Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Star trek's cannon

The Star Trek canon comprises the five live-action television series and ten motion pictures. The animated series, novels, comic books, video games, and other materials based on Star Trek, though licensed by CBS Paramount, are generally considered non-canon, as are fan-made (or "fanon") productions set within the Star Trek universe.[29]

The Star Trek novels typically fill "holes" in the Star Trek story and timeline, with explanations of events that have never been thoroughly explained through live action productions. Many have been accepted by Trek fans as part of the Star Trek canon, even though CBS, owners of the Star Trek franchise, say otherwise.[29] Several authors have created spin-off series that are self-contained within their novels.[30]

Outside of the television series and the Paramount Pictures-produced motion pictures, the Star Trek franchise has been officially expanded and elaborated by various authors and artists, despite the fact that CBS does not consider these derivative works canon. These works' creators are generally free to tell their own stories set in the Star Trek universe, and are free either to keep an existing continuity, or to use their own. (Similarly, writers for TV and film are under no obligation to pay heed to any of the derivative works.) These works often expand the back stories of characters, species, planets, etc., already seen in the official live-action productions. For example, the Voyager novels Mosaic and Pathways give background information for characters in the Voyager live-action series. These are usually in the printed form, usually in the form of novels and reference manuals, but also manga.

The Star Trek series have also inspired many unofficial fan-made productions. For example, in recent years, Star Trek fan films have been created for distribution over the Internet.[31][32] Currently, Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, which is a continuation of the time line after the Dominion War from the perspective of a station and fleet in the Briar Patch, and Star Trek: New Voyages, a "continuation" of the original Star Trek, are prominent fan series. While none of these projects are licensed by CBS, some have attracted participation from television and film series' cast and crew.[33] One fan production, Star Trek: Of Gods and Men, features several veteran Trek actors, with Voyager star Tim Russ directing and reprising his role of Tuvok.[34]

I'm confused... it sounds like Paramount says one thing, CBS says another, and Gene Roddenburry said a completely different thing.

I appologize for the sidelong tangent- I'm trying to find what sources I can actually trust.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Also, Scott, a question for you:

In 2010 a new Star Trek series is supposed to debute, going into full production in 2008/2009. It would be set 150 years into the future after Nemesis/TNG.

Would this be considered cannon material? Assuming the natural progression of tech and such, would info taken from the scripts be considered cannon?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(NCC-1701-J)

The Ent-J is, apparently, capable of temporal incursion. As it was directly referenced (and seen) in Enterprise I assume it's good to use in this. Does this mean that the Federation can simply go back in time to the launch (or even building) of the Imperial vessels and destroy them before they launch?

It's safe to say they could avoid the whole paradox thing, as they managed to do so in the episode. (temporal shielding or something?)

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well if you are super strict you go by Gene who said "It's not Star Trek unless I say so." Less strict would be Paramounts "Shows and Movies and that's it folks" there is no third option.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Small problem on Enterprise having violated the canon history of the earlier series. Meaning that either TOS, TNG, VOY and DS9 happened or Enterprise happened. Either or.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Kit, stop with the canon arguments I used Ultra canon for each genre and shopwed conclusively that e Turbolaser can do far more damage than a ST ships sheidls could withstand.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

it was sanctioned by paramount though... history violation or not it is still considered Cannon isn't it?

There are things in the Novels that aren't 100% accurate verbetum to the Wars timeline, yet they are still accepted.

Granted, I hate Enterprise for the fact it seriously mucked with the Timeline set by TOS and TNG but Paramount's word is higher than my own.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I'm not trying to use canon arguments, I'm trying to determine what is true canon so I can get my facts in better order. Right now I know Wars is including a lot of novels, but not all, which is throwing me off.

What novels are Canon, which are EU, what's the difference, and what are so out in left field they aren't counted?

This is why I like my understanding of Trek cannon- TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy, Ent, and Movies, at least according to paramount/cbs.

13. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Anything that flies 100% in tghe face of canon should be eliminated. the Fed's first contact with the Ferengi was not until TNG. As stated very explicityly in that series and DS9. Also the first warp powered ship happened after the Pilot of TOS. Spock was the first Vulcan on a federation ship and so on. Enterprise is nothing more than a what if?

And where they disagree the canon takes precedence over novel. But if the story goes to far against canon then it isn't canon.

But it is not higher than Gene's, Gene set the timeline. The timeline is thus frozen in stone until Gene says differently and since Gene can't due to his own demise, Enterprise is nothing but a shitty what if.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Trek is TOS, TNG, VOY, DS9 and Movies, it is best to leave Ent out of it becuase it invalidates everything about the rest.

As for Star Wars look up a good Star Wars timeline and that will give a good starting point.

15. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, but by that reasoning it means DS9 and Voyager are non cannon as well as most of the movies.

And what about the new series they want to make, set after TNG?

16. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Scott, the problem is the Star Wars timeline is HUGE. Going directly off the numbers given, it "supposedly" starts before our universe was ever created (pre big bang if you're scientific, pre-creation if your religious- I'm both so i think God started the Big Bang, but meh, anyway)

If this is true then has their universe collapsed and re-expanded? is it open or closed circle? How can they still have that many "living" solarsystems. Things like that make me wonder just where we should include the cutoff dates.

Trek's timeline includes the beginning of Time for the Sol system (earth). That's pretty long in itself, but it includes the advent of technology. Star Wars just seems to start with some races being super-advanced, which confuses me.

17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Hey, DS9 and Voyager were at least from notes. Anything future set is fine as long as they remeber that ST seems to have a 20 years = 100% increase in ability growth over all.

18. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

No, you misread the Big Bang was 7.5 billion years before A New Hope. Which puts A New Hope 6.2 billion years ago. SW is not pre big bang at all.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Ah, I thought you said Wars timeline started 87 bil years ago though?

Or do I have my times mixed up...

I dunno... it's 3 am right now *laughs* I should probably head to bed... well, no bother now... I have to be up at 8 for work XD

So, anyway, if Wars is so old, how have they managed to avoid any planetary extinction crisis'? Resources wouldn't support people on a planet for that long... eventually natural resources would run out and artificial sources can only do so much.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I do wonder though about what was said about the Death Star and, indeed, any Wars ship... just how do they generate that power. It can't be fusion or fission... it's just not possible via nuclear technology given the amount of fuel you would need. Even M/AM wouldn't really manage that... dark matter maybe? Or perhaps via Quantum Entanglement generate power elsewhere and "give" it to the ship? (would that even work?)

21. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

Scott, you seem to be in all this power stuff; a litlle question for you :
    Howmuch power would it take to turn Jupiter into a giant fireball?

Does SW have a ship that can generate this power (bside ds)

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Not much Vasago- Jupiter almost became our second sun... I think it only needs like, 5-12% more mass and it would begin nuclear reactions and burst into life.

Which would suck for us XD

23. Lord Vasago bcd Registered Senior Member

scott can u pm me some good sites for starwars (Mainley pictures and bluepints of vessels and transport.

Kittamaru can u do the same for Startrek?

Can anyone give me blueprints of firefly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.