Star Wars vs Star Trek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 9, 2002.

?

Which universe would win?

1. Star Trek

227 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Star Wars

268 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Spaceballs

47 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Farscape

12 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Dune

50 vote(s)
    7.8%
  6. Stargate

36 vote(s)
    5.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, Trek combines an Alcubierre drive with faster than c travel.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saquist Banned Banned

One of the biggest concerns about the reality of the warp drive throuh the alcubierre theory is that the ship wouldn't be able to disengage the drive because the flow of causality would be interrupted....Sounds like the Soliton Wave.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. George1 Registered Senior Member

dudes, warp drive is basically literally warping space in front and behind, thus taking the ship from one point in space to another, very distant or not, point in space, but it implies absolutely no motion in the conventional sense. unless we include the dilatation and contraction of space as a kind of motion. but other than that, there is no motion indeed.
    hey, what happen to Belive?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

That's the thing - in Trek there is motion, as is evidenced by ships "crashing" back to impulse - the ship most definitely has inertia while at Warp (as opposed to being stationary and moving the universe around it).

Other evidence of this - Voyager going to warp without stable inertial dampeners and a failing warp field - parts of the hull plating, literally, were ripping off the ship. I'll try and find the video after school.

8. George1 Registered Senior Member

another thing from that, if warp was Alcubierre drive, there is NO NEED FOR INERTIAL DAMPERS! there is no motion in it. you don't have to worry about relativistic effects, and so on. another thing i don't get is why they were limited to warp 9. technically, there would be no limit.only velocity would have a limit. but Alcubierre drive implies zero motion.and space is highly flexible. take wormholes. technically, a wormhole is a tunnel through space, and it has been showed that it can take from one side of the universe to the other. so that episode in TNG when it is showed that warp drive weakens space, its obvious not Alcubierre drive. its a form of motion. but i might take conclusions to fast.

9. Saquist Banned Banned

That's true...never considered that.

10. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I assume you are speaking of Saxton and Wong. There is actually quite a bit of evidence to both indivicuals degrees. Forst Saxtons is a well known astrophysicist in the field and well regarded with several published papers. You can actually look up Wong's Engineering degree, provided you at least pretend you are trying to hire him.

As for Kitt's IQ score, I have no doubt he has a 140. However just having a high IQ does not make you an expert in anything. I could list mine to quell any arguments. However my sister has a 148 herself, but she is absolutely terrible at science. Her forte happens to be English, Literature, and composition. My father who was a Broadcast Engineer, fully FCC licensed, was brilliant at math and science, but was pretty piss poor at long term planning. My mother who has a Bachelors in accounting and Psychology is brilliant at the psychology, competent in mathematics and knows enough science to understand some of the smart people humor in :the Big Bang Theory". Still they all derfer to my analsys of a war between SW and ST, mostly becuase my areas of expertise are mathematics, strategic thinking, and most sciences.

11. George1 Registered Senior Member

thank you Scott for settling that! indeed, both have proven degrees in science, and IQ has not that much to do with it. as i said before, some retarded people with low IQ's have the ability to simply solve extremely complex tasks, that someone wit an 140 would still take minutes. they just KNOW the answer. IQ no IQ test i toke actually had any scientific question. most have math and logic. math and logic are not necessary sciences. dose logic dictates virtual particles (subatomic particles that simply jumps into existence, and then vanishes)? or tachyons? take a hard science quiz to determine your lv of scientific understanding. because both Wong and Saxton had to take very hard tests to earn their degree. understand what i say?

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*shakes head* Both of you just demonstrated an amazing ability to completely miss the point... those degrees mean virtually nothing unless the people writing those shows also had said degrees... you cannot begin to tell me that you honestly expect every material in Star Wars has an MSDS, that every asteroid's composition was carefully designed and measured, and that every weapon was meticulously constructed so as to follow the laws of Thermodynamics, among many other things.

Thus, such attempts at using those degrees to validate information, especially in the face of such overwhelming evidence that they who have those degrees are wrong, is a simply Appeal to Authority fallacy.

13. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Oh, okay now I got the names.

Exactly my point, I am a certified genius, but I don't use it to say "I win you lose".

I can't say I am an expert in anything, because I don't have any credentials, a "certain district school board" doesn't allow me to get my high school credits early, even though I can.

14. George1 Registered Senior Member

and did we did those kind of claims?? no, and if you understand them as such, it is not my problem!
    no, its just taking what smart people have to say about it, and presenting it to the debate. besides, even if they had no degree in science, they made pretty good points, with far more observations.

15. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Dude...I didn't say they didn't. Besides that WAS MY POINT IN THE BEGINNING, OF COURSE I UNDERSTAND.

A better example George will be some savants.

Well it is our ENVIRONMENT that doesn't allow some of us to think quantum particles, so it takes someone that can THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX to innovate. Those theories makes mathematical sense. They are not that hard to understand. It just takes "using your noodle" (as my clarinet instructor likes to say). Einstein said imagination precedes logic (iirc that is) in science. LMAO did you just say "math and logic are not necessary sciences"? Check your definitions buddy. I think you wanted to say "math and logic are not necessary in science" and what you said is false, logic and math are necessities in doing proper science. You might get an inspiration, and you might have imagination, but knowledge and logic are needed to refine it, inspiration and imagination can only be starts, they aren't everything. The math makes sense in quantum physics.

I have taken a lot of SAT practice tests ( they are not really hard, but I can't find much harder ones, I find some in OCW and those are about it ). I do SAT practices on a regular basis, just want to see what would have happened if I didn't live in where I am right now.....with the dumb school board.

16. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

The point Kittamaru was trying to make is the show is an art, and they have science degrees......the people that made the show are artists, they are scientists and engineers. When canon contradicts with science, canon wins because it is an ART. I know, it is hard to understand unless you are both an artist AND proficient in science, Albert Einstein probably does amongst many others ( I am an instrumentalist ).

They are ACCOMPLISHED and CERTIFIED professionals, thy might be smart ( I won't doubt it ), it is not because they are smart that they have those degrees. You are pulling INTELLIGENCE, instead of accomplishment.

17. George1 Registered Senior Member

you missed my first point! what i was saying was tha few IQ tests have any real science in it. science is NOT 100% accurate, while math IS! the statement here is that an IQ test means little to actual science. sure, having a big IQ proves you can understand complex things, but not necessary science.
    by the way, what you said in the second post made no sense.
    the show is an art, and they have science degrees......the people that made the show are artists, they are scientists and engineers. what do you mean by that? they DON'T have science degrees,and are not scientists and engineers if that's what you meant. and your right. like Belive's claim that the DS had to have fuel tanks bigger than itself. it obvious doesn't.
    by smart i meant science degree and advance science understanding. my bad, i should have formulate on it.

18. George1 Registered Senior Member

by the way, have you checked the site i gave with the clone wars?
    and guess who's back!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

QUI-GON JINN!!:xctd:

19. George1 Registered Senior Member

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Here's the thing... an IQ test isn't really a test of intelligence per say - it is a comparison of your mental age (which is a derivative of your development compared against what the so called "standard" development) divided by your physical age, multiplied by 100.

Thus, if you are 10 years old, and can work at a 15 year old level, your IQ would be 15/10 * 100 = 150.

21. George1 Registered Senior Member

so, taking your high IQ (not necessary yourself) and using it to say that means your good at science is completely bullshit? duh. i toke many IQ tests, and they gave me points ranging from 90 to 200! which is ridiculous really! it dose not affect my understanding of science in any way. neither it dose to you. so Einstein could had have, i am exaggerating quit a bit, an IQ of 100. in true, for some special people an IQ dose in fact reflects their knowledge, while for others it is totally opposed. take the fictional character from Fringe, Walter Bishop. i don't know if you watched Fringe. its by,surprise, J.J. Abrams. any way, hes quite a bit retarded, but pretty much the smartest guy in the world.

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

uhm... no IQ test should EVER put you into the 200's... unless you're a massive savant...

Now, do keep in mind - internet IQ tests really don't mean anything... if you want to get a feel for it, request to see for a real IQ test from your counselor at school.

However, the whole reason I brought the IQ thing up was to show just how silly it was to use labels like that... just because I could be certified as "gifted" bordering on "genius", it doesn't make me any more or less qualified to comment... just like a degree in astrophysics doesn't mean you have any more weight in your arguments (for Wong/Saxton)

23. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

Math is a science buddy, also the science you were talking about is evolving.

I know what IQ tests are like, I have taken them. I know their point, I asked about it and had it explained to me by a professional that was impressed with my scores.

A lot of kids in the gifted program are not the brightest bulbs in science......I know first hand your post so I didn't say anything about it. I know what IQ is, I asked and had it explained by the professional that tested me and I read about it.

IQ have its perks, that is undeniable.

Sorry, I am talking about Saxton and Wong having degrees in science, but both of the series are ART, should have specified, my bad.

We both had flaws in our posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.