Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Small problem HE came back from the dead once already.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

i still say dune could take them

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Fine, we will resurrect no dead people (unless we have genetic material to clone)

But any equipment can be rebuilt that is not inherently unique, There can always be a Deathstar three or another suncrusher.

Star Trek uses Metric as does Star Wars and watts is watts is watts and joules is joules is joules.

Finally even a ISD ins a planetary threat as a single one can make a world completly devoid of life.

Dude they exist in a ring. So the ISD's come from another direction. Say from above

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

how, one shot and DUNE is just a collection of glassy asteroids. Hell SW can fire a missile from clear across the glalaxy and destroy the planet.

8. Fettman #1 Bounty Hunter Registered Senior Member

Dune would do ok in ground combat unless it was the Mandos fighting them or if the Empire unlessed all of its might, but in space...it wouldnt be pretty for dune

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, the problem is if asteroids are such a threat to wars ships, then obviously their shields aren't enough to withstand them and the ships aren't manuverable enough to avoid them.

Trek ships can EASILY manuver thru such a field and wouldn't even be worried about the smaller asteroids.

If you can bring back previous tech, so can we. Again, can of worms that opens up the Trek's best superweapons from the Dyson Sphere to the Genesis Device. If you need genetic material to clone, we have it all in the transporter records

PDP's have been shown on screen- hell, they once beamed the warhead out of a tricobalt device chasing down the ship in Voyager.

As for mass transport- it's been done through shields none the less. Star Trek: Insurrection is the best example of it.

how could Wars jam their sensors/communications if they have never encountered the SubSpace Spectrum before? That and ship to ship radio is on a narrow beam. It'd be incredibly hard to jam that.

10. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Also ,Ship to ship radio is on a random Oscillating variable implemented by a ships computer, which also changed the entire algorithm, in the heat of battle , you can't break through.

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually would you want to listen to dozens and dozen of asteroids striking your ship for days on end? No, I don;t think so. Also unleke the impacts we have seen in ST the asteroids EXPLODED as it hit the bridge tower, not drove through it like Jem H'dar fighters through ST hulls.

Aslo the Van Allen asteroid belt desnity is such that if you were standing on one, you would not be able to see the closest one it would be that far away.

the Millenium Falcon was barely able to manever at full speed through that fields and it is only 50 meters long at best.

I certianly agree you can bring any duplicatable technology to the fore. That includes Ablative Armor but definately not one unique devices like the Stone of Gol, Xindi Super weapon, the Krenim Temporal ship, the Genesis Device, Dyson Sphere and so on.

Are you fucking kidding they did it through a downed shield.

Excuse me, but the baseline ham radio type comm system used on civillian and military vessels is subspace tranciever

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The shields weren't down at all- their harmonics were disrupted. As Wars ships don't have said harmonics (they have a single frequency) that wouldn't be an issue. Simply scan the shields and adjust your weapons to the same frequency. Congrats, you now have tissue paper protecting you.

Harmonics are a very good thing. We can prove that Wars shields have no harmonics because they reflect light.(Look at the Gungans shields for an example of this). if the shields had a harmonic frequency (flicker) this would not happen.

I don't see why you say "for days on end" if it was simply to get the falcon.

The REASON the jem hadar fighter exploaded is because it's warp core detonated. Watch the scene closely- the left hand of the ship detonates long before it contacts the hull of the Oddessy. The impact did a fair amount of damage on it's own, but the core detonation was what killed the ship in the end. That and the fact it happened right near main engineering doesn't help.

Unique devices? I'd say the Death Stars are unique- there were only two. There were I think three total genesis devices (once that was used on the planet they were on, one that was destroyed, and one that was used on the planet Spock was buried on). If you can duplicate the Death Star, we can duplicate the Genesis device.

We don't need the Kremin Temporal Ship as we have the Incursion class timeship.

BTW- if the falcon is only 50 meters long and had trouble manuvering then ships like the peregrin would have an awsome time dogfighting in asteroid fields with your ships.

And the Q did put a barrier around the Sol system- it was mentioned in one of the episodes of TNG and it was the barrier that had to be penetrated in one of the pilot episodes of TOS.

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Ah, the widely refuted and often ridiculed Shield harmonics argument. First off there was an arc of the Enterprise's shields down making the opening. Second SW shields are completely unlike ST shields. They do not have a frequency becuase they are either active or inactive, not set on a frequency that flickers them on and off. See SW shields are smart, they let the outgoing firepower leave unmolested. ST shields are dumb, they need deactivated for brief preriods for the weapons to pass outwords.

Harmonics is a lazy man way of designing shields. Instead of designing them so they let the ship weapons out you shut down the shields at a set frequency so that the weapons can be used. SW shields can let firepower out while keeping the enemy fire at bay.

They were searching for TWO WHOLE DAYS in that asteroid cloud. If the Falcon had not been leaving they could have been searching for WEEKS>

What detonated was the damn main defector on the Odessey. The Jem H'dar ship is seen intact as the explosion is forming. Also note that the jem H'dar fighter that flew THROUGH klingon ships were not destroyed, only damaged.

Sorry, Death Star is based on proven technologies. The Superlaser was hardly unique, nor was the hypermatter reactor. The Rebel Alliance has plans for both Death Stars and easily the resources to build it. There were two total Genesis devices both built by David and despite his mother knowing what he did there has NEVER been another.

You don't have them yet and who knows what side they would be on. Maybe the Federation of the future is a state within the Empire.

It had trouble getting through the belt, dumb ass and TIE's are only ten meters, at best. Besides your primative 25 toin weaponry would scratch a TIE.

Are you smoking crack or what? If there is a Barrier around the Sol system why isn't it mentioned more often. Why can flimsy ships that can't handle 25 ton weaponry handle this barrier? If they can why would a ship designed to handle mulitple 12.5 gigaton strikes going to be bothered?

14. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

with all those defences how the hell did that cube get so close to earth?

Maybe we should launch a hypermatter reactor into jupiter, perhaps it goes nova, bye bye earth :shrug: butt i don't think we would do that because earth can be valuable to us.

I don't see the sun reflecting on an isd though? gungan shields are different.

scott i have a question. a mirror should reflect lazers doesn't it? Amidala ships had shiny armor looking like a giant mirror. would normal lazers jusr be redirected? Isn't that proof that sw lazers aren't lazers at all:shrug:

I wonder if St-tech can detect SW-cloaks?

can't we clone luke? lot's of jedi's

Kittamaru i read a few times that a ST ship can warp around an spaceship but i also know warp can be penetrated by objects.
    I you would warp around an isd we wouldn't even have to shout accurate. just fire and you slam into the torpedo's yourself. you'll be going so fast that your phasers whouldn't have the time to fire. if we fire and we did't hit you you'll pass many times so that same shot will defenaty hit you. Every shot would be a hit.
    Just launch some droidfighters and you slam into them.
    Nope i don't think warping around a ship would be an option except if you're suicidal.

15. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Exactly the point everyone was thinking, lol

Notice SW shields only have that refection in atmosphere. More likely a interation with air.

Yes a perfect mirror should reflect lasers, but a flawed one, like chrome would not do it as well. Still you have a point the bolts should have glanced off sue to the angle alone if they were lasers.

Considering they lose ships in a magnetic pole....no.

Evil thought

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*sighs* Scott scott scott... back to insults instead of facts... I guess you ran out?

It's not lazy to use harmonics- an electromagnetic shield MUST have a frequency. It's the entire BASIS of energy... unless of course Wars ships operate on DC Current? That'd be a lark... everything you have said about power would be utterly false if that was the case.

You DO know how alternative current works, right? You do? Good. Then you know shields would have to flicker based on that alone.

And Trek shields frequency has NOTHING to do with the ships own weapons fire. Nor does it have to do with shuttles leaving (if you've noticed, I have YET to see them drop shields to let a shuttlecraft LEAVE the ship). Things can pass OUT of the shield just fine- it's entering that the shield works.

As I said- wars shields, the way you describe them, simply do not cover the weapon points of origin- an easy solution right there is to target said weapons and melt them via phaser burst. No more weapons, no more direct threat. Capture the ships and dissect them for information.

It was not the main deflector going off- watch the damn scene again! The main deflector is on the RIGHT! The SHIPS LEFT NACELL exploaded BEFORE impact. That shows a core breach/explosion.

Why can Trek shields handle the barrier? Shield Harmonics- Scotty said it himself when they encountered it. Wars ships don't have them, so YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Maybe Gungan shields ARE different, but they are the only ones EVER shown blocking actual matter attacks. Is that why the Vong magma weapons are such a problem for Alliance ships?

The reason that cube got so close to Earth is:

1) TransWarp Conduits
    2) It's a BORG CUBE. It's fucking HUGE and damn near indestructible.
    3) It was a running fight since long before the Sol system.

And scott, once again, we don't loose ships in a magnetic pole. We merely switch to another sensor set or refine our search. We don't usually operate inside of the atmosphere (most of our ships aren't designed to do so as, you know, we're pretty peaceful m'kay?) so it's considered a special operation. Now you're flying tin cans might not be designed for extended encounters in space buuuut thats no reason to say the same for ours

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not really mate. Phasers are a sublight weapon, thus not useful at warp. However, photon, quantum, tricobalt, and hellfire torpedos are warp weapons and also have the added velocity of the ships initial speed at the time of firing.

We have navigational deflectors to push smaller objects out of the way when at warp (IE, small ships if need be)

The idea of warping around a Wars ship would be they would never get an accurate lock- they have shown an astounding inability to hit fast moving targets (even when "fast" is sublight) so how would they EVER hope to hit something going even 5 million times the speed of light (obviously we wouldn't warp around you at warp 9.99, though warp 2 or 3 would suffice)

Also, don't forget how warp works. Since Wars weapons do not have warp fields around them (as do Trek torpedos), they would be affected in funky fresh new ways as they are expanded and compressed by the ships warp engines. I doubt your torpedo's are designed to handle spacial compression.

18. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

I'm just curious,

If the space you warp into is so small. How the hell can you compress and expand space at the same time?

I'm not doughting that ST ships can warp around a huge planet or so but think about it a ISD is what? 1.5 km long and less high. By the time you compress space your expanding it.
    In fact we don't have to target you because at that speed your are completely around us. you would pass millons of times in a second.

as what happens to a torpedo when it's compressed i have no clue, but sensiteve materials being compressed and expanded thousands of times in a second ? i wouldn't wanna be neer of of those.

19. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Short jump warping would result in the ISD experiencing the effect of the Picard Manuevre multiple times (once per warp jump). Yes it is a waste of energy, but it isn't dangerous for a Fed ship to do so. With multiple sensor ghosts to shoot at and the notoriously bad (canon) aim of the general Empire troops, and ISD probably would not survive a quantum or tricobalt torpedo assault of a ship executing short range warping for very long.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not only that, but you brought up some good points in that message Enterprise.

What would happen to your beloved Corcurant if we started a Metreon Cascade on it?

And there is always the Phase Cloak tested and failed by the romulans because of it's massive power usage. The Future Tech from Voyager would likely allow it to be used (the Krenim ships used something like this)

Pulling your ship out of phase with reality would rend it invulnerable to most (if not all) weapons fire.

21. Saquist Banned Banned

The only difference between the two is their inability to cover an entire vessel. Star Wars shields have cracks between the shields. Or like with fighters they aren not omni directional but only cover certain arcs.

Unfortunantly...any shield that blocks coherent colored light opperates on shield frequency or harmonic. Star Wars lasers are definitely coherent frequency weapons.

Negative.
    The "Odyssey" did not blow due to the Deflector. I must say your lack of knowledge of starship layout is completely surprising. The Jem'Hadar vessel struct at the Hydrogen storage tank just below the vessel "neck" which is for or five decks tall.

Notice how the ship remained intact for a few seconds. While the hull gave the vessel survived the collision. The explosion was likely a breach in that storage tank much like the Shuttl Challenger's explosion.

An abundant amount of oxygen, a lit match and a pure fuel source. The delay was likely due to the time of reaction.

negligable: Neither in Star Trek nor Star Wars can visual effects can be taken so seriously. When one does it's a sign of desperation.

The facts are the collision didn't cause the ships destruction.

Yet the same is true. The plans of the Genesis devise are part of Star Fleet record. Proto matter is a substance that exist in Neblas and has been seen multiple times since ST:II. The Device is thus replicatable.

That's all for now!

22. Saquist Banned Banned

P.S

You should listen to Kittamaru about the sensors and the First Contact Borg attack.

The enterprise reaquired the ship on sensor very very easily. I believe your argument there is what you would call a "strawman" I prefer the term "scarecrow tactics"

I mean look at it. You know that Trek sensors in the same situation preform beter than Star Wars. Asteroid field to Aseroid field. Enerprise found the Pegasus just by scanning the right aseroid....The Tie's and Star Destroyers lost a tracked object...(the Falcon) in numerous ways in that entire movie. Once in the cave and again after the falcon landed on the control tower.

Those events are inexplicable.

Secondly the Admiral in First Contact reported that the Cube was reported near a system near Deep Space 5...."Deep Space" being the key word here.

The Star Trek Star Charts show that Deep Space 5 and the system the Borg were discovered at are very close to each other within 4 light years and the Earth's system is over 60 lightyears away...

At the observered speen of Warp 9.6 it would take weeks to travel to Sector 001

Also substaniated is the Enterprise location at the Romulan Neutral Zone at the time so 25 light years from Earth.

23. FoolFromHell Photons be Free. Registered Senior Member

Oh damn. This still going on ?
    HAHA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.