see no reason to make that conclusion. Distortion has been used in connection with anomalies but to my recollection never with the warp drive.

In any event. The core iteself doesn't create any distortion. It is a power unit. This has been stated numerous times throughout Trek.

That is exactly what Seven of Nine stated. So apparently I'm smoke pure and unadulterated truth.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Saquist Banned Banned

The "Warp Sustainer" has never been mention in any episode of Star Trek, to my knowledge. Refresh my memory.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Not speculating, the crew seemed quite surprised that the Sona weapon had caused a tear of that effect. They came up with on the spot explanations that were probably verifiable just by how the core was reacting. However you will note that even after the core was ejected they were afraid more subspace weaponry would be used against them.

The Tri-Cobolt device might have been predictable, or perhaps they knew any effect of the device would virtually destroy the caretaker array.

So I will use your own words against you you make many assumptions...

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But you are treating them as if they are

Now I know you are stupid. Watts has been used long before Cochrane units and the show has used Cochrane units several times to describe the effect of spatial distortions. FInally the core would create spatial distortions, why else would a subspace tear be attracted to it

Last time Seven of Nine was in the Alpha Quadrant she was a young girl.

9. Saquist Banned Banned

I'm sure to you they did seem.."surprise" Nonetheless, LaForge knew exactly what to do and acted without direct orders in order to correct the problem. I'm sure all that registers as "surprise" in your cognitive processes.

Perhaps.

The difference would be you present your assumptions as facts, whereas I present them as ...assumptions. Thus you've quoted to to no effect.

10. Saquist Banned Banned

You're making assumptions. I quote a non canon source and a canon source. You proceeded to ignore the canon source and pointed out the non canon source. As a result the agreement of the two has been lost on you.

I see no source material to suggest you're not as stupid as you claim I am.

Irrelevant and you know that that it is.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Seven of Nine was in the alpha quadrent as a girl, yes. But that suddenly makes her incapable of knowing starfleet regulation?

I'd like to know how exactly that works... after all, she's ONLY a MEMBER OF STARFLEET now!

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Conclusion- TriCobalt Devices, while outlawed, have been found useful. Thus they would wtfpwn an ISD. As such, they will be used (note- they have been used in situations of dire need, eg, against the Caretaker array)

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

TNG Half a Life.

You will also note that torpedoes almost always take several second to reach their targets.

14. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You will note that most battles take place at large distances...

15. Saquist Banned Banned

Source substaniated.

They're are traveling sublight.

16. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

But NEVER against anything with anything resembling active defenses. They were not used against the Borg or even the Scimitar.

17. Saquist Banned Banned

In the case of the First Borg Invasion there was not time to use them. Nor is it clear that such weaons existed.

In the case of the second borg invasion they were unnecessary

In the case of the Scimitar. Star Fleet vessel do carry illegal weapons as a matter of rule.

18. Saquist Banned Banned

However Voyager: Caretaker proved the device can be deployed actively in battle.

Star Trek Insurrection proved subpace weapons can be deployed against shielded targets.

19. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually from visual data 99% of all battles happen within 50 kilometers at best. Witness the dogfight around the Prometheus the torped took two whole seconds to reach a definat class ship, but from the appearance of the visuals the defiant class could not have been more than 50km away unless it s FAR larger than anyone claims

20. Saquist Banned Banned

I must concur.

Trek weapons deployed at 100 to 10 kilometer range for maximum effectiveness against equally manuverable targets.

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

They had DAYS to ready the weapon.

Oh, man i hope you never lead a military. Sacrificing your men's lives becuase if they fight hard you won't have to use a simple weapon? The second stupidest thing i have ever heard.

You know, this is another stupid thing. I am sure everyone out there can tell you why, but obviously you do not get it.

22. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

So obviously Torpedoes travel only a few thousand km per hour. Not at warp speeds.

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I think he meant do not normally carry them...

That and a part of the problem was the Scimitar was cloaked- torpedo's were rather ineffective until AFTER they managed to disable it's cloak. by then, the ship was beat to hell and probably couldn't launch one if they wanted to *shrug*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.